PDA

View Full Version : Wanting get it slabbed but don't know who...

pencil1974
07-04-2013, 04:46 PM
So I have this Williams I want to get slabbed but don't know who to send it to. Let me know what you think of the card and who do you trust to slab it.

Also how much does it cost. I usually just get my regular cards graded but want to get this in a slab to protect it. Thanks for any help.

chaddurbin
07-04-2013, 05:21 PM
the cost is around $25 for psa, and they might slab it but i don't think it's ted's sig.

pencil1974
07-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Well if not I have 100% money back guarantee on it so thats what I want to check

johnmh71
07-04-2013, 06:15 PM
I'm not an expert on his signature, but normally when the "illi" in Williams is not all about the same height, it tends to be a forgery.

pencil1974
07-04-2013, 06:25 PM
From what I've seen it looks like his earlier signatures more than the later ones, but thats what I want to find out. I have nothing to lose like I said as I bought from a card shop with 100% guarantee that it was real and they would pay for any fees I incur if it comes back fake. How can you pass that up. :)

travrosty
07-04-2013, 06:31 PM
it's already protected in a holder, why spend more>?

is there a nuclear blast coming, we need everything in blast proof holders?

pencil1974
07-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Well sort of I have a 1 year old who know nows how to climb and open things and a very curious 6 year old. So I would take the bomb over my kids at times. lol

Plus its the authentication part I would like to get as well. As you can see there are opinions that it might not be real so just wanted to know who to go to and put in a slab so it doesn't get destroyed.

Runscott
07-04-2013, 08:39 PM
Well if not I have 100% money back guarantee on it so thats what I want to check

This is classic.

We should have a contest: participants each sign an old Ted Williams photo and we see how many of them are deemed authentic by PSA. I bet we could hit at least 10%

pencil1974
07-05-2013, 04:09 PM
What's classic in that quote Scott?

This is classic.

We should have a contest: participants each sign an old Ted Williams photo and we see how many of them are deemed authentic by PSA. I bet we could hit at least 10%

chaddurbin
07-05-2013, 07:20 PM
i had a similar gpc teddy and i asked for opionions on here (search for thread). consensus seems to be likely not teddy's sig and a clubhouse as the red sox was away during the gpc stamp date.

i've looked for there's seems to be similar examples where they all share the same traits: the e & d in "ted" don't connect, the d is open and doesn't have a tail, and the "m" has 4 lines and seem to be inverted like a "w". these traits don't jive with authentic vintage williams signed at all. again i've seen psas recently certed signed 1959 fleer williams cards that have these traits, but based on these evidence i would not be comfortable owning them.

edit: forgot the a also have the weird double loop in it also.

pencil1974
07-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess the only way to find out is to send it in. This is the first graded card I've gotten as I usually only buy raw or graded unsigned cards hence my question on who to send it to. I know Beckett has JSA and SGC just started doing auto's from what the site said. But I've heard knocks about PSA so wanted to know who to trust. If it comes back a fake then I go get my money back and call it day and spend it on another Teddy, Mantle, Ruth, etc.. Thanks again for the info.

Brad

thecatspajamas
07-05-2013, 08:58 PM
Brad,
Given the circumstances, perhaps you should ask the dealer you bought it from who he would accept as a second opinion? If he is okay with any of those you named, then I guess you're back to square one, but he may have a specific authenticator he places more stock in than the others. Hopefully it wouldn't come down to this, but if you had to return it, I would hate for you to be out the money for authentication AND have your authenticator of choice be the reason he wouldn't refund your money.

pencil1974
07-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Yeah I'll talk to him first. But I would assume as long as its a trusted name he would go with what they say. I buy a lot (to my wifes disappointment) of cards from him. I probably am the reason he's still in business. lol. So he offered me this in a lot that he had picked up with some other prewar cards I was buying and tossed it in the deal.

So long story short as long as I don't go to Bob's Autograph authentification, Tire and Landscaping I should be OK.

JimStinson
07-06-2013, 08:00 AM
I think they do "Slabbing" here and may even have one locally

Forever Young
07-06-2013, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the info. I guess the only way to find out is to send it in. This is the first graded card I've gotten as I usually only buy raw or graded unsigned cards hence my question on who to send it to. I know Beckett has JSA and SGC just started doing auto's from what the site said. But I've heard knocks about PSA so wanted to know who to trust. If it comes back a fake then I go get my money back and call it day and spend it on another Teddy, Mantle, Ruth, etc.. Thanks again for the info.

Brad

Go Psa or jsa over anyone else. Ask the seller if they are acceptable. If so, you will have a Coa that will maximize your value or a return.

pencil1974
07-06-2013, 09:00 AM
I say Jim's joke should get buried there. HA! Thanks!

Thanks Ben!

travrosty
07-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Go Psa or jsa over anyone else. Ask the seller if they are acceptable. If so, you will have a Coa that will maximize your value or a return.

What's wrong with SGC?

Forever Young
07-07-2013, 05:36 AM
I say Jim's joke should get buried there. HA! Thanks!

Thanks Ben!

You're welcome Brad. Good luck to you.

dapro
07-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Good luck Brad, let us know the result.

HOF Auto Rookies
07-08-2013, 09:58 AM
I would take board members' opinions over those TPA's anyday...just sayin...

glchen
07-08-2013, 12:20 PM
FYI, PSA will slab your card / auto while JSA will only put a sticker on it and give you an LOA, so you might still want to go w/ PSA here.

pencil1974
07-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Thanks Gary. Good to hear from you!