PDA

View Full Version : OT: For fun: Star Trek and BB cards, what does the future hold?

tcdyess
06-20-2013, 11:55 AM
http://www.avclub.com/articles/in-the-cardscall-to-arms,98879/

Silly I know, but what does everyone think the long term future holds for collecting our vintage gems...

This 51 Mays sure makes it a long time.........

Tim

Exhibitman
06-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Thankfully, I did not know WTF most of that article was about.

Cardboard Junkie
06-20-2013, 01:15 PM
What does the future hold for our cards? The same future for all "normal matter particles", (the elements). They will "radiate" away. No way to stop that!

tbob
06-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Thankfully, I did not know WTF most of that article was about.

+1. I quit reading the article after the first paragraph...

SetBuilder
06-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Baseball cards will disintegrate slowly and the plastic slabs will eat away at the cards over a few hundred years until they turn brittle and eventually turn to dust.

I highly recommend this documentary, Life After People:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/graphics/news3/LifeAfterPeople_BLU.jpg

It tells you everything you need to know.

z28jd
06-20-2013, 01:27 PM
I watched that Life After People until they showed the Australian Sydney Opera House fall into the water, then 25 years later it was in the background of some bridge falling down! Who rebuilt it, koala's wearing hard hats? Highly unlikely

Cardboard Junkie
06-20-2013, 01:36 PM
I watched that Life After People until they showed the Australian Sydney Opera House fall into the water, then 25 years later it was in the background of some bridge falling down! Who rebuilt it, koala's wearing hard hats? Highly unlikely

Not sure but I think koalas have prehensile hands....?

sycks22
06-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Who is filming the documentary after everyone is gone? Is Orlando still around?

Steve D
06-20-2013, 04:13 PM
That was actually the second Star Trek episode to feature a baseball card. The Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Most Toys" featured a 1962 Topps Roger Maris.

Steve

z28jd
06-20-2013, 04:16 PM
That was actually the second Star Trek episode to feature a baseball card. The Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Most Toys" featured a 1962 Topps Roger Maris.

Steve

Nerd! :)

Steve D
06-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Nerd! :)

:D

So what's your point??? :p

I have to admit, I am a (non) card-carrying life-long Trekkie. I'm not even sure which one came first. I know I bought my first pack of baseball cards in 1970 and have never stopped collecting in the years since. I also watched every episode of Star Trek when it was on TV back in the '70s, and have been a Trek fanatic ever since :D Heck, I may have even watched it during it's original run in the '60s, although I was too young to remember it now.

And yes, I have been to many Star Trek conventions (but have never dressed up in costume). The most I've done is wear a Star Trek t-shirt. I also have autographed photos of practically every one of the main stars in the different series'.

Steve

EvilKing00
06-20-2013, 04:42 PM
+1. I quit reading the article after the first paragraph...

same here lol

But Capt Kirk was the man