PDA

View Full Version : 'One arm' daily

felada
06-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Do any baseball images exist of one arm daily?

oldjudge
06-28-2013, 11:26 AM
This, or the other part?

mybuddyinc
06-28-2013, 02:16 PM
Back in 1984 (my old SABR days), I did some research on the Union Assoc. (mainly how the teams came and went). Daily always got a lot of press.

I believe there is a team "head shot" composite of one of the teams he was on.

One thing I can tell you, off-topic, somewhat, is that I never saw him named as "One Arm" Daily, he was always referred to as "Hugh Daily, the one armed pitcher."

DaveW
06-28-2013, 02:21 PM
old judge - that was gross. Funny, but gross. It probably would have been funnier if I wasn't eating my ham sandwich when I saw that. I can only imagine what you'll do with "heat shot" ....

Wite3
06-29-2013, 08:08 AM
This shows where to find the known images of Daily

http://sabrpedia.org/includes/active/people/pictures/8d8c99e4

z28jd
06-29-2013, 10:07 AM
Back in 1984 (my old SABR days), I did some research on the Union Assoc. (mainly how the teams came and went). Daily always got a lot of press.

I believe there is a team "head shot" composite of one of the teams he was on.

One thing I can tell you, off-topic, somewhat, is that I never saw him named as "One Arm" Daily, he was always referred to as "Hugh Daily, the one armed pitcher."

The one head shot is all I've ever seen as well.

I will point out something similar to what you said, with Mordecai "Three Fingers" Brown. I've read a lot of sports sections from his era and for the most part, he was referred to as either Farmer or Miner. So it must be something with hand abnormalities and nicknames.

A lot of the old nicknames don't match up to what you read about in the newspapers from the day, so they may just have been nicknames given by other players. I know when I write about current players now, I don't use any nicknames in the story unless you can relate what they did recently to their nickname.