PDA

View Full Version : 1982 Donruss Dale Murphy color variation

bn2cardz
06-23-2013, 07:58 PM
I don't do a lot on the postwar side, not alone in the post 80s. A while back I bought an 82 Donruss box for fun. I found that going through the box it had already been searched it that was obvious. Because of this I assume that packs came from separate boxes and may have come from different times in the production. It wasn't until now when I was looking through a couple of the cards again from that box that I noticed two of the Dale Murphy's looked completely different from each other. One was very blue, as if it was missing a pass of magenta, yet there still is a slight hint of magenta in the face. I don't have scans yet because I just noticed it. I wanted to know if there were known variations like this in the set?

Rgklein
08-22-2013, 08:00 PM
I found a few Murphs with the same variation, wow. Ever learn anything else about this?

bn2cardz
08-22-2013, 08:35 PM
No I haven't, but it is funny because I pulled those out tonight and was going to scan them in and post them finally, but got distracted by children and have since put them back away. I tried comparing other cards from the box to see any thing like this, but the only other color thing I saw was that there were variations in the black, but that pales in comparison to the huge difference in the two Murphy's.

bn2cardz
11-04-2013, 07:56 PM
Sorting cards and found these two again and realized I had never scanned them for this thread.

steve B
11-05-2013, 08:41 AM
Well!

I thought you were talking about the typical "more blue or less blue" that's common and is usually from bad registration. If blue and red are overlaid to make different shades the registration and inking will change the shade.

But those are different enough that I think it's probably something else.

Either they're different because the plates were made differently, or a different blue was used for a while. Or both.

Steve B

bn2cardz
11-05-2013, 09:09 AM
I recently changed professions from printing. So I do know about slight changes. I have looked through all the other duplicates I have from the set and besides slight changes (typically in the saturation of black) I didn't see any other drastic changes like these two cards. Looking online it is hard to see what ones are which because you never know if it is scanner settings or not. Since I am not huge on the 80s-present cards (I obviously own them but don't research them) so I didn't know if this was a known variation or just a random sheet coloring.

bnorth
11-05-2013, 12:32 PM
Sorting cards and found these two again and realized I had never scanned them for this thread.

Looks like opposite ends of the printing spectrum in cyan. The card on the left looks to be a little light in cyan and the card on the right seems to have a little extra cyan ink. It is very common in the print error world. I have several similar cards.