PDA

View Full Version : T206 SL brown Old Mills

Theoldprofessor
07-12-2013, 04:35 PM
I have several Southern League Old Mills, and am just now checking to see if any are brown. I've gone to the Museum, and can see the difference in the examples shown. But to tell the truth, the example of a black OM looks freakish. Compared to it, all of my cards are brown! Now I surely do not believe that I have 30 very rare cards in my set. But what do I have? I've put six of them below. Is any of them brown?

Even better ..

Does anybody out there have a brown SL OM? If so, could you post it against a black one? Or are you of the opinion that there ain't no such animal? If so, could you talk about reaching this conclusion?

Any help would be greatly valued. Thanks.

Bob

EXAMPLES:

Bridwell
07-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Those all look black to me, Bob. I'm sure someone will post a Brown one. There is a distinct difference compared to those you've posted.

wonkaticket
07-12-2013, 05:06 PM
Simple rule if you have to ask if it's "brown" it's not brown.

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn3/smileys/large/brownom.jpg

Sean
07-12-2013, 05:14 PM
simple rule if you have to ask if it's "brown" it's not brown.

:d:d:d

Hey, I can't get the smiley face to work properly.

William Todd
07-12-2013, 05:15 PM

t206blogcom
07-12-2013, 06:34 PM
Those all look black to me, Bob.

+1

atx840
07-12-2013, 06:50 PM
Simple rule if you have to ask if it's "brown" it's not brown.

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn3/smileys/large/brownom.jpg

Tonight I dream in brown.

Theoldprofessor
07-12-2013, 07:17 PM
To all who helped clear this up. John McDaniel, special thanks for the superb scans that made your point.

&%$$*@&!!! Another "grandpa's attic" find shot all to pieces.

JerryTotino
07-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Bob,

All confirmed Brown Old Mills I have seen are trimmed on one or more sides. Thus, unless a card you are looking at is trimmed it is highly unlikely that it has a chance to be a Brown Old Mill back.

As Jim also mentioned in another thread the only possible Southern League subjects that can be found with a Brown Old Mill back are subjects that can also be found with a Brown Hindu back.

Jerry

ethicsprof
07-13-2013, 11:38 AM
don't give up yet on 'grandpa's attic'. I bet ole Palmer or Kaylor have a bunch
of 'em. :)
all the best,
barry

Sean
08-11-2013, 04:30 PM
bump

timn1
05-23-2015, 09:30 AM
Bob Manning, longtime collector and occasional poster here, died in March at the age of 72.

I learned this from my Davidson College alumni magazine. Bob taught physics and humanities at Davidson for nearly 40 years (including teaching me astronomy in 1979-80). He was an inspiring teacher and all-around good guy.

Bob's pride and joy was the 1952 Topps set, which he had begun as a kid, and more recently he had moved into collecting T206s.

Leon
05-23-2015, 09:51 AM
Bob Manning, longtime collector and occasional poster here, died in March at the age of 72.

I learned this from my Davidson College alumni magazine. Bob taught physics and humanities at Davidson for nearly 40 years (including teaching me astronomy in 1979-80). He was an inspiring teacher and all-around good guy.
Bob's pride and joy was the 1952 Topps set, which he had begun as a kid, and more recently he had moved into collecting T206s.

Very sad to hear of this. He was on the board less than a month ago. Bob was always a very nice fellow collector on the board. I am fairly sure he and I had a few good communications over the time he was here. And 72 is way too young. RIP Bob....

And I am going to lock this thread out of respect for Bob, since another one announcing the sad news has been started

Joshchisox08
05-23-2015, 10:29 AM
They all look black to me. At first I thought the same thing when I got my Bastian that it looked like it could actually be a brown back but alas I just wanted it to be more than it was.

Scratch that my condolences as I did not read the any comment prior to posting.