PDA

View Full Version : Another Negro League? Samuel Huston Football. Willie Wells?

novakjr
06-23-2013, 01:42 PM
Now, I know the item at hand here is a page from a guide book, and I don't want that to be the focus. Just the image on the page.... So please don't let this turn into an ethics discussion on the handling of guide books and individual pages...

This is taken from what I believe is guide book from 1924, so I think that would make it the '23 team... From what I know, Willie Wells did attend Samuel Huston College, and left school when he was signed on to play for the St. Louis Stars for the 1924 season. What I don't know, is if he played football while there. I have seen his high school football career noted on occasion though. So it's possible that he would've attempted to play both sports while in college.

Timeline wise, everything seems to line up for this to possibly be him on the image.. Now I'm not saying that it is, or isn't. And the image is kinda hard to examine, especially with the helmets on. So I really don't know.

Just throwing this out there for discussion and speculation. Can anyone confirm whether or not he played while there? or if it's him in this photo?... Also, does anyone know if the original photo is still floating around out there somewhere?

bcbgcbrcb
06-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Just judging from appearance, does not look like Devil Wells to me.