PDA

View Full Version : Keith Olbermann's 3 favorite t206 cards

GregMitch34
06-14-2013, 08:10 PM
I've known Keith a little bit for the past decade, as I was on his MSNBC and then Current shows numerous times. Occasionally we got to talk a little about cards in the green room etc. Tonight on Twitter I asked him what his three favorite t206 cards were--based purely on aesthetics. At leas two of his choices surprised me. Care to guess what he might have chosen, knowing a bit about his collecting? Then I'll post his three picks.

TUM301
06-14-2013, 08:24 PM
going out on a limb, I`m guessing three lefties .

Cardboard Junkie
06-14-2013, 08:31 PM
I'm guessing three cards that, "doesn't look trimmed to me":DDave.

Big Ben
06-14-2013, 08:31 PM
Just looked it up on Twitter so I won't ruin it. Personally, my favorite T 206 based on aesthetics is the Lajoie bat on shoulder.

JasonL
06-14-2013, 08:33 PM
I dont know anything about his collecting...
How about Beals Becker, Dummy Taylor and Tinker Bat on?

NewEnglandBaseBallist
06-14-2013, 08:42 PM
I'd be shocked if Fred Merkle isn't one of the three.

Gradedcardman
06-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Merkle, Wagner and Doyle

Craig M
06-14-2013, 08:47 PM
Well for starters, Mr. Olbermann is the man because he is a T206 guy.

I would say his first favorite card is his Schulte (Chicago).

Second would be his Eddie Collins (batting) pose card.

Thirdly, I would say the Doyle (hands Above Head) NY Nat'l card.

Interesting, because these are also my favorite three.

Craig

Bored5000
06-14-2013, 08:49 PM
I will say Matty portrait as one of them because I remember an Olbermann column painstakingly analysing Mathewson pitching footage discovered in recent years. Olbermann also had gave time on his show to Eddie Frierson, who frequently stages a one-man play about Mathewson's life at venues all over the country.

GregMitch34
06-14-2013, 09:05 PM
So far one correct pick.

glchen
06-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Honus Wagner, Cobb Green Portrait, Wojo Portrait

alanu
06-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Wagner, Merkle, Green Cobb

Cardboard Junkie
06-14-2013, 10:40 PM
:)No intention to hijack this thread but isn't Olberman the guy who said the psa8 Wags"didn't look trimmed."?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CvAzd3wIDQ:)Dave

I would vote wojo portrait, Cobb red, waddell port.

Iron Horse
06-14-2013, 11:24 PM
Green Cobb, Lajoie portrait, Wagner

sbfinley
06-15-2013, 12:35 AM
Merkle throwing, Matty port, Rebel Oakes

h2oya311
06-15-2013, 12:55 AM
I'm going to say Merkle, Wajo portrait, and John Titus (b/c he's envious of that sweet 'stache).

Jacklitsch
06-15-2013, 06:43 AM
I'll go with Mattern, Shag and Collins batting.

bn2cardz
06-15-2013, 08:36 AM
Who cares which cards he likes? He is a man short of any logic at all, so what that he owns a Wagner t206. He can't even tell when one is trimmed. He may not even be able to tell that Burns glove is backwards and may think Dunn is a horizontal. For all I know he thinks the Shannon is the best looking t206.

I don't really like that such a hate-filled man is one of the main stream faces of our loved hobby.

ullmandds
06-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Nice andy!

GregMitch34
06-15-2013, 08:52 AM
Okay, here are Keith's 3 favorites as told to me:

Matty dark cap
Paskert
Oakes

Paskert and Oakes not even in my top 100. Yours?

t206blogcom
06-15-2013, 08:59 AM
Paskert and Oakes not even in my top 100. Yours?

Not even close! Strange choices in my opinion.

nolemmings
06-15-2013, 09:02 AM
I don't really like that such a hate-filled man is one of the main stream faces of our loved hobby.

I couldn't disagree more.

VoodooChild
06-15-2013, 09:26 AM
Oakes was the first T206 card I bought and is responsible for starting my addiction, oops I mean collection. I thought the composition was cool, but it is by no means one of the best looking T206's. Now, if we were talking about the Oakes E90-1, that would be a different story.

