PDA

View Full Version : need help big time cobb green back experts

sflayank
06-28-2013, 03:11 PM
2 different cards same psa #
which is real or are both real

atx840
06-28-2013, 03:33 PM
If I size and align the Cobbs then you can see the example on the right (#2) slip font is off. The example on the left (#1) lines up perfectly with several other PSA SC examples.

Cobb #2 appears to be trimmed and in a bad/cracked slab.

http://i.imgur.com/FtvTYww.jpg

sflayank
06-28-2013, 03:36 PM
ok
but that doesnt tell me if either of the cards is real
so im guessing #2 is fake

Fred
06-28-2013, 03:40 PM
Those do not like like the same card. How is that possible with the same cert#? Who ever owns the card on the right should allow PSA to investigate and follow through with prosecution because it is their reputation at stake. IMO PSA should take high res scans of each high dollar vintage card that is certed and maintain that image in a database.

atx840
06-28-2013, 03:58 PM
jiggly.

http://i.imgur.com/2AHXD1N.gif

buymycards
06-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Look at the barcodes. They are different. The cards are different. Both cards look OK, but it is hard to tell for sure from the scans. Do you have scans of the backs? I would like to look at the front through a loupe.

sb1
06-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Bottom card does not appear to be legit

sflayank
06-28-2013, 04:34 PM
here are the backs

Peter_Spaeth
06-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Look at the spacing between the A and the P on the right flip.

CW
06-28-2013, 05:13 PM
It's pretty sad that I remember the first Cobb. :) Here's a link to the original auction (http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=24729) for the real card.

sflayank
06-28-2013, 05:20 PM
how can we be sure either card is real

Eric72
06-28-2013, 06:23 PM
It's pretty sad that I remember the first Cobb. :) Here's a link to the original auction (http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=24729) for the real card.

Chuck,

Thanks for providing that link. Based on the REA image, it seems reasonable to conclude that the card on the right is a knock-off.

Damn...fake holders, fake flips.

The TPGs had better do whatever they can to stay one step ahead of the fraudsters. Otherwise, our beloved hobby will be so fraught with peril that all but the most seasoned collectors will walk away.

Best Regards,

Eric

Peter_Spaeth
06-28-2013, 06:27 PM
Is the second card for sale somewhere?

Eric72
06-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Additionally...is it just me, or does the card on the right seem to have lettering that appears more black than brown? From what I understand, this would be an indicator that it's not the real deal; however, could be wrong here.

Given my limited experience with T206, I am just asking...and not providing an unqualified expert opinion.

Best,

Eric

sflayank
06-28-2013, 06:43 PM
the 2nd cobb was purchased by someone i know and he lost his investment
there are 100s of ruths gehrigs cobbs 54 aarons 56 mantle 68 ryans 86 jordans out there in fake holders fake slips...i guess you just have to double triple and quadruple check

EvilKing00
06-28-2013, 06:58 PM
wow psa as well as the rest better do something to make this harder to fake

t206hound
06-28-2013, 06:58 PM
wow. I'm guessing a real back on a fake front in a counterfeit slab?

Eric72
06-28-2013, 07:21 PM
The current TPGs need to step in here and protect their market share. If not, someone else will steal it from them.

DeanH3
06-28-2013, 07:27 PM
there are 100s of ruths gehrigs cobbs 54 aarons 56 mantle 68 ryans 86 jordans out there in fake holders fake slips...i guess you just have to double triple and quadruple check

Has anyone seen any fake SGC slabs out there yet? Just curious if these fakes are confined to PSA slabs at this time.

thunderdan
06-28-2013, 11:38 PM
Wow.

thehoodedcoder
06-29-2013, 06:30 AM
hi,

are the bar codes on fake flips identical or are they different and custom made?

kevin

Tcards-Please
06-29-2013, 07:01 AM

How did he lose his investment? Is it because the market has softened or was he told it was a fake?

r/
Frank

Prof_Plum
06-29-2013, 07:28 AM
Using an online barcode reader, I got the first Cobb barcode to come back as a match to the text number. With the second Cobb's barcode I couldn't get any of the online sites I tried to read it or at least decipher into numbers.

Note: some of the sites couldn't read the first Cobb code either.

peterose4hof
06-29-2013, 07:30 AM
Has anyone seen any fake SGC slabs out there yet? Just curious if these fakes are confined to PSA slabs at this time.
Accidental phone post. Please ignore.

toppcat
06-29-2013, 08:01 AM

Know your dealer-sometimes hard online but it's a must when dealing with anything of value, cards or not.

sflayank
06-29-2013, 08:51 AM
everyone on here seems to agree the 2nd card holder is fake and the flip is fake but
is it possible the cobb card itself is real and was removed from an authentic holder(trimmed or recolored or whatever) and placed in a fake psa holder and flip to upgrade the card

DeanH3
06-29-2013, 09:29 AM
Accidental phone post. Please ignore.

Huh?? My question was in all seriousness. I would like to know if these scam artists have been able to fake an SGC slab.

