PDA

View Full Version : 1918 Chattanooga postcard ID help

abroome
06-20-2013, 08:30 AM
Greetings everyone,
I have a real photo postcard of what I believe is of the 1918 Chattanooga Lookouts.
Whenever I see a pre-war photo with sailors, I first think 1917-1918.
Based on the AZO back, it cannot be newer than 1918.
I think I have ID'd three players. The three players in the close up are, I believe from left to right: Zack Taylor, Bob Higgins and Tommy Leach. Anyone else agree? I think the Leach is a lock but I'm not the ID expert.
What I was hoping was to find Manuel Cueto on the card but I do not see him.

Andy

Greenmonster
06-21-2013, 07:04 PM
Hi Andy..Another possibility.....you mayhave a postcard of the baseball team from the USS Chatanooga.

thecatspajamas
06-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Maybe I'm overthinking this, but it looks like when operations were suspended for the Southern League in late June of 1918, Chattanooga was about in the middle of the league standings with a 35-34 record, so I'm not sure what they would have been winning a trophy for...?

And looking backwards from there, they didn't break the top half of the rankings until you get back to 1913 when they finished the season in 4th place (out of 8), and never finished a season in 1st place going back to their inception in 1885.

I wish I had a photo reference to compare uniforms, but I'm leaning more towards Jim's suggestion.

thecatspajamas
06-21-2013, 07:58 PM
And maybe one of these days I'll learn to finish digging before posting. Check out the 4th photo down on this page (with description: Photo of the Baseball Team):

http://www.navsource.org/archives/04/c16/c16.htm

Doesn't give an exact date, but I believe Jim wins the prize on this one. Good suggestion, Jim!