-Jason

Iron Horse
06-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Perhaps one might want to ask him as to why he feels that way about the Oakes & Paskert?
Maybe there is a reason

queencitysportscards
06-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Wow...interesting! I have to admit, I also like the Paskert and Oakes, but I like anything Cincinnati!!

Runscott
06-15-2013, 09:39 AM
No offense to the OP, but the only thing I care about in terms of Olberman's opinion, is that the mute button is squelching it in case I accidentally surf past him on the television.

quinnsryche
06-15-2013, 09:50 AM
Honus Wagner, Cobb Green Portrait, Wojo Portrait

These would be my 3 choices. I don't know what he sees in the 3 he picked. Perfect example of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" I guess.

abothebear
06-15-2013, 10:39 AM
If I could photoshop I'd put glasses on Paskert and then do a side by side with an Olberman shot. And caption it something like, "now I see why he likes the Paskert so much."

People with photoshop skills get to have all the fun.

Zach Wheat
06-15-2013, 10:46 AM
You would think at least 1 of his proofs would be in the top 3.

wolf441
06-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Great, I'm trying to complete a Paskert back run and it's one of his favorites. He's probably the reason that the Tolstoi went for $300.00 in the last Sterling auction. Damn you Olbermann, damn you!!

Just kidding guys :D

Well, not really...

oldjudge
06-15-2013, 10:58 AM
Keith is one of the most knowledgeable, passionate collectors I know. He has no trouble separating politics from baseball cards; perhaps you should act in the same manner.

Proudly submitted by Jay Miller

BradH
06-15-2013, 11:17 AM
...I don't really like that such a hate-filled man is one of the main stream faces of our loved hobby.

As noted by a few others, I couldn't disagree more. Keith is not what you describe and he probably knows more about this hobby - especially when it comes to tobacco cards and vintage Topps issues - than most of the rest of us combined. I may not agree with all of his political views, but I also don't agree with all my wife's views or my Dad's views, etc, but so what! We're talking about baseball cards. It kills me when people turn off their ears and minds to potential knowledge about a topic - or a hobby in this case - just because they dislike a person (a person they've likely never met) or because they have different poilitcal views.

...so what that he owns a Wagner t206....

BTW - he doesn't own "a Wagner" - he owns three. Actually, I believe it's now just two because he recently sold one so that he could donate a large sum of money to an institution that is near and dear to his heart.

Cardboard Junkie
06-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Keith is one of the most knowledgeable, passionate collectors I know. He has no trouble separating politics from baseball cards; perhaps you should act in the same manner.

Perhaps your full name needs to be in your posts if you are going to give your opinion of a person or company.

barrysloate
06-15-2013, 11:37 AM
Everyone please chill out and stick to baseball cards. Thank you. I was enjoying this thread until the politics started.

oldjudge
06-15-2013, 12:08 PM
Name added to post

Theoldprofessor
06-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Dougherty portrait
Cobb green
Lobert

brian1961
06-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Ty Cobb - Green

Ed Walsh

Addie Joss - portrait

Christy Mathewson - dark cap

--Brian Powell

Gradedcardman
06-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Bradley Portrait
Magee Portrait
Schlei Portrait

Bored5000
06-15-2013, 01:46 PM
Everyone please chill out and stick to baseball cards. Thank you. I was enjoying this thread until the politics started.

Agree with this. If Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity weighs in with their favorite T206s, I think it would be just as interesting. I don't get turning a thread that isn't political in the least into a thread to preach political views.

bxb
06-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Why does anybody really care what he thinks.

David R
06-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Why does anybody really care what he thinks.

+1 I don't really care about his politics or what t206 cards he likes best.

foxxfan
06-15-2013, 06:43 PM
Even within the Reds team I'd go with Lobert, Karger or Griffith (portrait) before these two:

Jeff

Runscott
06-15-2013, 08:51 PM
+1 I don't really care about his politics or what t206 cards he likes best.

I certainly agree with the second clause.

I think what some are missing is that if you have very little respect for someone, and they are a public figure, then you probably aren't going to give a shlt about their other views either, especially when it has to do with a hobby that you enjoy. To those of you who disagree with my statement - that's certainly your right, but it isn't going to change my thinking.

