PDA

View Full Version : Four Phillies with brain cancer - coincidence?

RobertGT
07-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Interesting article in today's Philadelphia Inquirer. However, I think it's quite a leap to suggest there is a link between the old Vet and the brain cancer cases of McGraw, Oates, Vukovich and now Daulton.

http://www.philly.com/philly/health/cancer/20130716_Four_Phils_and_brain_cancer__Connection_o r_coincidence_.html

39special
07-16-2013, 02:59 PM
I was listening to WIP the other day and they said there were 5.I can't remember who the other player was.I hope Dutch pulls through.He was a big part of the '93 team.

novakjr
07-16-2013, 05:25 PM
Not to go all conspiracy theory on this, BUT

from Wiki..
"Prior to building Veterans Stadium across Packer Avenue north of JFK Stadium was family entertainment of a bowling alley, and a drive-in theater that was a venue created by Camden, New Jersey, chemical company magnate Richard M. Hollingshead, Jr., whose family owned and operated the R.M. Hollingshead Corporation chemical plant in Camden and that peaked in popularity in the 1950s and 1960s."

Any chance there was funny business going on with chemicals on the site at some point?

39special
07-16-2013, 05:39 PM
There have been alot of stadium employees over the years.I wonder if any of them have had any problems?

chris6net
07-21-2013, 10:19 AM
I was listening to WIP the other day and they said there were 5.I can't remember who the other player was.I hope Dutch pulls through.He was a big part of the '93 team.

The article also mentions Ken Brett so he might be the fifth. Lets hope DD pulls through.

D. Bergin
07-21-2013, 01:23 PM
I remember there was a bit of a panic back in the 80's about The Meadowlands when several New York Giants developed cancer, including Doug Kotar and John Tuggle.

novakjr
07-21-2013, 02:16 PM
I remember there was a bit of a panic back in the 80's about The Meadowlands when several New York Giants developed cancer, including Doug Kotar and John Tuggle.

Again, not to be the conspiracy theorist here, but look at the history of the New Jersey Meadowlands...

"Reclamation, land making, and development. In addition to landfill from garbage, landmass generated from dredging was also used to create new land. Some material came from building the World Trade Center."

"Pollution by sewage, refuse, and hazardous waste: various types of waste have been dumped legally and illegally in the Meadowlands. During World War II, military refuse was dumped in the Meadowlands, including rubble from London created by the Blitz and used as ballast in returning ships. After the war, the Meadowlands continued to be used for civilian waste disposal, as the marshes were seen simply as wastelands that were not good for anything else."