PDA

View Full Version : SF Hess stoneware?

GaryPassamonte
07-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Has anybody ever seen anything like this? SF Hess tobacco packs yes, stoneware?

GaryPassamonte
07-02-2013, 10:51 AM
Second pic.

D. Bergin
07-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Chewing Tobacco spittoon maybe............or butt collector?

1880nonsports
07-02-2013, 11:46 AM
most often these type of stonewear crocks held snuff but such a large "counter" size might have held a particular "cut" or strain of shredded tobacco - or not :-) I'll see what I can find as this is a bit out of my wheel-house although I do have a few examples in my collection of such vessels from other companies. More to follow - hopefully :-) A big reason I like to help on this stuff is it gives me a chance to look thru some books and files I haven't actually used in a while - and almost every time I see something or some information that I didn't remember seeing or know I have.

1880nonsports
07-02-2013, 11:47 AM
what is on the bottom?

It's post 1877 when the name changed. When I return from the gym I will continiue the quest. I've been thru 3 books and some files. Many more to peruse :-)

GaryPassamonte
07-02-2013, 12:28 PM
There is nothing written on the bottom. There is no tobacco staining or smell in the jar. Any value?

1880nonsports
07-02-2013, 01:00 PM
not a lot :-) It's appeal is to a small base, it's cracked (right under the display side where the company name is), not overly historically significant, and lacks any real graphic elements. That being said - I have quite a few such items that I enjoy displaying with some core elements of my "accumulation". Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and there are no rules. Fairly sure I've seen one of these before but suffering from CRS & TMS - too much s*** and can't keep track of it all. Think 75. - 125. if it wasn't cracked within the ballpark but i'm no expert in this - or much else.

no guarantees whether written or implied

slidekellyslide
07-02-2013, 03:12 PM
A crack or chip in any crock makes it worth a whole lot less to crock collectors from worthless to only about 10% of what they might pay for an uncracked crock, but this one could get interest from vintage tobacco collectors or 19th century baseball card collectors to increase its value. Neat item either way.

GaryPassamonte
07-03-2013, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the help.