PDA

View Full Version : Still a few good guys left. Josh Donaldson. Great quote on signing for kids..

novakjr
06-13-2013, 06:27 PM
It's seems almost everyday we hear stories of some idiot not signing for kids, or lines a mile long for guys like Jeter, only to be ignored. BUT every once in a while we do hear some great stories about some great young players... I stumbled across this nice article on Josh Donaldson.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/athletics/article/A-s-Donaldson-takes-nothing-for-granted-4544891.php?t=be71c5f9fc3d4cb4da

The guy's got a great story. In case you don't read it, I'll quote the part pertaining to autographs and kids..

"Donaldson also always has time for young fans; a parent with a special-needs child recently remarked how good Donaldson had been with his son, making a special trip over to the stands to say hello.

That also was instilled by his mother.

"Once a year, we would go see the Braves play, but one time when Josh was about 10, he waited by the tunnel for 2 1/2 hours for an autograph, and no one signed one for him," French said. "He said, 'I hate the Braves,' and he was so disappointed, we never went back. I told him, 'You always remember that. If you ever are in that situation, don't you ever deny a child an autograph.' "

HOF Auto Rookies
06-14-2013, 09:16 AM
It's seems almost everyday we hear stories of some idiot not signing for kids, or lines a mile long for guys like Jeter, only to be ignored. BUT every once in a while we do hear some great stories about some great young players... I stumbled across this nice article on Josh Donaldson.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/athletics/article/A-s-Donaldson-takes-nothing-for-granted-4544891.php?t=be71c5f9fc3d4cb4da

The guy's got a great story. In case you don't read it, I'll quote the part pertaining to autographs and kids..

"Donaldson also always has time for young fans; a parent with a special-needs child recently remarked how good Donaldson had been with his son, making a special trip over to the stands to say hello.

That also was instilled by his mother.

"Once a year, we would go see the Braves play, but one time when Josh was about 10, he waited by the tunnel for 2 1/2 hours for an autograph, and no one signed one for him," French said. "He said, 'I hate the Braves,' and he was so disappointed, we never went back. I told him, 'You always remember that. If you ever are in that situation, don't you ever deny a child an autograph.' "

Awesome article, I have met Josh a few times and he truly is a class act, he just enjoys being and fans and signings autographs and talking with everyone. Casey Fein for the Twins is just like that. He was giving fans hugs, and taking pictures, it was awesome. Josh Hamilton is truly great as well, and jokes with everyone.

novakjr
06-14-2013, 10:04 AM
It also makes me wonder if the current trend of players not signing and holding out for the money, is a bi-product of the older generation signing for everyone and then running into money problems later in life. And could the current trend result in more experiences like Donaldson's, and a future generation of players who appreciate and find time for the fans?

HOF Auto Rookies
06-14-2013, 10:07 AM
It also makes me wonder if the current trend of players not signing and holding out for the money, is a bi-product of the older generation signing for everyone and then running into money problems later in life. And could the current trend result in more experiences like Donaldson's, and a future generation of players who appreciate and find time for the fans?

I think it's because of eBay why no one signs. I've heard players bitch to fans about a guy having 12 cards on a page and saying, 'just going to put those up on eBay in a few hours'. And it doesn't help the hounds are just extremely rude to the players as well. If a player doesn't feel like signing for one day out of the 9 other days he signed, they will rip him and call him selfish.