PDA

View Full Version : Why do Card Shows SELL cards and not SHOW cards?

rkrolewicz
07-05-2013, 11:40 AM
I read a couple of threads recently about the challenges in finding fellow card collectors and about how in the past some card shows had trading tables. It got me wondering why at CAR shows ("Cruise Nights", etc.), the registrants come to SHOW their car, and the spectators come to SEE others' cars. But, at CARD shows, the registrants/dealers come to SELL their cards, and the spectators come to BUY others' cards.

I hope I am not confusing everyone.

Does anyone know of Card Shows, past or present, that not only SELL cards, but also SHOW cards? I always thought how nice it would be if I could go to a Card Show and look at others' collections. I'd also like to SHOW my collections to others. Why doesn't this happen?

Does anyone know of card colllectors clubs in their areas? Wouldn't it be cool to meet once a month or so, and share/show our collections to and stories with others? Why doesn't this happen?

I wonder what would happen if I rented a table at the next Card Show in my area just for the purpose of showing a part of my collection, meeting other collectors and asking them if they wanted to start a collectors club. When I brought up this idea to the owner of a local Card Shop (who also rents a table at Card Shows) he said that the dealers at the Card Show would not like this. It seems to me that anything that would bring more people to the Card Show would be good for the dealers.

I would love to hear from others on this. Thanks for reading.

Cardboard Junkie
07-05-2013, 12:01 PM
I like the way you think. Years ago there was a small card "show" every weekend. One weekend a month it was stricktly a "show and trade" I used to love to take my box of trade bait and parlay it into cards I needed. Everybody won!! It would be cool to have a group of collectors that were just interested in trade. Dave.

Leon
07-05-2013, 12:07 PM
For the past several years I have brought, to the National, enough of my personal collection cards to fill one case (I only have 3 because of table partners). I think it is a good thing to show folks cards they don't usually see. It might get them interested enough to collect. As for the promoter of the National maybe not liking it, I don't think he would care. And actually, he is a collector so might enjoy it.

Rich Klein
07-05-2013, 12:31 PM
No promoter cares what you put out foir show as long as the items are not against the rules.

Once upon a time, there were several of those displays on tables at every Naitional

Rich

sflayank
07-05-2013, 01:08 PM
what do you mean? based on the prices some dealers want, the only reason they bring them is to show them....i know for a fact that some dealers have had the same cards in their showcase at the national for the last 15 years
so i can only conclude theyre there for show purposes only:D:D:D:D:D

ALR-bishop
07-05-2013, 02:07 PM
I would pay a fee to see your collection, Larry. I would include Bob but he often can't find what he is looking for at his place:)

sflayank
07-05-2013, 02:12 PM
many times ive thought of setting up at the national...with ythe really cool stuff and put stupid prices on it...but then i think someone might still want to buy it then id be screwed:):)

CW
07-05-2013, 04:29 PM
I wonder what would happen if I rented a table at the next Card Show in my area just for the purpose of showing a part of my collection, meeting other collectors and asking them if they wanted to start a collectors club. When I brought up this idea to the owner of a local Card Shop (who also rents a table at Card Shows) he said that the dealers at the Card Show would not like this. It seems to me that anything that would bring more people to the Card Show would be good for the dealers.

I could see how the other dealers at the show would not like this as they would think this would take away from sales, since people would come in and trade, more than they would buy.

I can see the positives for this, though, and I think you have a great idea.

Sometimes a local library might have a few display cases where they will temporarily house the local residents' collections for viewing. This is the only thing I've seen where you could simply show your cards for others to see and enjoy.

almostdone
07-06-2013, 03:11 PM
I think it's a great idea. It gets sort of old when I see only my collection up front. After all baseball cards were always show and tell on the playgrounds and sandlots.
Drew

pepis
07-06-2013, 04:43 PM
I read a couple of threads recently about the challenges in finding fellow card collectors and about how in the past some card shows had trading tables. It got me wondering why at CAR shows ("Cruise Nights", etc.), the registrants come to SHOW their car, and the spectators come to SEE others' cars. But, at CARD shows, the registrants/dealers come to SELL their cards, and the spectators come to BUY others' cards.

I hope I am not confusing everyone.

