PDA

View Full Version : 59 198 Jim Davenport Variation?

savedfrommyspokes
07-03-2013, 09:02 PM
I have not seen this card listed as a (print) variation anywhere, however, it is likely I missed it. As you can see on the scans, on the back on the number panel, there is the line that runs through it. Since most copies of this card that are listed for sale on ebay do not show an image of the back, it is hard to tell what percentage of cards have this line versus do not. On COMC of the 8 of the 23 cards have the line, but of the 10 or so ( all PSA) that have the back pictured on ebay, none have the line.
I had never noticed this until today when a lot of 59s I bought contained 4 with the line. None of the other 10 or so copies of the card I already had, have this line.

Cliff Bowman
07-03-2013, 11:02 PM
Well, that solves the mystery of who was next to 1959 Topps #181 Bob Porterfield on the printing sheet.

savedfrommyspokes
07-04-2013, 05:18 AM
Good call Cliff on connecting these two "lines".

In going through some of my other 59s, I found another card with what appears to be a (print) variation. I may have missed others reference to this card though. This 59 479 McDaniel card has a white slash in the lower left corner...I found few other copies of this card with the white slash on the sold page for this card on ebay, however, no other copies are currently for sale on ebay or COMC.

ALR-bishop
07-04-2013, 06:23 AM
I have the Porterfield, but did not know about the Davenport...or the McDaniel. Print defects, but if recurring I normally try to add them to my set. Thanks for the information Saved and Cliff