PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Vintage Pennant Price Guide Available. Also for Kindle, iPad, Etc in 100% Color

lefty147
06-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Just wanted to let everybody know I finally have the 2013 Vintage Pennant Price guide ready to ship. Cost at this time is 19.99 + 4.00 shipping. I have already sent off books to many of you who had previously indicated you wanted a copy. So far there has been very positive feedback on the project. If you are happy with it please pass the word to others who might be interested. If anybody else would like a copy please email me at mike@vintagesportsshoppe.com or visit www.vintagesportsshoppe.com . You can also just paypal to my email address.
I also wanted to let you know the Pennant Price Guide is now available in 100% color for Kindle Color Kindle Edition (http://payhip.com/b/2sW1) .
Also it is available in 100% color for iPad and iPhone and Android etc Epub Edition (http://payhip.com/b/g9oz) (download E-Reader if needed). You can also just have it on your desktop or laptop in color. Please read the additional notes before downloading the ePub. There is a 25% discount for each of these for sharing on Facebook. If you have problems with the download please let me know. Thanks to everybody who has helped in this project, especially Mark (perezfan) and Mike (mjkm90). Thanks, Mike

KrenBats
06-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Got my guide this week. A tremendous resource. Thanks again for putting this together.

springpin
06-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Your book is terrific! It has a very invitational quality to it. I do not collect pennants, but after reading your book, I have a much better understanding of them. The hobby owes you a debt of gratitude. That is the good news. The bad news is you can now expect "experts" to emerge who state they could have "helped" you with your book. Aside from mis-attributed items, incorrect ratings of scarcity, and over-inflated prices for the obvious reason of increasing the value of your collection when you go to sell it, your book is OK. And the correspondence from these experts will contain enough typos to convince you of their legitimacy and authority.

Splendid book. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Do you own all or most of the pennants in your book? If so, you have a magnificent collection.

Paul

thecatspajamas
06-15-2013, 08:25 PM
Picked up the ePub edition of the guide, and it is worth every penny for the added luxury of color photos of all the pennants (and my already-over-stuffed reference shelf thanks you for making a digital version available as well) :) An excellent guide that really makes me want to delve into pennants more. Well done!

gnaz01
06-16-2013, 05:51 AM
Picked up the ePub edition of the guide, and it is worth every penny for the added luxury of color photos of all the pennants (and my already-over-stuffed reference shelf thanks you for making a digital version available as well) :) An excellent guide that really makes me want to delve into pennants more. Well done!

1000% agree with Lance! I got the ePub version last night as well and am LOVING it!! Thanks Mike for an awesome piece of work!!

Lordstan
06-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Yeah, but if you download the ebook, you don't get a cool inscription from the author!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/lordstan/Lou/PennantBook.jpg

lefty147
06-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Your book is terrific! It has a very invitational quality to it. I do not collect pennants, but after reading your book, I have a much better understanding of them. The hobby owes you a debt of gratitude. That is the good news. The bad news is you can now expect "experts" to emerge who state they could have "helped" you with your book. Aside from mis-attributed items, incorrect ratings of scarcity, and over-inflated prices for the obvious reason of increasing the value of your collection when you go to sell it, your book is OK. And the correspondence from these experts will contain enough typos to convince you of their legitimacy and authority.

Splendid book. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Do you own all or most of the pennants in your book? If so, you have a magnificent collection.

Paul

Hi Paul, I appreciate the good news. As far as the bad news goes, I think I got help from true "experts" who have been collecting for many years and know what they are talking about. Of course you can always debate a price or how rare something is perceived to be. There were a couple of other "experts" who contributed a ton who do not post here so I didn't really want to post names but they are acknowledged in the book. I don't think I have to worry about being accused of doing it to increase the value of my collection because I don't really have one. I have more college pennants than baseball or football. I probably own less than 1% of what is in the book. The majority that I own are under 75.00. To me it is more of a reference guide. The prices are nice to have but they are always changing. Mike

cpbronco
06-16-2013, 05:03 PM
I received my pennant guide a week ago and haven't put it down. Lots of great information especially for someone like myself that is a relatively new pennant collector. Definitely a great resource for any collector and worth every penny. Thank you Mike for putting the book together.

