PDA

View Full Version : Which Mantle would you prefer?

CW
06-17-2013, 10:31 PM
Both of these Mantle sigs are on Perez-Steele Greatest Moments cards, both in PSA holders. If either of these look questionable, please state your case if you wouldn't mind sharing. Aside from that, my main question is....

Which Mantle would you prefer to have in your collection, and why? Upper or lower? I am talking about aesthetics, and this is assuming both are authentic.

Thanks for your opinions.

http://photos.imageevent.com/ltsgallery/distributionfolder/distalbum/websize/mick%20sigs.jpg

chaddurbin
06-17-2013, 10:57 PM
i prefer the loop

Mr. Zipper
06-18-2013, 04:59 AM
Me too. Lower example.

GrayGhost
06-18-2013, 08:03 AM
lower

GrayGhost
06-18-2013, 08:04 AM
I have seen plenty of real ones both ways and u can see how beautiful Mick's signature was.

scmavl
06-18-2013, 08:30 AM
I like the pointy moons over the loops. If you pass on the upper one, would you please provide me with the sellers name? I've been collecting some of the signed PS and need a Mantle. Thanks!

HOF Auto Rookies
06-18-2013, 08:35 AM
Any other options? :)

travrosty
06-18-2013, 09:07 AM
whats the dif?

CW
06-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Thanks for all your votes and/or replies!

I'll explain some of my ulterior motives for starting this thread, some of which I didn't want to share for fear of skewing the results.

I am not much of an autograph collector, but Mantle's autograph intrigues me, for some reason. First, it's very appealing and stylistic, and even within the sports autograph world it's a standout auto, not only for the player who penned them, but for the look. It's also interesting to see how his vintage auto looked back in the early 50s, as recently shown by one of Mike Navarro's recent pickups.

Anyways, I wanted to find out a few things about these two Mantle autos in particular.

First, was anything problematic with them considering authenticity -- mainly, was it odd that the "M" and "a" were disconnected in the lower example's "Mantle".

2nd, I was curious to know what collectors preferred: the sharp angled "half moon" style of the upper sig, or the "looped" version below it.

3rd, I recently added the lower one to my collection. The upper auto was in an auction from about a month ago. I was the underbidder on that one, and it sold for over $100 more than the lower example (sorry, Jarrod -- the upper auto is not available for sale anywhere).

I was curious to know if the higher price paid for the upper example was because of the auto itself, or some other factor (both were sold by reputable sellers).

I also prefer the loops, but I thought the upper sig was a bit smoother and flowed better overall.

Thanks again, all!

dapro
06-18-2013, 01:19 PM
I am a sucker for the half moon Mantle. All my mantles are like that.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/jgtdragon/Sports%20collectibles/Mantle_Balls.jpg

shelly
06-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Now here is how you ruin a percect Mantle autograph