Big Ben
06-15-2013, 09:07 PM
I like Keith and I think he is very good for the hobby. That being said, I disagree with his choices for aesthetic T206 cards. No big deal, I am sure people will disagree with my choices. The selections that people have made so far make for an interesting thread.

My selections:

1. Lajoie Bat on shoulder
2. Engle
3. Brownsfield
3B. McIntire

frankbmd
06-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Does anyone know the favorite cards of Mother Teresa, Justin Bieber or Vanna White?

I'm obfuscated by the relevance of this thread.

BengoughingForAwhile
06-15-2013, 09:25 PM
Does anyone know the favorite cards of Mother Teresa, Justin Bieber or Vanna White?

If anyone of those people owned two (or three) Wagners I might be interested. :)

wolf441
06-15-2013, 09:57 PM

Mother Teresa = Sleepy Bill Burns
Justin Bieber = Chick Gandil
Vanna White = Hal Chase (Trophy)

They all like the bad boys. :D

I'm just happy to see a post with the word "obfuscated" in it. Touche' Frank!!

Cardboard Junkie
06-15-2013, 10:25 PM

I'm pretty sure they all like Johnson.:)Dave

Craig M
06-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Frank,

If your name would have been imposed where Keity Olbermann's name was; I would still be interested in your selections as I find it interesting in the way that certain people think.

Now if my name would have been imposed where Keith Olbermann's name was, the thread would have taken a nose dive in the first few minutes of it being posted.

I just hope Greg post the answers fairly quickly so this thread doesn't get too out of control.

Craig

SushiX37
06-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Who cares which cards he likes? He is a man short of any logic at all, so what that he owns a Wagner t206. He can't even tell when one is trimmed. He may not even be able to tell that Burns glove is backwards and may think Dunn is a horizontal. For all I know he thinks the Shannon is the best looking t206.

Why does every thread have to take a negative turn?? It was a nice civil discussion until this occurred.

Rich

Mikehealer
06-15-2013, 10:47 PM
My selections:

1. Lajoie Bat on shoulder
2. Engle
3. Brownsfield
3B. McIntire

Who is Brownsfield?

bobbvc
06-15-2013, 10:57 PM

2 facts surrounded by 4 baseless accusations followed by 1 biased opinion, disguised as fact. Someone understands how Fox News works!

teetwoohsix
06-15-2013, 10:59 PM
You would think at least 1 of his proofs would be in the top 3.

I was thinking this myself, or, what would my top three favorite T206's be in Keith Olbermann's collection; and my answer would be "any of the proofs" :D

Sincerely, Clayton

bobbvc
06-15-2013, 11:04 PM
My Favs-
Lobert
Schlei-fielding
Waddell-throwing

Julz24
06-15-2013, 11:44 PM
I'm unable to post an opinion at this time due to forum regulations, but on a side note,

i like pie.

Cardboard Junkie
06-15-2013, 11:51 PM
I'm unable to post an opinion at this time due to forum regulations, but on a side note,

i like pie.

Traynor's in the t206?

DerekMichael
06-16-2013, 01:26 AM
my top 3 ( i think! ) ...

cobb ... bat off

lajoie ... bat

pattee horizontal ... my favorite background in the entire set!

Rickyy
06-16-2013, 02:20 AM
I could careless about his political views...this to me was simply a fun thread in my view....oh well that's just me.... Btw...What's Glenn Beck's favorite card? Glenn Beckert? If it is..that'll be cool.

Ricky Y

kcohen
06-16-2013, 06:32 AM
2 facts surrounded by 4 baseless accusations followed by 1 biased opinion, disguised as fact. Someone understands how Fox News works!

Ah, the old gratuitous Fox News cheap shot. Most folks with anything of value to say and not totally devoid of critical thinking skills can do better than that.

glynparson
06-16-2013, 07:01 AM
Must be a fan of the fair and balanced network. For the record if Mr. Limbaugh collected cards and had the knowledge and experience in the hobby of Mr. Olbermann I'd care about his card positions. Not being able to separate the two is silly. I can watch Frasier and laugh hysterically but find Kelsey Grammer's politics to be distasteful. If you are unable to do such things you are only short changing yourself.

wolf441
06-16-2013, 07:18 AM
my top 3 ( i think! ) ...

cobb ... bat off

lajoie ... bat

pattee horizontal ... my favorite background in the entire set!

