PDA

View Full Version : Odd Story of Presidential Cards

ZenPop
07-10-2013, 01:56 AM
I hope it's okay to post in this forum... I just thought it was a quirky story that might interest everyone...

George HW Bush cards and grading the limited (?) set... (http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_23627255/authentity-george-bush-baseball-cards-questioned)

Rich Klein
07-10-2013, 04:32 AM
When I was at Beckett of these cards in packs. How they got there, who knows -- but a few were in packs.

Rich

t206blogcom
07-10-2013, 06:29 AM
I received one in a pack when I was a kid. I've since lost the card, which totally sucks. But I did in fact get one in a pack.

arc2q
07-10-2013, 07:40 AM
There is another more detailed article about this on the Sports Collector Daily email. PSA is now classifying two types -- one with the glossy coating and another without. It will certainly make the more common versions plummet in value. The interesting part of the article is that John Sununu is a serious collector.

scooter729
07-10-2013, 08:51 AM
This AP article has more info and a cool pic of 41 with the cards....

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/2-versions-hw-bush-baseball-cards-confirmed

Rich Klein
07-10-2013, 10:01 AM
We have some White House Correspondents and other famous people who follow us between Facebook and Twitter. Editor Rich has forwarded me one of the twitter conversations which involved my "Rich Klein Ramblings" so I can tell you I have some known people reading the site.

I'd be honored if Mr. S is among my readers, and then next someone will tell me Karl Rove is also a collector :)

Not trying to hijack this, but some known people still love to collect as well

Rich

autograf
07-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Sununu is a big stamp collector and famously got in trouble for using Government resources to travel to stamp shows.....aircraft resources, that is. Remember that from back in the day.....

ZenPop
07-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the link, Scott!

Rich: Yeah... there's collector's across all political stripes and in all sorts of fields... I'm about as political as most people get, but I can put that aside to discuss cards...

Bored5000
07-10-2013, 06:15 PM
My local Reading (Pa.) Eagle newspaper carried a larger version of the AP story today (and even had a picture of the Topps Bush 41 card) along with the story. I have always been fascinated by that card, probably the only card from the last 40 years I would like to own.

Apparently, Sununu had 11 cards he received from Bush 41 himself, only to have PSA inform him that they had never seen any examples like Sununu's cards before. Sununu knew he had excellent provenance with his cards, then had Bush 41's family show PSA a card still in the former President's possession. The ex President's card also has the glossy coating, just like Sununu's.

This revelation pretty much blows apart the story that there were only 100 of these cards made and they were all (or nearly all) given to the former President himself originally. I started a thread a few months ago on the modern section of Net54 saying that it seemed hard to believe with the number of Bush 41 cards on eBay and in the major auction houses that the supply really was limited to the 100 originally given to Bush.

From this story, it sounds as though none of the many cards on eBay and various auction houses over the past several years came from the former President's supply of 100 cards.