PDA

View Full Version : Tampered Ruth case

conor912
07-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Is it just me, or does this slab have some major red flags?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-Goudey-Babe-Ruth-Card-144-PSA-3-VG-Yankees-HOF-/400530795870?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item5d417eed5e

thehoodedcoder
07-16-2013, 08:45 PM
i don't think there is any doubt that it has been opened.

kevin

vintagecpa
07-16-2013, 08:46 PM
I think this industry is in a lot of trouble. Hardly a day passes when people on this board are debating whether a TPG case is cracked, tampered with or counterfeited. I can only imagine the debates going on with non-vintage card forums.

vintagetoppsguy
07-16-2013, 09:05 PM
At first, it looked good to me. Then I saw those two cracks on the back of the slab. :confused:

conor912
07-16-2013, 09:12 PM
Yeah, but it was the top 2/3s being frosted and bottom third not that first caught my eye. The cracks just co firm for for me.

sbfinley
07-16-2013, 09:37 PM
I can't recall a thread outing a cracked SGC or BVG holder. I have nothing against PSA and use their services. I'm just saying.

smtjoy
07-16-2013, 09:40 PM
The whole right side looks to have been pried open, you can even see 2 bumps on the edge/middle of the side. When I crack psa slabs, the same thing can happen because of my screwdriver too.

auggiedoggy
07-17-2013, 03:22 PM
That holder has more frosting than a birthday cake! :rolleyes:

CharleyBrown
07-17-2013, 03:30 PM
This is one of the main reasons why I am so hesitant to buy a Ruth, Gehrig, etc. on eBay.

HOF Auto Rookies
07-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Regardless of the slab, big question is, is the card real? I'm not a Goudey expert, but it does look good

vintagetoppsguy
07-17-2013, 03:49 PM
I'm not a Goudey expert, but it does look good

The card looks good to me too (and I'm certainly no expert either), but the corners look a bit odd. They all have the same even amount of wear.

HOF Auto Rookies
07-17-2013, 04:12 PM
The card looks good to me too (and I'm certainly no expert either), but the corners look a bit odd. They all have the same even amount of wear.

I noticed that too, but a lot of my goudey's I have have similar wear, but will admit, the wear on the Ruth's look 'too perfect', if that makes any sense

Clutch-Hitter
07-17-2013, 04:29 PM
It's strange how it's seated in the holder too.

It would be hard to tell if an SGC holder had been cracked because they're very easy to open. That's not a big issue though since we're looking at the card first and foremost.

Beckett's are tough but the view of the card is not always entirely clear.

All three companies have issues and crooks will find a way.

HOF Auto Rookies
07-17-2013, 04:44 PM
It's strange how it's seated in the holder too.

It would be hard to tell if an SGC holder had been cracked because they're very easy to open. That's not a big issue though since we're looking at the card first and foremost.

Beckett's are tough but the view of the card is not always entirely clear.

All three companies have issues and crooks will find a way.

Do you think it may be that it's diamond cut? Kind of looks like it...

Clutch-Hitter
07-18-2013, 06:26 AM
Do you think it may be that it's diamond cut? Kind of looks like it...

Hey Brent,

Front is sitting fine, was referring to the back, lower right corner that gives the impression the holder isn't secure.

I was using a phone yesterday, but now that I'm at the computer, the paper and printing don't look right either. Evenly worn, rounded corners are not rare with the thick cardboard on which '33 Goudeys were printed but still, to me, the back is always easier to tell a fake and that one looks funny, like the letters seem to be sitting on the paper instead of having the embedded appearance of an original. Also, '33 Goudey fronts bleed through most of the time, some more than others, and this one has no indicators that I can see.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards
07-19-2013, 08:52 AM
I didn't really notice anything .... until I saw the back :eek:

cardsfan73
07-19-2013, 11:05 PM
I have contacted the seller on three occasions letting him know I was interested in the card but requested better scans/photos of the card before bidding.

0 replies, that tells me a lot. If I were selling a legit high end item I would have no problem supplying quality scans/photos to an interested parties. The lack of reply from the seller tells me all I need to know.

Leon
07-20-2013, 05:51 PM
I can't tell for sure either but this auction makes me uncomfortable on a few levels. Buyer beware. And there looks to be partially erased marks on the back near the bottom of the card....

the 'stache
07-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Oh good lord. :mad:

I'm reporting it. I suggest everybody else do the same.

the 'stache
07-20-2013, 06:08 PM
Additionally, look at the comments on the negative feedback in the last 12 months.