PDA

View Full Version : Are they for real!?

hcv123
06-19-2013, 07:44 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=181160836044&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JSA-Authenticated-Signed-Roberto-Clemente-Cut-Team-Photo-Copy-Auto-BVG-Slabbed-/350817719214?ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

GasHouseGang
06-19-2013, 09:40 AM
You'll have better luck getting an answer to your question if you post this in the autograph section. Good luck.

novakjr
06-19-2013, 10:50 AM
As much as I hate to say this. I'd probably never do it myself, BUT I LOVE the way these photocopies of cards look signed and slabbed. Obviously can't speak as to their authenticity though..

brob28
06-19-2013, 03:57 PM
Can't comment with any authority on the autographs themselves but it seems odd to me that someone would photocopy (or are they b&w pictures) cards to have them signed. Not really sure how available copiers were back then. Had to be 1972 at the latest.

hcv123
06-19-2013, 06:17 PM
WHY would these be real? Who in their right mind would ever think to photocopy a card instead of having the worthless cards (at the time of issue) signed? Makes absolutely no sense,

JollyElm
06-19-2013, 06:53 PM
This may be pertinent. When I was little my father had some real estate business dealings with Whitey Ford and one night he brought home photocopies of his, I believe, 1954 Topps card (I still have the card in rough shape somewhere around here) autographed for me and two of my brothers. We really had no clue who Whitey Ford was (and we were Mets fans), so those photocopies eventually vanished in the attic of time. But they were, in fact, autographed photocopies of cards, so I wouldn't discount the concept out of hand.

The reason he had Whitey autograph photocopies was due to the simple fact that there were 3 of us and he only had the one card.

daves_resale_shop
06-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Could they perhaps be something that was cut out of a paperstock periodical or program?

the 'stache
06-20-2013, 01:24 AM
I have to agree...why would anybody take a photocopy of a card to Clemente to sign when the real thing was at the time inexpensive, and plentiful?

I'd kill to have a Roberto Clemente autographed anything...but I'd just have to pass on this. It's ugly, in my opinion, and unnecessary. The 1971 Topps is my second favorite Clemente card. If I could get the real thing, and was sure of it's authenticity (some provenance would be nice, though unlikely available), then I'd jump in.