PDA

View Full Version : Collector Gerry Glasser Dies

barrysloate
06-18-2013, 06:55 AM
I just learned this morning that long time collector Gerry Glasser has died after a short illness. Though he sold most of his collection in recent years, at his peak he put together one of the finest collections of candy and gum cards, wrappers and advertising pieces, in the hobby's history (he refused to collect tobacco cards of any kind). His Cracker Jacks and Goudeys were superb and among the best ever assembled. He hated slabbing, and until he sold his collection he kept everything raw in albums. He also had what I believe was the highest graded Lincoln Penny collection ever assembled.

But most important Gerry was one of the nicest, and most ethical people I have ever known. I considered him a friend for many years and will miss him.

Very sadly, he lost his son Thomas on 9/11 and was never the same. Not everyone knew Gerry but those who did were rewarded for the experience.

vintagetoppsguy
06-18-2013, 07:01 AM
I did not know Gerry, but I am sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

barrysloate
06-18-2013, 07:14 AM
Thanks David. If there was such a thing as a hobby gentleman, that would describe Gerry perfectly.

tedzan
06-18-2013, 07:26 AM
Barry

This is very sad news. Gerry was a 1st class gentleman in this hobby going back to the 1970's, who always was willing to share his expertise on all of the Goudey sets,
and the Play Ball sets. Of which he published several articles on back in the 1980's.

Gerry and I had some great times at the Willow Grove and Ft Washington Show days (1981 - 2001). The tragic loss of his son, Thomas, in the World Trade Center on
9/11 2001, seemed to have drained Gerry of his enthusiasm for the hobby.

GOD BLESS his soul and comfort his Family.

TED Z

autograf
06-18-2013, 08:19 AM
Didn't know him but it has to be good to have Barry and Ted on your side.....condolences to the family and friends.....

Leon
06-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Didn't know him but it has to be good to have Barry and Ted on your side.....condolences to the family and friends.....

Agreed- Must have been one heck of a nice gentleman. Condolences to his family and friends. Always sad to lose one of the old guard.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/nytimes/obituary.aspx?n=gerald-j-glasser&pid=165388260#fbLoggedOut

oaks1912
06-18-2013, 08:59 AM
Barry...Thanks for posting this. I had not communicated with Gerry in a number of years, primarily after his son was killed. He was a true gentleman and probably the most knowledgeable collector of the '30's era cards and always a highlight to visit with at the East Coast shows and National Convention. HIs VCBC articles are probably the most comprehensive coverage of the sets he enjoyed and will be used by collectors for decades to come.

barrysloate
06-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Thanks Leon for linking Gerry's obituary. Everybody was so horrified to discover Gerry's son was in one of the towers on September 11. He said to me his life was pretty much over after that. Every year on the memorial I listen for Thomas Glasser when they read off the names of all who perished that day. Why such a tragedy happened to so good a person is impossible to fathom.

bigtrain
06-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Gerry was local to me, just a few miles away and it was always a treat to speak to him about the hobby. One of my friends worked for him for years at Statistical Research. He was loved and respected by everyone.

ullmandds
06-18-2013, 09:55 AM
that's sad to hear...how tragic to have lost his son during 9/11...my condolences to his family and friends.

BruceWayne
06-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Thanks Leon for linking Gerry's obituary. Everybody was so horrified to discover Gerry's son was in one of the towers on September 11. He said to me his life was pretty much over after that. Every year on the memorial I listen for Thomas Glasser when they read off the names of all who perished that day. Why such a tragedy happened to so good a person is impossible to fathom.
WOW. Hard to even imagine the feeling a father goes through with the loss of a child. My prayers go out to those who knew Gerry during this time of grieving. Though I didn't know him, it sounds as though Gerry was a quality person who had a positive impact on those around him.

ethicsprof
06-18-2013, 11:48 AM
very sad news.
my condolences to family and friends.
with deepest sympathy,
barry

Zone91
06-18-2013, 11:54 AM
My condolences!!

Post # 2

Yankeefan51
06-18-2013, 06:55 PM
I first met Gerry at the Copeland Auction. When I was very ill a number of years ago, he arranged for me to get into a special program at NYU.

We spent hundreds of hours talking. After Tommy passed, I use to have
lunch with him every 6th Saturday at his favorite dinner in NJ

Gerry was brilliant, warm and a great student of the game and the hobby

Although he did care for grading, he will always be a PSA 10 in my book

Bruce Dorskind
bdorskind@dorskindgroup.com
America's Toughest Want Line

insccollectibles
06-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Thank you for sharing Yankeefan51. My condolences to his family and friends.

Tim Kindler
06-18-2013, 07:11 PM
My condolences to his family and friends. I just went back and read a few of his articles in VCBC about Goudeys and the George C. Miller set. He was very knowledgeable in his articles. Mr. Macrae was correct in saying that his impact and knowledge of cards will be treasured and live on through fellow collectors for future generations.

Rich Klein
06-18-2013, 08:09 PM
Without realizing that - but any time a collector passes who is that devoted not only to his hobby but also to his family a part of all of us leaves as well.

