PDA

View Full Version : OT- Yesterday was the 75th anniversary of Vander Meer's 2nd consecutive no-hitter

Scott Garner
06-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Sorry about this being posted a day late, but I just returned from vacation.

Yesterday, June 15th, 2013 was the 75th anniversary of Johnny "Double No-Hit" Vander Meer's 2nd consecutive no-hitter.

Here's a toast to one of MLB's most enduring records... :D

Bumpus Jones
06-16-2013, 09:22 PM
Well done! My friend.

jerseygary
06-17-2013, 10:43 AM
I was at the Reds game on Saturday which was Johnny Vander Meer double no-hitter give-away night. Know what they gave away? A lousy 8 1/2x11 one sided badly designed graphic of him. Who the heck wants that, especially when you have to carry it around the whole game? Out of all the things to commemorate the achievement which will most likely never be equaled, the Reds give a flimsy print out? As a designer and illustrator I have tried for years to help the team out with their commemoratives and give always but always get a block from the front office.

What a blown opportunity to commemorate a super-human sports record!

Here is a link to a story and drawing I did of Johnny Vander Meer and his double no-hitters

Johnny Vander Meer: Pride Of The Garden State (http://infinitecardset.blogspot.com/2010/12/60-johnny-vander-meer-pride-of-garden.html)

batsballsbases
06-17-2013, 11:30 AM
Very nice Scott! He would have been proud!;)

perezfan
06-17-2013, 04:56 PM
A perfect excuse to post one of my favorite pennants- Commemorating Baseball's most unbreakable record...

Nobody could ever pull off 3 consecutive No No's... Could they? :rolleyes:

Bumpus Jones
06-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Way to rub it in Mark;)

Scott Garner
06-17-2013, 09:07 PM
A perfect excuse to post one of my favorite pennants- Commemorating Baseball's most unbreakable record...

Nobody could ever pull off 3 consecutive No No's... Could they? :rolleyes:

Mark,
Thanks for posting your Vandy no-hitter pennant. Awesome!

I've got to tell you that this pennant is #1 on my current holy grail list.
Please help me find one!

Bumpus Jones
06-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Hey Scott,

I thought mine was number one on your list:D

Scott Garner
06-17-2013, 09:14 PM
I was at the Reds game on Saturday which was Johnny Vander Meer double no-hitter give-away night. Know what they gave away? A lousy 8 1/2x11 one sided badly designed graphic of him. Who the heck wants that, especially when you have to carry it around the whole game? Out of all the things to commemorate the achievement which will most likely never be equaled, the Reds give a flimsy print out? As a designer and illustrator I have tried for years to help the team out with their commemoratives and give always but always get a block from the front office.

What a blown opportunity to commemorate a super-human sports record!

Here is a link to a story and drawing I did of Johnny Vander Meer and his double no-hitters

Johnny Vander Meer: Pride Of The Garden State (http://infinitecardset.blogspot.com/2010/12/60-johnny-vander-meer-pride-of-garden.html)

Gary,
Your art work is terrific! You are correct, I saw the Vander Meer giveaway that you are describing on eBay. Too bad they didn't do something cooler for the June 15th promotion.

BTW, supposedly the Cincinnati Reds Museum has a special Vander Meer exhibit going on right now. Has anyone had a chance to see it?
I called to offer the loan of some of my Vandy collection to enhance the exhibit, but I didn't even get a call or e-mail back. At least I tried...

If anyone has any pictures to share of the exhibit, I would appreciate it if you could post them. Thanks!

Scott Garner
06-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Hey Scott,

I thought mine was number one on your list:D

Chris,
I want your Vandy pennant as well. But....you haven't offered it up yet. :D

Mark's 1938 no-hitter pennant is right in my collecting wheelhouse though...

queencitysportscards
06-17-2013, 09:40 PM
I second that Scott! Nice collection.

Gary, your work is awesome and I saw your post on SABR today...I will give you a call this week. Get in touch with Rick Walls, Executive Director of the Reds Hall of Fame...persistence is key with the Reds HOF!

perezfan
06-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Well, unfortunately that damned pennant simply refuses to turn up. :mad:

This one must have had a very limited run, or was only sold at the game immediately afterward, or some such explanation. Regardless, it's a "rare bird".

Scott... you would definitely be my first phone call, if I ever "lucked" my way into another one. But I'm sure you'd find it first, as your search method has to be more refined than mine. When I finally run out of money (and need to start selling) I know where to turn!

Chris... If Scott has finally found one by then, it's yours ;)

jerseygary
06-17-2013, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the compliments on my art! Vander Meer was always one of my favorite players especially since he's from Jersey like me.

I got to say that pennant is aces! If I can get a good photo of it I think I will make a reproduction for myself since that's the only one I've ever seen.

Scott Garner
06-18-2013, 05:21 AM
Here are two of my personal favorite pieces related to Vandy's 1938 season:

Graig Kreindler painting of Vandy in repose- Ebbetts Field visitors dugout, 6/17/38. Graig painted this for me based on a Type I photo that I purchased in 2010.

A 1938 Type I early photo of Vandy pitching at Cincinnati's Crosley Field. I love the backdrop and clarity of this image!

mr2686
06-18-2013, 06:53 AM
Scott, the red frame is perfect for the painting. Really makes it pop.

Scott Garner
06-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Scott, the red frame is perfect for the painting. Really makes it pop.

Thanks Mike! :)

Directly
06-23-2013, 05:35 PM
thought I would share--

frankbmd
06-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Johnny pitched a no no no no. This thread needs a card. Go Johnny Go.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/frankbmd/post-war-baseball/11525/1949-vander-meer-bowman

Scott Garner
06-24-2013, 12:00 PM
Johnny Vander Meer and Ernie Lombardi vintage mini-bats, signed rookie era cards and Vander Meer game used 1938 ball...

Bumpus Jones
06-24-2013, 02:08 PM
sweeeet!

thxforthebp
06-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Posted this awhile ago but its a 1935 minor league team signed photo with a super young Vandie. I dont know of an earlier photo of him playing professionally.

Scott Garner
06-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Posted this awhile ago but its a 1935 minor league team signed photo with a super young Vandie. I dont know of an earlier photo of him playing professionally.

JD,
As you know, I LOVE that photo. Very cool indeed! :)

roarfrom34
07-03-2013, 06:29 AM
For those who are interested, the Baseball Hall of Fame's magazine "Memories & Dreams" in the their latest issue had a great article entitled "Make His A Double" about Vandy's feat which included some neat pictures and a list of his memorabilia in the Hall....