+100 Derek, Pattee is my favorite card in the set and has been for about 30 years. I love the background on that card!!!

Big Ben
06-16-2013, 08:11 AM
Who is Brownsfield?

Sorry.. I meant Kitty Bransfield. This is what I get for multi-tasking during the hockey game last night!

Big Ben
06-16-2013, 08:13 AM
Must be a fan of the fair and balanced network. For the record if Mr. Limbaugh collected cards and had the knowledge and experience in the hobby of Mr. Olbermann I'd care about his card positions. Not being able to separate the two is silly. I can watch Frasier and laugh hysterically but find Kelsey Grammer's politics to be distasteful. If you are unable to do such things you are only short changing yourself.

+1

slidekellyslide
06-16-2013, 08:21 AM
I remember Rush Limbaugh on ESPN...it was difficult for me to even listen to him without being repulsed so I understand how some of the conservatives in our forum may feel about Keith Olbermann, but I think skipping the thread is a better choice than stirring the pot, so let's all keep the politics out of it.

barrysloate
06-16-2013, 08:25 AM
I really hate the "us vs. them" mentality. Conservatives blame liberals, and liberals blame conservatives for all of our problem. It's America folks, and we all have to find a way out of this mess together. And you can look at Keith's cards without politics even being a factor.

steve B
06-16-2013, 08:36 AM
I really hate the "us vs. them" mentality. Conservatives blame liberals, and liberals blame conservatives for all of our problem. It's America folks, and we all have to find a way out of this mess together. And you can look at Keith's cards without politics even being a factor.

Now that's what we need more of. Thanks Barry:D

Steve B

Leon
06-16-2013, 08:55 AM
His favorite 3 T206- maybe- Merkle, Collins (proof) and Wags.....

It would be fun if he would come on and tell us. He has posted on our forum and is a member....

Merkle923
06-16-2013, 09:13 AM
Somebody JUST asked me a variant of this question on twitter - top three t206 just for aesthetics.

1. Rebel Oakes
2. Dode Paskert
3. Mathewson (black cap)

The three overall favorites? If you have a Wagner and don't say "Wagner" it should be taken from you.

1. Wagner
2. Meek (minor league proof)
3. Mathewson (black cap - first name t206 I ever got, about age 12)

Happy Father's Day...

ko

Merkle923
06-16-2013, 09:22 AM
Should've realized it was too much of a coincidence for Greg to have asked AND this thread to have started separately. Sorry!

And aesthetics are clearly in the eye of the beholder.

Leon
06-16-2013, 09:25 AM
Somebody JUST asked me a variant of this question on twitter - top three t206 just for aesthetics.

1. Rebel Oakes
2. Dode Paskert
3. Mathewson (black cap)

The three overall favorites? If you have a Wagner and don't say "Wagner" it should be taken from you.

1. Wagner
2. Meek (minor league proof)
3. Mathewson (black cap - first name t206 I ever got, about age 12)

Happy Father's Day...

ko

Thanks Keith....I got one of three correct. I am sort of surprised the Collins proof wasn't one, or the Merkle (hence your id's)......take care and Happy Fathers Day back to you!!

Merkle923
06-16-2013, 09:33 AM
My grandfather - who said he saw Mathewson pitch - explained his legend to me long before I understood the Merkle saga. Plus there's something iconic about that image (the black cap version). Cards issued the season after the Merkle play now carry a certain grimness for me.

As to the Collins proof it's a great card and I'm fortunate to have it. But I'm convinced they pulled it because it looks like he's melting. It's almost as bad as Spike Shannon.

kcohen
06-16-2013, 09:36 AM
So tough to single out only three. Guess I'd go with

Lajoie w/bat
Joss pitching
George Davis

Guess I'm a sucker for green foregrounds and orange skies.

Leon
06-16-2013, 09:40 AM
As to the Collins proof it's a great card and I'm fortunate to have it. But I'm convinced they pulled it because it looks like he's melting. It's almost as bad as Spike Shannon.

