PDA

View Full Version : Collectors Showcase Dulles EXPO

arc2q
07-01-2013, 01:43 PM
I am relatively new to this site and to vintage card collecting. I live in the DC area and would like to go to a card show -- but cannot make it all the way to the National unfortunately. I have heard that the Dulles show in mid-July is pretty good. Are there any thoughts about this show from the perspective of a vintage card collector? The website is, unfortunately, more focused on the celebrity autograph tables and the modern collectibles than on which card dealers will be there. Does this show have a sizable number of established vintage dealers or is it mostly memorabilia, autographs, and modern stuff? The latter is great but not really what I am into. Any recommendations on going and what to do or not to do?

Thanks in advance,
Andy

bbcard1
07-01-2013, 02:50 PM
I usually have good luck at the CSA shows in Chantilly...I will probably beg off this one as I have isolated a fairly expensive card I want and it is about 3.5 hours from me...but I probably make 3 out of 4. It's kind of the usual thing...a few good buys, a lot of shiny, a few dealer/museum types. I have seldom left without finding something I like at a tolerable price and if I lived in the area, I'd go at least two out of the three days.

t213
07-01-2013, 03:46 PM
It's worth going, especially on Friday afternoon/evening. That's when it's all collectors. Over the weekend it's swamped with autograph collectors. There is enough vintage material at reasonable prices that I always can find something on my wantlist.

Andy

Jewish-collector
07-01-2013, 04:09 PM
I think it is very worthwhile. There are a good number of dealers that have vintage cards, especially if Net54 members Dan McKee, Ken Cohen, and a few others set up. I agree that Friday is the best day to go. Admission is free and, as Andy says, the real collectors are there on Friday and much of the crowd on Sat & Sun goes for the autograph guests.

Now, the show has recently been sold to a group of 5 promoters. Time will tell to see if the show will be any different (more autograph guests, more shiny stuff, etc,...), but as far as we know, it will still be as it has always been...

See you at the show !!!

Jason
07-01-2013, 06:37 PM
Im looking forward to the show.I too always seem to find a few needed cards there.

t206blogcom
07-02-2013, 10:19 AM
I've enjoyed the Chantilly show as a vintage and modern collector. I usually go Friday afternoon/evening before the autograph crowd. There are a ton of auto dealers, but also a good mixture of vintage. The show this past spring was probably the best I've seen in awhile.

arc2q
07-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Thank you for all the helpful advice. I will definitely be at the Chantilly show -- but unfortunately probably just go on the Saturday due to work and kids. But it should be fun. Anyone know if PSA or SGC have a table at this show?

bigred1
07-02-2013, 01:15 PM
I think the show has gotten better recently. Plenty of vintage as well as new. Was on a spiral but seemed to pick up the last few. I always find a few items to cross off my list, and manage to find some things on my wish list. Agree that Saturday and Sunday are autograph days.

basesareempty
07-03-2013, 06:57 AM
I believe that SGC will have a table at the show.

larrie804
07-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Stop by and see us (Dean's House of Cards)! Recently picked up a number of lower grade raw T206s....including seven HOFers....a number of T205 plus misc. 50s and 60s. We are across from the "long wall". At least say hi! For us, as dealer/collectors it is always a very good show!

ValKehl
07-04-2013, 10:07 PM
Per SGC's web site, SGC will be set up and accepting submissions for grading at this Chantilly Show.

A couple more dealers with vintage cards that usually set up at this show are Roger Neufeldt (sp?) and Bill Chapelle (sp?).

Also, Huggins & Scott Auctions always set up and show some of the better items that will be in their next auction.

Andy, this is the only meaningful show in the DC area, and it is well worth attending.
Val

arc2q
07-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the info Val. I will be there.

t206hound
07-11-2013, 03:34 PM
I checked the website and don't see a price of admission (if any) listed. I was going to bring my two boys, and now two friends want to join them. Ages 9-12.

Jewish-collector
07-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Friday is free admission for everyone. Not sure about Sat & Sun.
See you there tomorrow !!!

t206hound
07-11-2013, 07:00 PM
Friday is free admission for everyone. Not sure about Sat & Sun.
See you there tomorrow !!!

Cool! I'll be the one dragging four boys to find T206s... or the guy being dragged by four boys to look at shiny football cards! :D

t206blogcom
07-11-2013, 07:32 PM
I'll be there Friday afternoon and maybe on the weekend. Will probably wear my Net54 t-shirt. Don't be a stranger!

arc2q
07-11-2013, 07:43 PM
I'll be there Friday afternoon and maybe on the weekend. Will probably wear my Net54 t-shirt. Don't be a stranger!

Net54 t-shirts? How do I get one?

t206blogcom
07-12-2013, 06:07 AM
Net54 t-shirts? How do I get one?

Reach out to Leon. I bought mine from him during last year's National in Baltimore. He might still have some.

t206hound
07-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Reach out to Leon. I bought mine from him during last year's National in Baltimore. He might still have some.

The shirt worked! It was nice to meet Jason today.

t206blogcom
07-12-2013, 06:42 PM
I spent around 4 hours walking/talking the show this afternoon. Didn't seem to be quite as many dealers, perhaps because the National is right around the corner. Of the dealers there, it was the usual crowd.

Ken - It was really good catching up and I enjoyed our chat! It's always a pleasure running into you in Chantilly. Can you believe what's happening to Strasburg tonight; didn't expect that. Good luck with your deck.

Val - It was nice meeting you today in Chantilly. It's always great to meet a fellow Nats fan and Walter Johnson fan. I enjoyed our discussion about Griffith stadium.

Erick - I'm glad we were finally able to meet! Your Anderson is a really cool find. I won't tell Andy Garden what you said about him, although I suspect it's probably true. ;) Thanks again (a year later) for helping me finish my T206 set with that green Cobb.

Larrie - Good to see you as always. Wish I had more time to chat. Good luck at the National!

Jewish-collector
07-12-2013, 09:39 PM
I was there today, too until about 5 pm. I looked for both of you (Eric and Jason (met before)), but didn't see either. I did see Ken, though and always a great pleasure talking to him.

t213
07-13-2013, 11:22 AM
I was at the show this morning. There was a good assortment of prewar - highlights were picking up a nice T209 from Larrie Dean and swapping for S74s with Mac Wubben.

Andy

bbcard1
07-13-2013, 05:31 PM
went yesterday. Nothing too earth shattering but had a good time. Bought some Obaks from William Chappell.

bigwinnerx
07-13-2013, 05:44 PM
Going tomorrow with my 4 year old daughter. Had good luck at the last show with a EPDG portrait Krause I hadn't picked up yet for a good price. Reminds me I need to put together a shopping list. :)