PDA

View Full Version : OT: Postcard Classifications

HOF Auto Rookies
06-17-2013, 10:12 AM
I know this probably has been discussed a little bit, but I'm just curious as to others' thoughts on postcards. Do you feel that they fall under the 'baseball card' category, or is it a category in itself?

I know many view it as they do, and don't. I personally feel that they don't, and I do not consider them 'baseball cards' for my collection.

Leon
06-17-2013, 10:43 AM
As a type collector I have a broad definition of cards. I do think they are cards. Burdick even classified many of them and gave quite a bit of space to them in his venerable American Card Catalog. Here is a brief excerpt but there are several pages on them..

http://luckeycards.com/postcards.jpg

Cardboard Junkie
06-17-2013, 11:24 AM
Even though Burdick was a founding "pioneer" of our hobby.....he still got a lot wrong. Dave.

rhettyeakley
06-17-2013, 11:41 AM
Never really understood the argument against them.
They are made of paper... Check.
They are "cards" (it's even the in the name postcard)... Check
They are a reasonable size (smaller than a cabinet or a T3)... Check

I'm not seeing the problem, but I also don't care if others view them as cards as they probably don't view some other things as cards that obviously are! :)

HOF Auto Rookies
06-17-2013, 12:11 PM
Never really understood the argument against them.
They are made of paper... Check.
They are "cards" (it's even the in the name postcard)... Check
They are a reasonable size (smaller than a cabinet or a T3)... Check

I'm not seeing the problem, but I also don't care if others view them as cards as they probably don't view some other things as cards that obviously are! :)

Well, the intended purpose of postcards are different than just cards from packs.

Leon
06-17-2013, 12:32 PM
Well, the intended purpose of postcards are different than just cards from packs.

How? There are quite a few postcard sets to be collected.

glchen
06-17-2013, 12:46 PM
I said "yes," but has there ever been a prewar postcard set that advertised itself as something like "collect all 60!" or "collect 10 and return for a baseball" or had their "sets" numbered like is commonly seen for typical baseball "cards?"

Leon
06-17-2013, 12:55 PM
I said "yes," but has there ever been a prewar postcard set that advertised itself as something like "collect all 60!" or "collect 10 and return for a baseball" or had their "sets" numbered like is commonly seen for typical baseball "cards?"

http://luckeycards.com/ppcuncsportinglifewithadback.jpg

HOF Auto Rookies
06-17-2013, 01:07 PM

Were postcards ever offered other than to send a message to someone, like Goudey's for example, in gum packs. I am very unfamiliar with postcards.

The example you gave, what did you get when you completed the set?

Jaybird
06-17-2013, 01:07 PM

I also don't understand that argument. Lots of cards were sold as promotional tools. Same as postcards. Some cards were packaged with candy and gum, but some were not. Look at the M101-4, given out with boy's suits or whatnot.

I didn't vote because I'm not sure I really care what they are classified as and if it keeps some people away from them to not call them cards, I'm all for it. I also think that postcard collectors aren't as hung up on the condition and grading and registry, which I appreciate as well. I guess I'm happy to be a card AND a postcard collector. Call me what you will. ;)

Leon
06-17-2013, 01:22 PM
Were postcards ever offered other than to send a message to someone, like Goudey's for example, in gum packs. I am very unfamiliar with postcards.

The example you gave, what did you get when you completed the set?

I don't know if Postcards were offered for anything other than sending a message. After all, that is what a postcard does. I have seen a ton of postcard size cards that don't have a postcard back but are somewhat considered postcards. I think if we try to get too strict on a definition it's going to get into semantics....And all of this debate I am having isn't to feather my own nest. I don't even collect them per se'.

What do you get upon completion? You get the satisfaction of completing the set...just like with TOPPs etc.....

HOF Auto Rookies
06-17-2013, 01:46 PM
I don't know if Postcards were offered for anything other than sending a message. After all, that is what a postcard does. I have seen a ton of postcard size cards that don't have a postcard back but are somewhat considered postcards. I think if we try to get too strict on a definition it's going to get into semantics....And all of this debate I am having isn't to feather my own nest. I don't even collect them per se'.