LOL....looks like he's melting. For some reason I am getting a flashback to Apocalypse Now, but I digress. Thanks again for being a good sport and chiming in. (and I am partial to Matty white cap, myself)

barrysloate
06-16-2013, 09:45 AM
Hi Keith- I was thinking at least one of those proofs had to be among your favorites. They are so amazing!

Iron Horse
06-16-2013, 10:04 AM
Any pics to share of the proof/s?
I watched you on CBS 2 in Los Angeles when you had a late night show i believe 10 and bring cards to show and talk. It was great and i wish we had something like that today.
Nice to see you follow these forums :)

Merkle923
06-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Here's Art Martineau's website and the page with all the proofs illustrated: http://t206resource.com/Olbermann%20Proofs.html

wolf441
06-16-2013, 10:24 AM
Here's Art Martineau's website and the page with all the proofs illustrated: http://t206resource.com/Olbermann%20Proofs.html

Thanks for posting! I love the Joe Pepe proof, that is a great looking card. It almost has an Obak feel to it with the fielding pose and the colors used.

CW
06-16-2013, 11:21 AM
I can see why a few lists would include the Pattee. Cool pose, great background, and it's a horizontal. Definitely my favorite non-HOFer in the series...

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/cw2112/cool-cardboard/8920/1909-11-t206-harry-pattee

I'd round out my trio with Lajoie batting and Mr. Cobb holding a piece of lumber (a card that I still need to acquire someday).

oldjudge
06-16-2013, 11:35 AM
All the talk of T206 proofs makes me think of the proofs available for the Old Judge set. While most photographer's proofs that have been found were of poses that appeared in the set as N172s and/or N173s, there are a small number that picture poses that either never appeared in the set, or if they did have yet to be discovered. In only one case can I think of a case of a proof of a player who did not make it into the set, that of Geoge Toffling. This story is detailed in the Old Judge book. I have provided an image of an "unissued proof" of Jake Wells, one of the scarcest players in the set, below:

GregMitch34
06-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Amazes me how many people here seem unaware of Olbermann's long collecting--and writing about it--going back decades and before hardly anyone else cared. So his picks, especially since somewhat surprising, should have a little extra interest.

Runscott
06-16-2013, 12:22 PM

True, but that's different from giving a flip what his three favorites are, just because he's Keith Olberman. I would be much more interested in what YOUR three favorite cards are, as you are a contributing board member, as opposed to a celebrity.

MVSNYC
06-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Keith- I love your proofs, I remember when they came to auction, Leland's I believe, 1999-ish? As you probably know, there's tons of T206 collectors here, myself included. Would be great to see you posting here more often.

Best-
Michael Sarno

barrysloate
06-16-2013, 01:15 PM
True, but that's different from giving a flip what his three favorites are, just because he's Keith Olberman. I would be much more interested in what YOUR three favorite cards are, as you are a contributing board member, as opposed to a celebrity.

I don't know if I have three favorites, although I do like the Johnson portrait. But thanks for inquiring.:)

slidekellyslide
06-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Amazes me how many people here seem unaware of Olbermann's long collecting--and writing about it--going back decades and before hardly anyone else cared. So his picks, especially since somewhat surprising, should have a little extra interest.

They are. I'm not sure why people complain about threads they don't like when it's much easier to skip it than take the time to rant about it.

Jay Wolt
06-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Besides contributing to the hobby magazines of the 70's & 80's didn't Keith write the bio's on the '75 SSPC and/or '81 Donruss cards?
Keith has an awesome collection and I'm glad he's posting here.

Orioles1954
06-16-2013, 03:31 PM

Ever since he called a person I admire greatly as one "of the worst people in the world", I tend to frown when I think of Keith O. Putting that all aside, I agree. I care what I think are the three prettiest T206 cards. I have eyes that appreciate, why should I put any more stock in the subjective opinions of a hobby veteran than my own?

steve B
06-16-2013, 03:31 PM
I can see why a few lists would include the Pattee. Cool pose, great background, and it's a horizontal. Definitely my favorite non-HOFer in the series...

