PDA

View Full Version : Just Got my Jackie Robinson Calendar w/ new pics

toyman55
07-17-2013, 05:13 PM
OK, so I posted earlier this vintage Calendar I bought and it was suggested I take off the plastic cover which I did and I lifted the calendar insert which did show a difference in color. Here are the pictures of it now and would love opinions on my purchase.
Under the calendar when you lift the picture is a telephone directory, the back has a name on it and it is made in the USA. The black backing was not attached.

I have a Jackie Robinson cut autograph that I originally was going to frame with an old comic of his until I saw this which I thought would be great, especially if it is real.

thanks,
Shale

murphusa
07-17-2013, 06:35 PM
even though Jackie who pictured on a calendar during this time period, everyone one of these types that I have ever seen were fantasy items.

Sorry just my opinion on what I have seen over 30 years

toyman55
07-17-2013, 10:08 PM
Are you saying this is not a vintage calendar, but a reproduction?

murphusa
07-18-2013, 05:04 AM
Never saw a Jackie calendar like these until 1999. In a bio of Jackie that came out in 1998 it mentioned that he put his name on calendars etc. in a chapter titled 1953-1955

Right after that they appeared, all always mint. Two types, one like yours and one in a lanscape view. One for 53 and one for 55.

Could be real but as someone who collected baseball calendars, I never liked the look of these.

There was a 1973 Jackie calendar from the brown and bigalow series

toyman55
07-18-2013, 05:40 AM
I am beginning to think this could be fake. Ive seen two others sell at auctions for over $300.00 in the past. What bothers me most is the calendar pages all appear to be the same color with no tanning. The staples however do show age. I paid $200.00 which is a lot if it is a reproduction.