PDA

View Full Version : Are there any decent free web hosting companies out there?

shammus
06-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Recently, I've had a bit of an urge to design and build my own site again to show off some cards. Not really looking to add any expenses right now so I was hoping for a free site (yeah, I get it - I'm amazingly cheap....spending thousands on cards yet doesn't want to spend a dime to show them off).

I was using a platform 000webost.com and they're awful. I signed up for their freebie account and in the two days I've had my account, my website has been down for all but just 2-3 hours of it in the morning because I'm sharing server space with so many people. So I'm getting the feeling that trying to access my site during the late afternoon/evening will be a lost cause.

Oh, and I haven't even built a page yet. I've gotten as far as creating an "index.html" page and put "This is the homepage" on it just for testing purposes. Like I said, works in the morning when no one is online but come late afternoon/evening, the servers crash and there's no accessing anything.

Soooooo....all that being said, any of you guys have a freebie account with a webhost that has minimal server crashing that you would recommend? A few years ago, I really liked Yahoo's Geocities as a webhost but they've shut down since then....

steve B
06-18-2013, 07:21 PM
Would what you want fit in the space you get from your ISP? Most offer some free space. The downside is that there's usually no features, it's just accessible disc space.

Steve B

RCMcKenzie
06-18-2013, 07:41 PM
I like the new flickr.com design and its free.

Here's mine that I loaded some cards to. Still a work in progress.

www.flickr.com/photos/89681088@N08/

digdugdig
06-18-2013, 07:47 PM
I've had a tripod site for 10-12 years now. www.tripod.com

shammus
06-18-2013, 07:48 PM
I like the new flickr.com design and its free.

Here's mine that I loaded some cards to. Still a work in progress.

www.flickr.com/photos/89681088@N08/

Thanks for a suggestion....that looks pretty good, but I liked designing and building my own site from the ground up. I think platforms such as flickr or Imageevent are more galleries just for displaying images. I'm needing to sort of build my own webpage layout with a lot of text added in so those probably won't work :)

Steve - thanks for the response. I have AT&T Wireless... I don't believe they have any webhosting services available....

Jaybird
06-18-2013, 11:33 PM
I've been using Weebly and it is free if you leave their little logo in the bottom of your page. You can pay for the "professional" service, which just means they remove that banner at the bottom.

www.weebly.com

I use it for our show website. They have some pre-planned layouts but you can also do your own html if you're so inclined.

shammus
06-19-2013, 12:07 AM
Took a quick look at tripod and weebly. Both sound promising although I was thinking I'd have maybe 8-10 pages and tripod appears to only allow 5. How are the crash rates on those two? Doug/Jason, do you guys have any problems with your sites being down? How is the customer service?

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

jp1216
06-19-2013, 09:00 AM
I've been using weebly for a few years. Easy and trouble free. My 'show' pages are free and simple. Also used weebly to host my father-in-law's wood working site. Dakotawoodcrafts.com
Their templates are nice and its user friendly.

digdugdig
06-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Took a quick look at tripod and weebly. Both sound promising although I was thinking I'd have maybe 8-10 pages and tripod appears to only allow 5. How are the crash rates on those two? Doug/Jason, do you guys have any problems with your sites being down? How is the customer service?

Maybe things have changed since I joined "at the turn of the century" but I have hundreds of files (alotta text files though). The limit is not files but disk space, in my case, 20 Mb free space.

Jaybird
06-19-2013, 12:04 PM

Never crashed to my knowledge.

jerrys
06-20-2013, 01:19 PM
Hi Shammus,

I have two domains hosted by 000webost.com for years and haven't had the trouble you mentioned.

http://jsgalleries.net/

http://simmonslake.net/brandon.htm

I'm just changing a few things on the first one right now. The second one is one I'm setting up for my coin club. I'm using my local community domain as a temporary site. Our club is a member of the American Numismatic Association and they offer hosting and a URL associate domain. They will be sending me an FTP program to transfer my files onto their web site.

Let me know if I can help.

Jerry

shammus
06-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. Jerry, I noticed you had your own URLs on those sites. Those weren't freebie sites were they? That's what mine is and it's next to impossible to access your page.

I tinkered around with Weebly and I think that will be the next one I try. Question for the Weebly experts - I'm wanting to just code my own pages and not use any layouts or preset themes. Is the easiest way to import my own code to go to the "Import Theme" tab in the bottom left corner of the "Design" page shown in the screenshot below?

Thanks guys!

jerrys
06-20-2013, 10:10 PM
Yes 000webhost.com has free hosting. The domains are mine and I write the code. You say "it's next to impossible to access your page." When you click on either link it doesn't access a site? I don't understand, those sites have been up and have been accessed for a long time.