Does anyone know of Card Shows, past or present, that not only SELL cards, but also SHOW cards? I always thought how nice it would be if I could go to a Card Show and look at others' collections. I'd also like to SHOW my collections to others. Why doesn't this happen?

Does anyone know of card colllectors clubs in their areas? Wouldn't it be cool to meet once a month or so, and share/show our collections to and stories with others? Why doesn't this happen?

I would love to hear from others on this. Thanks for reading.
Actually Auction houses like Memory lane and Mile High do just that they get
great location tables at shows just to display some of the great cards that
would be at their up coming Auction

albrshbr
07-06-2013, 09:01 PM
I've seen this done at coin shows. They set up tables in one area, and different folks would show off their coins. Usually there was a theme (ancient, civil war, errors, tokens, etc...).

They also had children's auctions, where each kid under a certain age would receive a specific amount of money to bid on items that were donated by either the dealers or members of the coin collecting club.

Rich Klein
07-07-2013, 08:08 AM
At whatever krause used to call their Chicago shows (SporteFest?) there was always a section where ONLY kids could buy items and IIRC the prices were usually very fair as well. As far as I know, this has been the only hobby event where that has been done.

Rich

Exhibitman
07-07-2013, 11:32 AM
You may be surprised. I did that at a show with a "not for sale" sign but got tired of everyone asking how much the NFS cards were so I finally posted some ridiculous prices on them just to get people to stop asking.

bcubs
07-08-2013, 09:21 AM
I think this idea of show and trade is a great one. I'm with you, anything that brings in more traffic is good for the guys looking to sell.

hcv123
07-08-2013, 09:46 AM
what do you mean? based on the prices some dealers want, the only reason they bring them is to show them....i know for a fact that some dealers have had the same cards in their showcase at the national for the last 15 years
so i can only conclude theyre there for show purposes only:D:D:D:D:D

+1:D

hcv123
07-08-2013, 09:47 AM
many times ive thought of setting up at the national...with ythe really cool stuff and put stupid prices on it...but then i think someone might still want to buy it then id be screwed:):)

+2 :):)

When and where - I'll empty my piggy bank!

Leon
07-08-2013, 11:26 AM
You may be surprised. I did that at a show with a "not for sale" sign but got tired of everyone asking how much the NFS cards were so I finally posted some ridiculous prices on them just to get people to stop asking.

I did this at last year's National. I put stupid prices on my collection cards because the first 20 people to my table asked how much they were (and they never were for sale). I had one guy try to negotiate a high end trade. I had several folks around me when talking with him. He wanted to trade a T216 wags for my T216 Cobb leaning. I had 10k on it as I didn't want to sell it. He never could quite understand I didn't want to trade or sell it but had a price on it. I mean I must have told the guy 5-10 times. I told him 10k cash or check and that is it. He always came back to "why do you have a price on it if it's not for sale?", even after I told him multiple times why. Man was he obstinate. It was sort of funny but not too funny. :eek:

hcv123
07-11-2013, 06:28 AM
I did this at last year's National. I put stupid prices on my collection cards because the first 20 people to my table asked how much they were (and they never were for sale). I had one guy try to negotiate a high end trade. I had several folks around me when talking with him. He wanted to trade a T216 wags for my T216 Cobb leaning. I had 10k on it as I didn't want to sell it. He never could quite understand I didn't want to trade or sell it but had a price on it. I mean I must have told the guy 5-10 times. I told him 10k cash or check and that is it. He always came back to "why do you have a price on it if it's not for sale?", even after I told him multiple times why. Man was he obstinate. It was sort of funny but not too funny. :eek:

I understand both your choice of putting a high tag on items and his or others confusion at its "not for sale" status. I have always put it in these terms - there is nothing I own that is not for sale. There are certain items that I believe nobody in their right mind would choose to pay me an amount at which I would choose to sell it. I believe most of what everyone talked about above fits this model.

ALR-bishop
07-11-2013, 10:35 AM
That's what Larry meant above. He would put a ridiculous price on some unique item of his intended only for show, and then someone not in his right mind comes along and says he will pay it. That's ok unless you then feel compelled to replace it...like Larry would :)

cobblove
07-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Seems better to just make a web page if you truely want to share your collection with as many eyes as possible.