Edited: I think I misunderstood your post. My apologies.

Leon
06-29-2013, 09:36 AM
Huh?? My question was in all seriousness. I would like to know if these scam artists have been able to fake an SGC slab. I think your post is the one that can be ignored.

SGC holders can probably be faked but the scammer(s) seem to be going after PSA the most. I think there is a personal vendetta going on against PSA....

christopher.herman
06-29-2013, 09:48 AM
In my opinion and without seeing the card in person:
1. The PSA holder/slab is real. (The slabs are way too easy to open and reseal. PSA needs to make them totally self destruct upon cracking, similar to Beckett.)
2. The flip is fake. (The font is significantly off.)
3. The card is a fake front. (Probably easily identified using a loupe in person. And the text looks black and too faint, similar to other reprints that I've seen.)
4. The back looks real and skinned to apply the fake
front. (Also the back does not line up to the front in terms of cut. Another red flag.)

Know your seller. Check the certs. Examine high dollar purchases in person, if possible. Pay with regular PayPal or a credit card so that you have some recourse in the event that fraud is evident.

Christopher.

Runscott
06-29-2013, 10:28 AM
SGC holders can probably be faked but the scammer(s) seem to be going after PSA the most. I think there is a personal vendetta going on against PSA....

Haha. This made my day.

Leon
06-29-2013, 10:44 AM
Haha. This made my day.

Actually, I wasn't being sarcastic. I have first hand information. Take it for what it's worth....

Runscott
06-29-2013, 11:05 AM
Actually, I wasn't being sarcastic. I have first hand information. Take it for what it's worth....

That surprises me. I've met some really angry people who would just never let anything go, so I know such people exist, but it's very regrettable....their attitude, not their existence.

auggiedoggy
06-29-2013, 11:19 AM
In my opinion and without seeing the card in person:
1. The PSA holder/slab is real. (The slabs are way too easy to open and reseal. PSA needs to make them totally self destruct upon cracking, similar to Beckett.)

No. Tamper-evident is ok with me.

Fred
06-29-2013, 11:38 AM
Why do people assume the flip is fake? It's really hard to compare the two flip scans because the scanners could be different, the resolution of the scans may not be the same and there could be other unaccounted for differences.

Seriosuly, if the person that owns the "fake" card really wants to do the hobby a favor then turn it over to PSA and let them investigate it. Better yet, why not allow the authorities investigate it. Sadly, many people may view this as a waste of public funds.

Runscott
06-29-2013, 12:09 PM
everyone on here seems to agree the 2nd card holder is fake and the flip is fake but
is it possible the cobb card itself is real and was removed from an authentic holder(trimmed or recolored or whatever) and placed in a fake psa holder and flip to upgrade the card

That's a strange question. The obvious response would be: "Ask your friend - he has the card", but you said that he "lost his investment." If that's the case, then the card must be a fake, unless he thought it was fake and threw it away, but it was actually real. But I'm guessing that's not the case, or you wouldn't be asking us if it is real or not;i.e-someone is still holding the 'card', or this entire story is bogus.

Rather than present a mystery for us to solve without all the information, why not just tell us what you know from the very beginning?

atx840
06-29-2013, 12:12 PM
Fred, that slip is not from PSA. Scanner brand and resolution will not affect the font spacing/kerning.

If a decent knockoff Rolex can pass as real I'm sure 10c slabs can be easily fabricated.

Scott, maybe the scammers are reading our feedback to improve their fakes.

sflayank
06-29-2013, 12:57 PM
im asking the prewar "experts" on this board if they can tell if the card is fake from the scans...or if the holder is fake or if the label is fake...very simple question that requires a yes or no answer to those questions
if you cant tell u cant tell if youre sure youre sure

atx840
06-29-2013, 01:34 PM
You misspelled "thanks everyone for your input so far"

npa589
06-29-2013, 01:45 PM
you misspelled "thanks everyone for your input so far"

+1

:d --- well, this is supposed to be the "big grin" green guy, but it's refusing to work. I put D, it puts d.

insccollectibles
06-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Larry,

I think everyone here is really trying to help you out. Simply the second scan is most likely a fake. The "L" in sweet caporal doesn't line up as well. I'm sorry your friend is out of his investment.

