PDA

View Full Version : 1960 Topps #216 Joe Gordon - variation or just miscut?

JLange
07-03-2013, 06:21 PM
I recently bought what turned out to be a double of a 1960 Topps #216 Joe Gordon Manager Card. Upon closer inspection of the back, though, there is an additional light brown bar running vertically down a portion of the left side.

Is this a variation or would the extra bar be part of the adjoining card? Does anyone know what the adjoining card would have been on this sheet?
Sometimes it looks to me as if the bar is wholly contained within the border of the card, but that might just be due to slight edge wear.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

JollyElm
07-03-2013, 07:11 PM
If you look at the spacing differences between the border and the copyright information on both versions of this card, it seems quite evident it was just a miscut that grabbed a portion of the adjoining card.

Cliff Bowman
07-03-2013, 11:07 PM
I have always wondered the same thing on 1959 Topps #19 Eddie Bressoud.

JLange
07-04-2013, 06:19 AM
Looking at other Joe Gordons on COMC and on eBay, it is clear that a number of the cards are similarly miscut and have the vertical bar down the left side. A random check of several other cards of other managers confirmed the same. The manager cards for Charlie Grimm, Bill Rigney, Eddie Sawyer, and Casey Stengel appear to be susceptible to this miscut and capturing a portion of the adjoining card.

Thank you!

ALR-bishop
07-04-2013, 06:26 AM
Interesting info Jason. Thanks for posting