PDA

View Full Version : OT: Payment options

almostdone
06-30-2013, 12:34 PM
I have a large amount of prewar HOFer I am looking to sell all of it on Net54but do not have a Paypal nor do I intend on getting one. For small purchases a personal check or Money order usually suffices but would they be just as good in a larger transaction? What, if any, options would be good for something like this?

Please any input before I list all of this stuff would be appreciated.

Drew

Cardboard Junkie
06-30-2013, 01:50 PM
Without paypal you will not be "almost done" you will be "done".
Paypal is a modern business necessity.

almostdone
06-30-2013, 02:26 PM
I don't want to go into detail but I used to have a paypal. I am not a dealer by any means but am looking to move a good part of my collection. I do have a paypal account I could use connected with my wife but the reason I won't use it in this case is I want to surprise her with a "2nd honeymoon" trip next year . Obviously it wouldn't be much of a surprise if she saw a stream of funds going into the account.
I am looking for a different option in this case to sell my HOF pre war collection. That's it. It isn't the fees or anything connected to paypal specifically. Just trying to do something nice for my loving wife without her knowing.
I hope this clear up the issue a bit.
Drew

pawpawdiv9
06-30-2013, 02:28 PM
paypal gift is the main payment preferred. Otherwise sell on Ebay and pay the fees. Some folks are using Amazon now. Other than that...consignors is a option (minus the cut they take)

Bestdj777
06-30-2013, 02:42 PM
I would be hesitant to complete a deal without using PayPal. I have no problem using PayPal gift on here with those I trust, but I really hate getting out a check book, stamp, envelope, and going through that whole process. I'm sure there are other collectors out there that might be dissuaded from purchasing as well.
Now, if you have any Mantle Venezuelans I might be persuaded to get up off my butt...

Any way you can set up a new PayPal account without your wife knowing? Or, maybe using a trusted friend or family member's account for these purposes

39special
06-30-2013, 02:55 PM
I don't have paypal,and have made ALOT of transactions on here,and from other places.A few have been for decent amounts,but most have been lower amounts. I agree you would do better with paypal,but there are some people that will buy without it.

almostdone
06-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Steve,
Thanks. I have done del with you and they have gone smoothly. (BTW, am getting some TTM back with the last ones you sent).
I suppose I'm wondering more about the size of transaction without paypal.
I am hoping to get as close to $2K for what I have and would love if I could do it in one big deal or at least as few as possible.
Someone mentioned using a trusted friends paypal account. I have a friend who offered this but am wondering if it would look shady to buyers? I would be upfront of course as to why but don't want to risk ruining a reputation on the boards.
Any other input (or interest)?
Keep the comments coming.
Drew