P.S. I own a few old Angels pennants (PCL & MLB) that weren't in the book. I'll pass along some photos soon for whenever the next edition comes out.

springpin
06-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Mike,

What is your opinion on this question. It involves the term used to describe a pennant. In your book you showed a pennant of the 1956 NL Champions Milwaukee Braves. You called the pennant a "fantasy." If someone today made a pennant of the Colt .45s that was the same as an original issued in 1962, I presume you would call it a "reproduction." But what if the pennant was not a reproduction of an older pennant, simply one that never previously existed at all. What would you call it? A "fake?" To make "fake" implies an intent to deceive. I would call such a pennant a "fantasy," meaning it never existed in the era depicted. As to what I would call the 1956 Braves pennant, I would probably call it something like "wishful thinking." I have seen a 1951 Dodger WS ticket referred to as a "fantasy" but such a label seems harsh to me. The event (the Dodgers being in the 1951 WS) was a fantasy, but the ticket is "real."

I have wrestled with this label issue in describing pins. In pennants, what is your definition of a "fantasy?"

Paul

lefty147
06-16-2013, 08:13 PM
Mike,

What is your opinion on this question. It involves the term used to describe a pennant. In your book you showed a pennant of the 1956 NL Champions Milwaukee Braves. You called the pennant a "fantasy." If someone today made a pennant of the Colt .45s that was the same as an original issued in 1962, I presume you would call it a "reproduction." But what if the pennant was not a reproduction of an older pennant, simply one that never previously existed at all. What would you call it? A "fake?" To make "fake" implies an intent to deceive. I would call such a pennant a "fantasy," meaning it never existed in the era depicted. As to what I would call the 1956 Braves pennant, I would probably call it something like "wishful thinking." I have seen a 1951 Dodger WS ticket referred to as a "fantasy" but such a label seems harsh to me. The event (the Dodgers being in the 1951 WS) was a fantasy, but the ticket is "real."

I have wrestled with this label issue in describing pins. In pennants, what is your definition of a "fantasy?"

Paul
Hi Paul, To answer your questions one at a time:

"In your book you showed a pennant of the 1956 NL Champions Milwaukee Braves. You called the pennant a "fantasy"."

I think you are mistaken. When I look at my copy it has phantom, not fantasy. Has the same meaning to me as phantom world series tickets.

"If someone today made a pennant of the Colt .45s that was the same as an original issued in 1962, I presume you would call it a "reproduction."

Yes I would call it a repro just like the Mitchell & Ness ones.

"But what if the pennant was not a reproduction of an older pennant, simply one that never previously existed at all. What would you call it? A "fake?" To make "fake" implies an intent to deceive. I would call such a pennant a "fantasy," meaning it never existed in the era depicted"

I'm not really sure what you are asking on this one. Mike

springpin
06-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Mike,

Sorry if I misremembered the term. I was writing from the memory of reading the ebook last night. Phantom makes perfect sense.

My other question pertains to what you would call an item that is not vintage but portrays something from the past, e.g., a recently made Colt .45 item. I see "new" (recently made) pins of Mantle fairly often. I call them fantasies. Would you use the same term for a pennant?

lefty147
06-17-2013, 08:28 AM
Mike,

Sorry if I misremembered the term. I was writing from the memory of reading the ebook last night. Phantom makes perfect sense.

My other question pertains to what you would call an item that is not vintage but portrays something from the past, e.g., a recently made Colt .45 item. I see "new" (recently made) pins of Mantle fairly often. I call them fantasies. Would you use the same term for a pennant?

I think reproduction would suffice but don't see a huge difference in either wording. Mike