PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on GAI

Gobucsmagic74
07-15-2013, 05:03 PM
I'm new, and not sure exactly where to put this, but I'm wondering everyone's opinion on purchasing pre-war cards graded by Global Authenticators Inc? Has anyone ever had trouble crossing over from GAI to PSA or SGC? I'm not so concerned about the grade crossing over laterally, more about GAI potentially assigning grades to cards that may not be originals or may potentially be altered? Any insight is appreciated

ethicsprof
07-15-2013, 05:08 PM
in its early years, I liked it quite a bit---always thought it to be in the
top 3 and even remembering considering it better than psa at times.
out of nowhere, it seemed, the company folded and we were all frantic
because some of our cards were still with them.
This passed but many of us remain quite cautious---unless it is from the
ancient days of gai. I guess in this case, it's more 'buy the card, not the holder'.

all the best,
barry

CMIZ5290
07-15-2013, 05:13 PM
Barry's right. I remember when they first came out, their cards were selling for more than comparable PSA grades. I also remember the very same thing with Beckett. Both did not last very long as far as that goes. Bottomline, PSA is the best avenue especially for return on investment, especially higher graded vintage cards....

lharri3600
07-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Barry's right. I remember when they first came out, their cards were selling for more than comparable PSA grades. I also remember the very same thing with Beckett. Bottomline, in my opinion, PSA is the best avenue especially for return on investment....

i agree

CMIZ5290
07-15-2013, 05:26 PM
I will add this, I have a couple of high grade T206 HOFers that were graded in the early stages of GAI. I am convinced that they are unaltered....

Gobucsmagic74
07-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Thanks gentlemen. Assuming the card passes the eye test, would you all feel comfortable bidding on a card graded by GAI with the short-term plan of crossing it over? I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any horror stories or if I should feel fairly confident in GAI's ability to authenticate true originals and pick up on any potential alterations? Can I post a link to the ebay auction? Is that allowed or should that be done in another thread?

CMIZ5290
07-15-2013, 05:39 PM
No confidence in bidding on GAI cards, for what that's worth. If you are looking to buy some cheaply and cross them, I think you will find that to be a rough ride....I would have more confidence in Beckett graded cards, just my opinion

Gobucsmagic74
07-15-2013, 05:50 PM
No confidence in bidding on GAI cards, for what that's worth. If you are looking to buy some cheaply and cross them, I think you will find that to be a rough ride....I would have more confidence in Beckett graded cards, just my opinion

It's not so much that I'm trying to buy cheaply, it's a mid-grade 19th century issue that I'm considering. Interestingly the seller has other cards from the same issue in mid-grade PSA holders as well (both currently for sale and recently sold). He says his dad used different third party authenticators and his inventory seems to confirm that.

AddieJoss
07-15-2013, 05:57 PM
I have had 2 cards that were sent back as altered after I popped them out of GAI holders. I always assume if the card is still in a GAI holder, the owner couldn't cross it over for whatever reason. So I stay away.

Gobucsmagic74
07-15-2013, 06:03 PM
I have had 2 cards that were sent back as altered after I popped them out of GAI holders. I always assume if the card is still in a GAI holder, the owner couldn't cross it over for whatever reason. So I stay away.

Thanks

EvilKing00
07-15-2013, 08:19 PM
i would not bid on a GIA card unless its way cheep and worth the risk of being a fake or altered. (i have never done so so far)

HRBAKER
07-15-2013, 08:33 PM
My thought, I think I'll pass.

smtjoy
07-15-2013, 08:43 PM
I avoid bidding unless its a card I can live with as an auth

ZernialFan
07-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Bought a number of GAI early when they came out and a few later. Taking a risk
unless you can get for much lower than the card normally sells. Popped all and about half were altered. I now stay away as they were more trouble than it was
worth.

Gobucsmagic74
07-15-2013, 08:52 PM
There definitely seems to be a consensus here. I guess I'll check back with you all once I decide and if I bid and win will share pics and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for all your shared insight!

ullmandds
07-15-2013, 09:00 PM
I had a delong gehrig in a gai holder...it was graded G+. It crossed uneventfully.

Sean1125
07-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Memorabilia/authentication is horrible... early holders okay beware of trimmed cards some are legit.

the 'stache
07-15-2013, 09:21 PM
Sean et all, I would ask how one would differentiate between a card graded by GAI a long time ago, and one graded not long before they went out of business. I know that PSA's flips have gone through many incarnations, for example. Did GAI's flips change over time as well?

