PDA

View Full Version : Goodwin auction ended in early June - any consignors received payment yet ?

Spartan
07-09-2013, 08:53 AM
Just curious, assuming it would be around this time, been 30+ days since end of auction... Thx !

glchen
07-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Most of the large auction houses including Goodwin, you need to wait ~3 months after the auction ends to receive your consignment payment. Again, this is typical. For my last consignment with Goodwin for an auction that ended on Jan 25th, I received my payment in mid April. When I consigned with Heritage, I believe I signed a standard contract that basically stated the same thing that consignment payment was roughly in 3 months. Smaller auction houses and ebay consignment sellers are usually much faster.

ullmandds
07-09-2013, 09:01 AM
WOW! 3 months?! this is the norm? that is insane in my opinion! goodwin maybe...but most?!?!

Rob D.
07-09-2013, 09:05 AM
Most of the large auction houses including Goodwin, you need to wait ~3 months after the auction ends to receive your consignment payment. Again, this is typical. For my last consignment with Goodwin for an auction that ended on Jan 25th, I received my payment in mid April. When I consigned with Heritage, I believe I signed a standard contract that basically stated the same thing that consignment payment was roughly in 3 months. Smaller auction houses and ebay consignment sellers are usually much faster.

I don't know about "most," but I've never had to wait three months to receive a consignment check. Large, middle or small auction house. Of course, I've never consigned with Goodwin & Co.

conor912
07-09-2013, 09:13 AM
WOW! 3 months?! this is the norm? that is insane in my opinion! goodwin maybe...but most?!?!

Agreed. 3 months is absurd. Are they taking payments and trying to squeeze a couple months of gains out of the bond market? PWCC pays me in 2 weeks.

Leon
I have consigned with most major auction houses, and many minor ones, and never waited 3 months to get paid. Generally it's about 2 mos for the larger ones and a month or so for the smaller ones. My auction company, b-lauctions.com, has always paid in approximately 2 weeks from auction close.

ALR-bishop
My recent experience with Love Of The Game was much quicker than that, but I assume they all have to/should wait some amount of time after delivery of the product to be sure there is no legitimate buyer complaint to deal with

glchen
07-09-2013, 09:22 AM
Oops, looks like I'm wrong for Heritage. I just looked at their website, and it's 45 days after auction closes. So, maybe it is around 2 months. To be fair to Goodwin, my last consignment had a lot of different items including a large one, where it took one of the buyers a long time to pay, and Bill had to bug him also.

e107collector
07-09-2013, 09:49 AM
I've consigned to Bill in the past, and I got paid within the 45 day timeframe, which is stated in the contract.

I'd give it until the end of this month, if you still don't get the check, give Bill a call. He is always very nice to talk to.

Tony

chaddurbin
07-09-2013, 09:50 AM
around 45 days for goodwin, give or take a phone call.

Spartan
07-09-2013, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone....... I did email him, but guess I got impatient on a reply. I realize a phone call is a more direct option. You know the saying, or maybe you don't ... 'anticipation is disappointment in progress...' :) Which means 'don't think about it, and it will show up in your mailbox sooner than later !!!! '

ullmandds
07-09-2013, 10:14 AM
from my experience...emailing Bill is not effective.

Sean1125
07-09-2013, 10:43 AM
3 months is unacceptable, there's no way each person waits that long to pay - I would think he's waiting until the last person pays to pay, I would and will never consign because of this. I believe Huggins and Scott is as soon as 30 days post auction if they received payments themselves.

caramelcard
07-09-2013, 10:53 AM
"from my experience...emailing Bill is not effective."

Seguro.

Edwolf1963
07-09-2013, 01:22 PM
I have not been paid yet either -- didn't expect until at least the 6-8 week window however as I figured it was customary and I had a huge lot (522 T206s). I have called twice and sent an email on the cards that did not sell, wanting to know status and when I would get them back to list here. All 4's or better, just too high of open (IMO) plus juice.

Spartan
07-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Check delivered today by fed ex ......... so this fell within a 30 day window or thereabouts. Good deal.

bobbyw8469
07-10-2013, 12:59 PM
have called twice and sent an email on the cards that did not sell, wanting to know status and when I would get them back to list here. All 4's or better, just too high of open (IMO) plus juice.

I rather have that than list a card for 99 cents and watch it sell for peanuts. At least Bill set it up so you didn't take a bath....

Edwolf1963
07-10-2013, 01:08 PM
I rather have that than list a card for 99 cents and watch it sell for peanuts. At least Bill set it up so you didn't take a bath....

Oh, for sure - no complaints .. I just wanted to know the status of getting back and relisting here or other options. BTW, Bill did call me late yesterday afternoon, he had been away - gave me an update on check status and will relist the cards that went unsold in the June 6th auction on his next. Either lower open and/or lotted. All good, would rather that than the eBay route.

BigJJ
07-10-2013, 03:29 PM
If an auction house needs more time than the contract provides to send payment, due to a late paying bidder, or for any other reason - it is they - who should be calling you. Not vice versa. If I did not receive either a phone call or money within the specified period of payment in an auction consignment contract, I would be hesitant about consigning again.
Sometimes auction houses are doing both the consignor and the house a favor by giving the winning bidder more time to pay, but they ought to be keeping the consignor in the loop.

William Todd
07-10-2013, 04:35 PM
Try Robert Edward Auctions next time..

ullmandds
07-10-2013, 04:39 PM
D'oat!

iwantitiwinit
07-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Consigned will bill a few auctions ago. Email was not effective but a phone call was well received. Received proceeds approx 2 months after the auction ended. Remember he has to receive all payments from different purchasers before he makes payment to those offering several lots. Also, his auctions usually contain a relatively large number of cards and the auctions are run fairly frequently. It's a lot to manage.

murcerfan
07-10-2013, 08:36 PM
It sounds like this Goodwin guy is way over his head.

pawpawdiv9
07-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Goodwin auction is ending tonight with lots of items of interest.
My pockets are not deep enough for that Ty Cobb RC postcard, heck gave it a try.

shammus
07-18-2013, 05:10 PM
Im in the same boat as the original poster only it's a bit worse for me as I won cards as well as sold cards. So I've not received cards or money yet from the auction that ended June 5th. There's also a big question I have on whether or not the cards I sold were ever actually paid for. Kinda in the dark on that one.

I imagine there's been a lot of people having similar issues and trying to reach Bill on the phone as his voicemail is constantly full and the messages I have left have not been returned.

I imagine what will happen at this point is if I win anything tonight, it will be subtracted from my consignment check from the June auction and hopefully everything will be sent at one time in the next week or two.

The part I'm not thrilled at is the communication. I really like working with Bill and all, but I should have at least received a call back by now since I started leaving messages a couple weeks ago.

pawpawdiv9
07-18-2013, 05:18 PM
in my few experiences:
Heritage was quick. maybe because the use of 'paypal' and
REA was also quick in sending my cards i had won too.
I have never consigned before. Been thinking of it..after all these horror stories, it makes me take a step back.
I havent dealt with Goodwin or Goldin or Legendary yet.

BruceWayne
07-18-2013, 08:49 PM
I havent dealt with Goodwin or Goldin or Legendary yet.
As an fyi, we pay out consignors as fast as we get paid. As with everything, Ken is adamant about creating the best user experience possible. In addition, since we do accept credit cards we typically get paid fast which allows our consignors to be paid faster.

Just wanted to make sure everyone knows our policy.

Sincerely,
Chris