RGold
06-29-2013, 02:07 PM
+1

:d --- well, this is supposed to be the "big grin" green guy, but it's refusing to work. I put d, it puts d.

i have not been able to use the green grinny for several days. :D:D:D

sflayank
06-29-2013, 02:16 PM
thanks to all those with serious imput

thunderdan
06-29-2013, 02:46 PM
thanks to all those with serious imput

I don't know if you'd consider this serious input, but I own the Cobb on the left (Cobb #1). Recent purchase from REA.

auggiedoggy
06-29-2013, 03:45 PM
im asking the prewar "experts" on this board if they can tell if the card is fake from the scans...or if the holder is fake or if the label is fake...very simple question that requires a yes or no answer to those questions
if you cant tell u cant tell if youre sure youre sure

Rule #1 when asking for help or advice in this forum:

Don't act like a jackass by referring to the experts here as "experts". You might want to check your attitude at the door next time. There are bona-fide experts that frequent this forum that can help although with your attitude, I'm not sure why they'd want to.

sflayank
06-29-2013, 03:52 PM
the other cobb is on its way back to psa for authentication
i hope that yours is the real one
thanks
larry

for the other comment i always thought expert was a compliment
but i guess in 2013 we're speaking doubletalk(aldous huxley)

thunderdan
06-29-2013, 04:19 PM
I feel very confident that mine is real--certainly the flip is correct and the holder has not been breached. And in the event it wasn't, I've done enough business with and trust Rob Lifson enough to know that he would make things right.

One of the reasons I like doing business with REA.

sflayank
06-29-2013, 04:31 PM
no question about that
thanks

Peter_Spaeth
06-29-2013, 05:51 PM
i have not been able to use the green grinny for several days. :D:D:D

You can cut and past these if it happens again.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

smtjoy
06-29-2013, 11:38 PM
The only thing I can certain is the 2nd flip is fake, anything else I would say would be a guess.

Could be a trimmed real card
Could be a fake card
Could be a fake slab
Could be a real but tampered slab

Wish I could help more

danmckee
07-14-2013, 08:28 AM
The scumbag selling these fakes approached me about a month ago. He offered to mail them to me first and wanted to trade for my legit graded cards. I told him he could get into big trouble doing this and that I was going to contact my friend at the FBI.

I would have posted on the board to warn all of you as I used to do but I am no longer active here thanks to a few idiots that chased me away.

I am sure those idiots bring more to the table than me with information considering my 43 years of collecting.

Hopefully I will see my close friends here at the National.

Dan Mckee

atx840
09-19-2013, 07:49 PM
Another one? (http://www.sportscardlink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview%2Easp%3Fcode%3 D2013octspl%23Item%5F983911&id=983911)

http://i.imgur.com/uzF8a0D.jpg

ZachS
09-19-2013, 08:13 PM
You misspelled "thanks everyone for your input so far"

I laughed.

npa589
09-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Yea, me too, I really thought that line was hilarious...

Anyway, about the important issue --- this is rather disturbing. I wish the scan was of higher resolution so that we could really analyze the card without it in hand.

I laughed.

andy
09-20-2013, 01:13 PM
My opinion... First card/case/slip is legit. Second has fake slip and fake card front in a real case.

atx840
09-20-2013, 01:55 PM
This new fake PSA 7 Cobb is up for auction next month, wonder what other cards have been fabricated. :(

andy
09-20-2013, 02:05 PM
+1

robw
09-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Just plain scary. I still think there should be some sort of invisible stamp that the TPG's should use that the industry would accept....in addition to scanning every single graded card. if someone can replicate a holder and card that well, change is a must!

xcgrammer
09-20-2013, 03:24 PM
This is an example of why this hobby is at risk unless these companies do something quickly to get a better holder that is more secure. Does any one know if they are gonna upgrade the cases soon? This is why I tend to like Beckett.

xcgrammer
09-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Another one? (http://www.sportscardlink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fpreview%2Easp%3Fcode%3 D2013octspl%23Item%5F983911&id=983911)

http://i.imgur.com/uzF8a0D.jpg

This to me is very much not real? Anyone else agree?

2dueces
09-20-2013, 03:36 PM
This to me is very much not real? Anyone else agree?

Font looks right. Card looks right. Back looks right. What problems are you seeing with this PSA 7? Can't speak for the holder but the card looks good to me.

andy
09-20-2013, 04:37 PM
In my opinion... the 7 shares several printing anomalies with the second card at the start of this thead. Left shoulder too bright, right ear too dark, "R" in Detroit too bold, No printers marks at top and bottom of frame. It doesn't look like a typical Cobb green portrait to me. Just my opinion. Not a statement of fact.

sb1
09-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Maybe they resubmitted and got a bump! :D

CW
09-20-2013, 06:02 PM
This is an example of why this hobby is at risk unless these companies do something quickly to get a better holder that is more secure. Does any one know if they are gonna updrade the cases soon? This is why I tend to like Beckett.

PSA announced at the recent National convention that they are changing holder designs. It's the same size, and still stackable with older style slabs, but the new slab is more secure.

link to one thread over at CU discussing the new holder (http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=11&threadid=895096)

atx840
09-27-2013, 10:40 PM
Just heard from Sports Card Link and the PSA 7 green Cobb was checked by Mr Orlando and verified not authentic. Nice to see an AH pull the auction, resubmit and be open about it.

npa589
09-28-2013, 08:44 PM
Very good to hear, and thanks for pointing this out Chris!

Just heard from Sports Card Link and the PSA 7 green Cobb was checked by Mr Orlando and verified not authentic. Nice to see an AH pull the auction, resubmit and be open about it.