I don't plan on buying any GAI-graded cards, but you never know when the knowledge could come in handy.

Thanks!

Fred
07-15-2013, 10:44 PM
I didn't think GAI authenticated "fake" cards however I'm sure they graded a few trimmed cards. Bid at your own risk.

joeadcock
07-15-2013, 11:51 PM
Here is a GAI 8.5. I sent it to SGC one month ago.
Result is SGC 50.

robw1959
07-16-2013, 12:19 AM
I've had many T206 cards graded accurately by GAI with no problem whatsoever. When they went down I crossed over my authentic Ruth W516 strip card (the one as a Yanks pitcher) to SGC with no problem either. The only gripe I ever had with them is that it took an ETERNITY (like 6-8 weeks+) to get my cards back.

drcy
07-16-2013, 01:50 AM
The below is what the original/early labels look like:

http://vintagegradedbaseballcards.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Perez.png

Gobucsmagic74
07-16-2013, 04:58 AM
The below is what the original/early labels look like:

http://vintagegradedbaseballcards.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Perez.png

Any examples of what the newer one's look like? The card I'm looking at does appear to be an old label, but for future reference.

Gobucsmagic74
07-16-2013, 05:00 AM
Result is SGC 50.

Yeah I assume the card I'm interested in is overgraded. It is housed in a GAI 5 slab but looks more like a SGC/PSA 4 to me, which I'd be thrilled with frankly

toledo_mudhen
07-16-2013, 05:04 AM
Really bad luck with crossing GAIs although I have seen more "did not meet minimum" than anything else. For what it's worth - not much more luck with crossing BGS either.

Gobucsmagic74
07-16-2013, 05:07 AM
I'm guessing this may be an example of a newer GAI slab?

ScottFandango
07-16-2013, 05:17 AM
I think psa has a company policy to NEVER grade a GAI crossover....

Only chance to get it in a PSA holder is crack it out and hope its not trimmed....

Surprised SGC would do it, albeit at a much lower grade....

For a year or so there, during GAI's demise, there seemed to be a mad rush to cross these over....so whatever is left in these GAI slabs, I deem uncrossable and a high risk of it being trimmed IMHO

Frank A
07-16-2013, 05:39 AM
I have never had a problem crossing GAI cards. Frank

Gobucsmagic74
07-16-2013, 05:44 AM
I have never had a problem crossing GAI cards. Frank

Crossing to SGC, PSA, or both? I intend to use SGC. Thanks for your help!

wastewater
07-16-2013, 08:36 AM
I've handled a number of GAI over the years and only questioned one of them as altered. That said, I haven't kept a lot of them in my collection due to the tarnishment of their brand at the end.

Rich Klein
07-16-2013, 09:24 AM
will be open on Monday

Gobucsmagic74
07-16-2013, 09:32 AM
will be open on Monday

?????

Leon
07-16-2013, 09:40 AM
?????

At the end of the first GAI debacle of a company, they made up some story about being open on a following Monday, which I don't think happened. Ever since then it's been a joke about opening on Monday. You will see that phrase/funnyism mentioned on this board again.

Gobucsmagic74
07-16-2013, 09:49 AM
At the end of the first GAI debacle of a company, they made up some story about being open on a following Monday, which I don't think happened. Ever since then it's been a joke about opening on Monday. You will see that phrase/funnyism mentioned on this board again.

Gotcha. Thanks for the insight!

Gobucsmagic74
07-16-2013, 09:51 AM
This is the card that I was trying to get an opinion on. Interestingly the seller pulled the listing (along with several others) this morning.

the 'stache
07-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the example, David.

joeadcock
07-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Result is SGC 50.

Sorry, unable to upload pic of original GAI card.

It was not a crossover. I broke it out of the GAI and then submitted it to SGC. Never tried to cross over GAI to SGC.

Al C.risafulli
07-16-2013, 11:09 AM

If I remember correctly, it dates back even prior to that. They had been working on a set registry that supposedly would allow users to put in Global cards as well as PSA and SGC. They made the announcement that they were doing it, then a period went by where nothing happened. Someone asked when it would be ready, and they finally responded "It'll be ready on Monday."

Of course it never happened, and that became a running joke on the boards, where any time someone complained about Global, someone would respond that the problem would be fixed on Monday.

-Al