What do you get upon completion? You get the satisfaction of completing the set...just like with TOPPs etc.....

I definitely understand. For my own sake of collecting purposes and goals they don't fit, I could care less what they are classified outside of it. I still think there are some very cool PC's.

I know with some promo's Topps had back in the day, you sent in so many pack wrappers or whatnot and could get like a glove or something.

slidekellyslide
06-17-2013, 02:07 PM
Postcards are NOT cards, especially baseball themed postcards...do NOT collect them. :)

Jaybird
06-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Postcards are NOT cards, especially baseball themed postcards...do NOT collect them. :)

I agree. They really shouldn't be part of any self-respecting baseball card collector's collection. Rubbish I say!

glchen
06-17-2013, 05:05 PM

Interesting. Thanks for showing that, Leon.

bcbgcbrcb
06-17-2013, 05:13 PM
Agree with Jason.

E93
06-17-2013, 05:55 PM
. I don't even collect them per se'.....

You don't collect baseball cards? ;)
JimB

Greenmonster
06-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Agree with Jason and Dan. :D

Jason made an great point on condition, postcard collectors aren't as concerned about condition and having a postcard graded by PSA or SGC is really a waste of $$$. If I buy a graded postcard I'll crack the slab and add the postcard to my collection. The grading companies don't understand the postcard collector and are really missing out on a huge (world wide) potential market for grading postcards if they were to do it correctly.

Leon
06-17-2013, 06:28 PM
You don't collect baseball cards? ;)
JimB

Actually I voted yes but they should, and do, have their own designation as other series do....

bender07
06-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Agree with Jason and Dan. :D

Jason made an great point on condition, postcard collectors aren't as concerned about condition and having a postcard graded by PSA or SGC is really a waste of $$$. If I buy a graded postcard I'll crack the slab and add the postcard to my collection. The grading companies don't understand the postcard collector and are really missing out on a huge (world wide) potential market for grading postcards if they were to do it correctly.
Care to elaborate on that? I'm a new PC collector and interested in your perspective.

Greenmonster
06-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Hi Mark...Postcard collecting is a world wide hobby, huge in Europe, Asia, and all over the world, the hobby dwarfs baseball card collecting. Of course I'm not talking about just baseball theme postcards but all other topics, many, such as artist signed are valued in the thousands of dollars. As far as I know there are no grading companies grading for this market. The baseball card grading companies apply the same grading conditions to the postcard as a baseball card without consideration to what the card was intended for...being mailed. They should consider grading a postcard as either "used" or "unused" and then provide a numeric grade for the condition. Much in the same way they grade Red Man or Zeenut cards with/without tabs/coupons. Currently a postcard that has been used is downgraded because it has been written on, that condition really means little to a postcard collector and in some cases makes the card more desirable.

Bicem
06-17-2013, 07:48 PM
Real photo one off postcards, such as this, I would say are closer to photos than baseball cards. (not mine)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Rk6GBqQuP1E/TKUr1V4E4PI/AAAAAAAAIqs/vebMSWhrtR4/s1600/001_big.jpg

Postcards issued as part of a set and meant to be collected I would say are definitely baseball cards. (mine)

http://photos.imageevent.com/bicem/lincolnpub/websize/LP%20Plank.jpg

rhettyeakley
06-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Here is one really tough type card that definitely is related to a product and it is even Baseball related (who can tell everyone how?)

Note this card has a T-card ACC designation... c.1906 T132 Pulliam Cigar

http://starsofthediamond.com/pulliam1.jpg
http://starsofthediamond.com/pulliam2.jpg

insidethewrapper
06-17-2013, 10:14 PM
What is the best Postcard book and checklist relating to baseball on the market ?

glynparson
06-18-2013, 06:16 PM
I mean the freaking word card is in the name I don't get the negative.

h2oya311
06-18-2013, 06:22 PM

+1!! Stay away at all costs.!!