PDA

View Full Version : Old Judges at local auction are they real?

Wymers Auction
06-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Could these possibly be real? This seller has 2 Ruth signed photos which makes me question everything and nothing is authenticated. These are the best photos I have available. They have them listed as cards, but in less that is a very small frame I do not see how.
http://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103238&stc=1&d=137http://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103239&stc=http://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103241&stc=1&dhttp://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=103243&stc=1&d=1371344369=13713443691&d=13713443691344369

WillowGrove
06-15-2013, 07:10 PM
James I would say absolutely not. So many estate auctions are given these items and I think they dont realize they are selling fakes.

In this case the corners look like they were made to look that way but even more than that, it's the framing. I've seen it recently with cabinet card fakes....they are framed because, I would say, so people can't hold the cards themselves. Add in the two random autographs that happen to be of the most popular player ever and I think we're talking fakes.

My two centerinos.

Peter

Wymers Auction
06-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Thanks Pete I did not really find them promising, but I cannot match the expertise of the folks on this board when it comes to these earlier issues. I appreciate your time and yes 2 unauthenticated Ruth autos at an estate sale scared me as well.

Leon
06-15-2013, 07:14 PM
If those cards are to size with the things in the background (so it seems), each card is about 8" to 9" tall?

Wymers Auction
06-15-2013, 07:23 PM
If those cards are to size with the things in the background (so it seems), each card is about 8" to 9" tall?

Leon I agree. I am considering emailing the dimensions of a real old judge card to this auctioneer to try and help.

WillowGrove
06-15-2013, 07:35 PM
Sure James. And another thing. About a year ago I trekked up to New Hampshire for a Kalamazoo Bat card at an auction and when I got there the card was the size of a Winnebago. The few baseball guys there couldn't believe it. So the "bigger route" has been tried and wouldn't be surprised if it was being tried again.

Wymers Auction
06-15-2013, 07:36 PM
Sure James. And another thing. About a year ago I trekked up to New Hampshire for a Kalamazoo Bat card at an auction and when I got there the card was the size of a Winnebago. The few baseball guys there couldn't believe it. So the "bigger route" has been tried and wouldn't be surprised if it was being tried again.

That's funny, but I am sure you were in a rather awful mood when you saw that.

WillowGrove
06-15-2013, 07:44 PM
That's funny, but I am sure you were in a rather awful mood when you saw that.

you nailed it. 10 hours in a car round trip AND I had convinced my wife to "come with me to this one".

Leon
06-15-2013, 08:31 PM
I drove 2 hours round trip, a few weeks ago, to see a mini-Darby chocolate box. The whole thing, was intact, flattened and approximately 2 inches by 2 inches.... :eek:

1880nonsports
06-15-2013, 10:41 PM
were flooding eBay a few months+ back. I remember in late 90's and early 2000's a proliferation of native american cabinet and larger sized fakes. They were different than these as they were advanced copier fakes and these recent ones are images. Just a quick look look up close or with a loupe will reveal a very flat image. I must admit that I bought a ewing and mascot cabinet and the REA presidential heads cabinet repos for 5.00 each last year. They are the only such items in my collection (at least that I know of). I marked them as reproductions on the back - and don't display them - it's sort of a wish list :-)

Matthew H
06-16-2013, 08:11 AM

Yup, some of the best looking fake OJs I've seen online were cabinet size like this. You'd think that if they were going to take the time to make a good looking fake, they'd do the right size.

IMO, someone might have made this for display purposes. It would be hard to fool someone with cards that big. Although, since there are large GQs out there, maybe there are unknown large Old Judge :rolleyes:

oldjudge
06-16-2013, 09:08 AM
For what it's worth there actually are some large Gypsy Queen size Old Judge actress cards--no baseball, to the best of my knowledge, however.

Matthew H
06-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Thats interesting Jay, do they have a similar ad and copyright layout? I searched and found an old thread you started on this subject, but the scans were gone.