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images/show/cw2112/cool-cardboard/8920/1909-11-t206-harry-pattee

I'd round out my trio with Lajoie batting and Mr. Cobb holding a piece of lumber (a card that I still need to acquire someday).

How did you get that background to the scan? Even if it's photoshop, that's really cool.

Steve B

Republicaninmass
06-16-2013, 03:41 PM

My thoughts exactly Greg. Thanks for posting Keith, and Happy Father's day to all!

Iron Horse
06-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Thank you for posting the link to the proofs. Great read, and card/s

ullmandds
06-16-2013, 05:05 PM
I really like that Pepe proof...way cool!!!!

novakjr
06-16-2013, 05:20 PM
Ever since he called a person I admire greatly as one "of the worst people in the world", I tend to frown when I think of Keith O. Putting that all aside, I agree. I care what I think are the three prettiest T206 cards. I have eyes that appreciate, why should I put any more stock in the subjective opinions of a hobby veteran than my own?

Personally, I feel the same about KO in regards to politics. BUT we also have to remember some of the seemingly hateful speech and who it is directed towards is often (to an extent) an act. Maybe not the core of the opinions, but the overblown statements often made in regards to them. I feel the same about Rush too. I don't agree with what or how things are said with him either, but we have to remember that what they do IS a form of entertainment, and as entertainers, they may go to extremes from time to time, to cater towards their audience.. I'd never hold anything said, by these PERFORMERS against them..

Accepting that, I respect the entertainment factor of these types of threads. The point isn't that we're supposed to put any more merit towards the celebrity opinions. But it's always nice to hear what anyone's thought are, and his celebrity status(combined with his hobby status) is meant to draw more attention to the topic, to springboard even more of us into sharing our own opinions on the subject, as opposed to spinning into a full fledged political war.

Now having said that. Thank you Keith, for taking the time to share with us. It is appreciated..

SushiX37
06-16-2013, 07:21 PM
So am I the only fanboy that is stoked out of his mind that KO just posted here?? Wow! How awesome!!

Rich

Orioles1954
06-16-2013, 07:42 PM
Personally, I feel the same about KO in regards to politics. BUT we also have to remember some of the seemingly hateful speech and who it is directed towards is often (to an extent) an act. Maybe not the core of the opinions, but the overblown statements often made in regards to them. I feel the same about Rush too. I don't agree with what or how things are said with him either, but we have to remember that what they do IS a form of entertainment, and as entertainers, they may go to extremes from time to time, to cater towards their audience.. I'd never hold anything said, by these PERFORMERS against them..

Accepting that, I respect the entertainment factor of these types of threads. The point isn't that we're supposed to put any more merit towards the celebrity opinions. But it's always nice to hear what anyone's thought are, and his celebrity status(combined with his hobby status) is meant to draw more attention to the topic, to springboard even more of us into sharing our own opinions on the subject, as opposed to spinning into a full fledged political war.

Now having said that. Thank you Keith, for taking the time to share with us. It is appreciated..

Very well stated. Thank you.

Craig M
06-16-2013, 07:51 PM
You think that is fantastic, just wait until he shows up next time and post a pic of his T206 uncut sheet that he has in his collection!

I sure hope it's soon:)

SushiX37
06-16-2013, 07:57 PM
I'd just love a chance just to sit down and see his collection and listen to him talk about it. One collector to another. That'd be amazing.

Rich

Iron Horse
06-16-2013, 08:09 PM
+1
well said Rich :D

CW
06-16-2013, 08:42 PM
How did you get that background to the scan? Even if it's photoshop, that's really cool.

Steve B

Thanks! Yep, just photoshop and a little artistic license, so to speak. :)

Big Ben
06-16-2013, 08:50 PM
I'd just love a chance just to sit down and see his collection and listen to him talk about it. One collector to another. That'd be amazing.

Rich

+1 I also like his Baseball Nerd blog.

Jlighter
06-16-2013, 08:59 PM
+1 I also like his Baseball Nerd blog.

I too enjoy the blog. Also enjoy the guy who always writes the same comment saying Mr. Olbermann "is this generations Murrow".

And when I say always, I mean ALWAY'S.:)

sbfinley
06-16-2013, 09:33 PM

Rich

This.