Anyone who people as dissimilar as Mark M and Bruce D enjoy must have been a heck of a man and no parent should ever have to bury their child, especially if they lost their life due to the idiots who brought you 9/11,

Rich

the 'stache
06-18-2013, 10:32 PM
Barry, I'm sorry to hear of your friend's passing. It sounds like he was a really good man, and an asset to the hobby. It's just terrible that he lost his son on 9/11. While I was fortunate enough not to have known anybody that died that day, one of my colleagues worked for Cantor Fitzgerald at WTC tower 1, and transferred to TD Ameritrade only a few months prior to the attacks. All these years later, he's still devastated. So many people are reliving the attack every day. There's just no moving on from what happened.

Are there any pictures of the collection Gerry had put together before he sold it off?

Rickyy
06-19-2013, 01:20 AM
My condolences to his family and friends who knew him.

Ricky Y

mrvster
06-19-2013, 04:44 AM
my deepest.....sounds like a true guy.......prayers for him.....:)

barrysloate
06-19-2013, 04:47 AM
Thanks Bill, and while I don't know if there are any online photos of Gerry's collection, I can share a story with you.

Back in July 2001 (note the date was two months before 9/11) I purchased, along with a well known hobby dealer/collector, Gerry's entire E card collection. It was comprised of high grade complete sets of E90-1, E90-2, E90-3, E-92 Nadja, E-93, E-95, E-96, and a near complete E-103. Gerry provided a complete set of color photocopies which I still have (and perhaps later today I can post some scans of it).

Here are some of the sample grades: E90-1: Jackson 5, Mitchell 4; Cobb 5; Collins 6; Crawford 6; Duffy 5; Graham 6(!); Joss 6; Karger 5; Keeler 6; Wagner throwing 6 (!); E-95 Cobb 6; Matty 6; E103 Jennings 6; and Cobb 7 (!). That's just a small sample.

And of course Gerry was low key and relaxed about the whole transaction, and worked with us to make sure we were both comfortable with it too. Truly a special collector!

benjulmag
06-19-2013, 06:19 AM
I had the pleasure of knowing Gerry for many years. He was a true gentleman and a man of great integrity. His love of the hobby and what he collected was sincere, and he took special pleasure in collecting cards he once collected as a kid. I extend my deepest condolences to his family and friends.

glynparson
06-19-2013, 06:31 AM
To one fine gentleman. I hope he is happy and at peace reunited with his son. Thank you for all the knowledge you shared with so many over the years. You will be missed.

the 'stache
06-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Thanks Bill, and while I don't know if there are any online photos of Gerry's collection, I can share a story with you.

Back in July 2001 (note the date was two months before 9/11) I purchased, along with a well known hobby dealer/collector, Gerry's entire E card collection. It was comprised of high grade complete sets of E90-1, E90-2, E90-3, E-92 Nadja, E-93, E-95, E-96, and a near complete E-103. Gerry provided a complete set of color photocopies which I still have (and perhaps later today I can post some scans of it).

Here are some of the sample grades: E90-1: Jackson 5, Mitchell 4; Cobb 5; Collins 6; Crawford 6; Duffy 5; Graham 6(!); Joss 6; Karger 5; Keeler 6; Wagner throwing 6 (!); E-95 Cobb 6; Matty 6; E103 Jennings 6; and Cobb 7 (!). That's just a small sample.

And of course Gerry was low key and relaxed about the whole transaction, and worked with us to make sure we were both comfortable with it too. Truly a special collector!

Wow, that's a cool story, Barry, and yes, I'd very much like to see those pictures if you have them still. They'd be a nice addition to this discussion, and I'm sure your friend would like them to be enjoyed.

bigfanNY
07-13-2013, 01:42 PM
I was fortunate enough to know Gerry and 1n the early 90's when I was selling some cards to finace grad school we transacted some business. In fact it was him that My Dad and I sold our 1934 Goudey and 1940 playball sets. I dont think we would have sold those sets at that time to anyone else but we knew Gerry would enjoy and care for them. Gerry wrote a letter of recomendation for me to grad school and went out of his way to help me inside and outside the hobby. Last week I came accross a recipt Gerry had given me I put it aside and am glad I did not through it away. I have been away from the hobby for some time and at the last Philly show someone mentioned that Gerry was no longer collecting. A true gentelman and his passing is a loss to everyone who ever met him.

NewEnglandBaseBallist
07-13-2013, 03:41 PM
My condolences to Gerry's family and friends. Very sad news.

timn1
07-14-2013, 12:38 PM
I met Gerry online in the late 1990s and he taught me a lot about 1930s material-- Later he invited me to his house to see his cards (and took me out to dinner). His 1930s sets were among the finest anywhere. He truly was a gentleman (and a gentle man) who I will always remember with great fondness. I thought of him when I was at the 9-11 memorial this May and I found his son on the list of those lost. I don't think Gerry ever really recovered from that.

Tim

ethicsprof
07-14-2013, 12:48 PM
very sad news, indeed.
my condolences to family and friends.
with deepest sympathy,

Barry

forgive the repeat post but reading barry s.'s memorable stories once again brought back the memories of those who died and
lived through the physical and emotional pains of 9/11