PDA

View Full Version : OT: Payment options

almostdone
06-30-2013, 12:33 PM
I have a large amount of prewar HOFer I am looking to sell all of it on Net54but do not have a Paypal nor do I intend on getting one. For small purchases a personal check or Money order usually suffices but would they be just as good in a larger transaction? What, if any, options would be good for something like this?

Please any input before I list all of this stuff would be appreciated.

Drew

quinnsryche
06-30-2013, 12:41 PM
IMO you are committing business suicide by not accepting Paypal. I know there are some fees involved but it's not bad if you work them into your prices. Some buyers will refuse to deal with you if you don't accept it. I buy and sell and Paypal is a necessity. It offers both buyer (especially) and seller protection.
Plus, a lot of buyers want their items fast and payment by snail mail will not afford them that luxury.
Just my .02, take it or leave it.
Good Luck!

Cardboard Junkie
06-30-2013, 01:48 PM
I find it absurd that you dont/wont accept paypal. You will lose money and customers.

almostdone
06-30-2013, 02:25 PM
I don't want to go into detail but I used to have a paypal. I am not a dealer by any means but am looking to move a good part of my collection. I do have a paypal account I could use connected with my wife but the reason I won't use it in this case is I want to surprise her with a "2nd honeymoon" trip next year . Obviously it wouldn't be much of a surprise if she saw a stream of funds going into the account.
I am looking for a different option in this case to sell my HOF pre war collection. That's it. It isn't the fees or anything connected to paypal specifically. Just trying to do something nice for my loving wife without her knowing.
I hope this clear up the issue a bit.
Drew

sb1
06-30-2013, 02:32 PM
People transacted thru the mail for years without paypal, you will be fine, just post your cards and state your payment terms.

Cardboard Junkie
06-30-2013, 02:45 PM
I understand why you don't want to use paypal, but you will leave money on the table if you don't. Dave:)

Rob D.
06-30-2013, 03:05 PM
Drew,

I have done just fine without using PayPal. I do use it now because of convenience but never felt like I left money on the table when I didn't offer it as an option.

As Scott said, for many years countless transactions were done via the mail with checks or money orders.

Bottom line: If you're selling good stuff at fair prices, you'll do fine.

(All of the above is in regard to selling on Net54. eBay is a place where I would say PayPal is a must.)

Best of luck.

almostdone
06-30-2013, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the input so far. Someone mentioned using a trusted friends paypal account. I have a friend who offered this but am wondering if it would look shady to buyers? I would be upfront of course as to why but don't want to risk ruining a reputation on the boards.
Any other input (or interest)?
Keep the comments coming.
Drew

Mikehealer
06-30-2013, 04:51 PM
If someone wants what you're selling, you'll do fine without PayPal.

Absurd and suicide seem a little strong. Auction houses do ok with no PayPal and they tack on about 20%.

kmac32
06-30-2013, 06:19 PM
I don't want to go into detail but I used to have a paypal. I am not a dealer by any means but am looking to move a good part of my collection. I do have a paypal account I could use connected with my wife but the reason I won't use it in this case is I want to surprise her with a "2nd honeymoon" trip next year . Obviously it wouldn't be much of a surprise if she saw a stream of funds going into the account.
I am looking for a different option in this case to sell my HOF pre war collection. That's it. It isn't the fees or anything connected to paypal specifically. Just trying to do something nice for my loving wife without her knowing.
I hope this clear up the issue a bit.
Drew

Don't you think she might be suspicious if everyone paid by check as there is still a paper trail. Are you going to open up a separate account to hide it from her? I know my wife would notice.

almostdone
06-30-2013, 06:43 PM
There wouldn't be as much of a paper trail. All my transactions go to and from my work address. I would use a separate account for deposits she would not be privy to.

edhans
07-01-2013, 10:13 AM
People transacted thru the mail for years without paypal, you will be fine, just post your cards and state your payment terms.

+1 I don't accept PayPal either. A couple colleagues had bad experiences with them. I may have missed a sale or two, but at least I haven't been burned by unscrupulous buyers manipulating the system.

Jayworld
07-01-2013, 10:28 AM
I think check or money order, especially on the Net54 B/S/T is perfectly fine. The ONLY reason I have a Paypal account is that eBay forced me to set up one since I sell (very infrequently in the last 3 years or so) a few items on eBay from time-to-time.

I have had several transactions here on the board (all great); some have requested paypal, and others have requested check, money order, etc., and I have no problem fulfilling the payment requirements if it is a card I want at a good deal.

auggiedoggy
07-01-2013, 10:37 AM

That's right and the mail was delivered by the Pony Express for years. We improved on that. Want to go back to the "good" old days? Didn't think so.

sb1
07-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Actually I am perfectly fine with the old way, I have done several deals in the last 60 days by mail and check, even one "on approval".

But then I don't "text" either, maybe I am just old or old fashioned.

Rob D.
07-01-2013, 11:28 AM
That's right and the mail was delivered by the Pony Express for years. We improved on that. Want to go back to the "good" old days? Didn't think so.

If we're going to use analogies that don't apply, I'll toss this one out: I like the convenience of using a microwave oven to heat a lukewarm cup of coffee in less than a minute. That being said, if all I have available is a stove or hot plate, I'll use them rather than drink cold coffee.

chaddurbin
07-01-2013, 11:33 AM
if you're rob d, or ed hans, or scott b., you'll do fine with paper payment. if you're someone new to the board i would be more hesitant to send a big check (meaning i won't).

sb1
07-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Q,

That may be true, he can always start out with lesser value items and establish himself. Or for all we know he may already have some hobby references.