Sean
06-16-2013, 11:59 PM
My grandfather - who said he saw Mathewson pitch - explained his legend to me long before I understood the Merkle saga. Plus there's something iconic about that image (the black cap version). Cards issued the season after the Merkle play now carry a certain grimness for me.

Keith, I loved the show, even if I didn't always agree with you. I'm glad to hear that you'll be doing a studio show during the playoffs. I hope that you'll post some more about the T206 set.

See you at the national. :D

Rickyy
06-17-2013, 12:27 AM
Very cool answers by Keith...enjoyed the read!

Ricky Y

Leon
06-17-2013, 06:29 AM
Guys- I have known Keith a little bit through this board and my little auction house. I had emailed him and asked if he would comment on this thread and he obliged. For folks to come on and give their views of him politically, or any other way than the hobby, is something I would have hoped wouldn't have happened. I know Keith has very thick skin so it's not a big deal. I doubt I agree with him politically too, but that isn't what this thread or board is about. Keith is a true collector and one of us. I hope members would treat him as one of our family when he is here. Thanks again to him for chiming in and may he be blessed with a card he needs for doing it.

SushiX37
06-17-2013, 06:33 AM
Guys- I have known Keith a little bit through this board and my little auction house. I had emailed him and asked if he would comment on this thread and he obliged. For folks to come on and give their views of him politically, or any other way than the hobby, is something I would have hoped wouldn't have happened. I know Keith has very thick skin so it's not a big deal. I doubt I agree with him politically too, but that isn't what this thread or board is about. Keith is a true collector and one of us. I hope members would treat him as one of our family when he is here. Thanks again to him for chiming in and may he be blessed with a card he needs for doing it.

Well said.

Rich

steve B
06-17-2013, 07:03 AM
Now that we know which three, personally I'd like to know why. That's the part I find most interesting.

I like his choices. Whenever someone picks the non-obvious or non-standard stuff I just know there's been some thought behind it. Going with the Wagner, Cobbs, etc is cool, but picking what most people would think of as somewhat nondescript commons is interesting.

I'm partial to all the ones with the more elaborate backgrounds especially the sunsets. If I could pick only three, I think I'd go with
Conroy with bat- Just a great composition, and a hint of sunset.
Ewing- Another one that to me just works well as a picture.
And Jennings. Either one. Getting the exuberance is tough in a photo, crossing it from a photo to a bit of commercial illustration is tougher. And especially with the two hands showing I think whoever did it really got it right.

Steve B

Big Ben
06-17-2013, 08:40 AM
Now that we know which three, personally I'd like to know why. That's the part I find most interesting.

I asked KO the same question via Twitter and did not get a response. No big deal as I am sure that he gets quit a few Tweets to his account. Personally, I like the T206's where the players have different poses than what you see with most cards in the set. That is what attracted me to the Clyde Engle card.

maniac_73
06-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Very cool for KO to come on here to share his thoughts as his collection is epic!

g_vezina_c55
06-17-2013, 10:06 AM
but that isn't what this thread or board is about. Keith is a true collector and one of us. I hope members would treat him as one of our family when he is here. Thanks again to him for chiming in and may he be blessed with a card he needs for doing it.

well said.

queencitysportscards
06-17-2013, 01:11 PM
One of the first cards we sold online when we opened the shop was to KO. I respect his knowledge and insight about the hobby. No matter what our political views, religion, or opinions we all have one thing in common on this board...we love to collect sports cards...and to me, anyone else who shares this passion is considered a friend in my book.

Happy Collecting!

Sean
06-17-2013, 01:12 PM
One of the first cards we sold online when we opened the shop was to KO. I respect his knowledge and insight about the hobby. No matter what our political views, religion, or opinions we all have one thing in common on this board...we love to collect sports cards...and to me, anyone else who shares this passion is considered a friend in my book.

Happy Collecting!

+1

wonkaticket
06-17-2013, 01:27 PM
The three overall favorites? If you have a Wagner and don't say "Wagner" it should be taken from you. ko

Just glanced over this and thought the above was very funny.

E93
06-17-2013, 02:30 PM

Proudly submitted by Jay Miller

+1

Thanks Jay.
JimB