PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a card in installments

x2drich2000
06-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Normally I would not to trying to purchase a card if I did not have the funds immediately available, but as im starting to look for cards that just dont come up for sale that often I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are regarding purchasing a card by paying in installments.

Have you ever bought/sold a card in installments? Would you allow this in order to make a sale? Charge more for the inconvenience? Does it depend who it is that's making the purchase? At what dollar amount would you consider allowing it as a seller/asking to do it as a buyer.

DJ

dabigyankeeman
06-13-2013, 05:44 PM
I have bought cards using a credit card with Paypal. Never asked a seller to take installments. I wouldnt take installments if i was a seller, not worth the gamble.

Zone91
06-13-2013, 05:46 PM
I would not ask that question here!!! From experience I believe best to work it out with the dealer if both of you are OK with then go for it....BUT do NOT back out of the transaction (I have done so in the past and it causes a LOT of problems here and with the seller).

Yes I have asked some sellers to wait up to 3 weeks to be paid in full and as everyone here knows I kept my word 99% of the time....that 1% can come bit you in the ass....so like I said make 100% you pay in all cases.

Post # 2

ullmandds
06-13-2013, 05:53 PM
I wouldnt buy or sell a card in installments. If u cant affort it...dont buy it or get a proper loan.

Craig M
06-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Great questions and I respect everyone's point of view.

Here's mine.

There is nothing wrong with purchasing a card(s) on a payment plan with the seller.

The guys I have done it with here actually needed funds to purchase some heavy hitters in auctions and if it wasn't for me putting X amount of dollars every week into the guys PayPal account, he probably would not have generated the funds to fuel his purchase. I wanted a card that he had but did not want to plop down the entire amount all at once so he agreed to stretch it out and send me the card after I had made my last payment.

I have actually done this with a handfull of guys here.

It's all about building a repore and developing trust.

I recently received an email from a member wanting to sell me a scrap and asked if I could help him out to raise the money for an upcoming auction again. He needs X amount of dollars each week and I agreed upon it.

It's a two way street with winning all around.

Happy Collecting,

Craig

Leon
06-13-2013, 06:50 PM
I have bought and sold cards with almost every conceivable way of paying. I have no issue with installments as long as both parties agree (or course), communicate well and uphold their end of the arrangement. There have been some cards I couldn't have afforded had I not done creative financing. And some of them would barely ever, if ever, come around again. I would rather figure something out than miss a super rare card I want. I am probably in the minority though (and I have a very understanding better half, which helps)....

JohnP0621
06-13-2013, 07:09 PM
I have purchased a few Big cards using an installment (layaway plan). I purchased 3 different-T206 psa 4 Cobbs and I just purchased a Rare Color Variation T206. I usually only purchase what I can afford at the time but sometimes I don't want to miss out on a card and don't have all of the funds available so and ask the seller to hold it 2-4 weeks max as I pay it off. I know that once I commit to the purchase that I will make sure I pay it quickly . It HAS WORKED OUT great EVERY TIME FOR ME.

John P

Republicaninmass
06-13-2013, 07:16 PM
I have before to trusted buyers. To clarify, I dont release the cards until it is paid in full.

39special
06-13-2013, 07:52 PM
I bought a card from a member here in installments.The member offered me the card,and said he would take installments.I paid a set amount in 4 payments,1 a week.I never would have asked him to do that,but he offered,
and it was a card I never would have been able to buy.Its the only time I have ever done it.
I would do it for a member here.

Howe’s Hunter
06-13-2013, 07:59 PM
All with members of this board, and I'm thankful they agreed to do so. Perhaps my collecting interest is so focused, they knew I'd be good for it. At least I hope they feel the same way. But I've always contacted first, made the arrangements, then proceeded. Longest one was three months, if I remember right, for a collection of 20.

smtjoy
06-13-2013, 08:54 PM
I purchased my first Exhibit Ruth from a Net54 member on a payment/layaway plan years ago, took me three payments, worked great and purchased a lot more from him that way. As long as you have a few of the long time members vouch for the person you should be fine. On any of the cards I have for sale I would offer the same thing to Net54 members.

I still have that first card (Thanks Jim L)-

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n182/smtjoy/Exhibit%20Collection/1928/28-ex-Ruth-50.jpg (http://s112.photobucket.com/user/smtjoy/media/Exhibit%20Collection/1928/28-ex-Ruth-50.jpg.html)

auggiedoggy
06-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Have you ever bought/sold a card in installments? Would you allow this in order to make a sale? Charge more for the inconvenience? Does it depend who it is that's making the purchase? At what dollar amount would you consider allowing it as a seller/asking to do it as a buyer.

DJ

I have never done either but I don't have a problem with it. If selling, I'd have a payment schedule worked out with the buyer and I would not send out the card (or cards) until the final payment has been made. I see some of the big name, high-volume sellers on eBay will offer this option for their customers.

thenavarro
06-13-2013, 10:29 PM
I do both buying and selling on installments. Has always worked well for me. I always make sure both parties are aware of the expectations and obligations. Don't make "assumptions" as that is where issues set in. Just agree on the terms up front

mike

bobbyw8469
06-14-2013, 06:29 AM
I did it with a rare comic once (Spiderman #2), and it worked out great. I did it with a card once for someone I knew well. He backed out of the deal (I was thankful, because I regretted selling the card), and was refunded. That is all I have to add on this.

autograf
06-14-2013, 08:59 AM
Have done it both ways before and all transactions worked. Know the person you're dealing with and have set terms before the transaction is completed. A good email trail of both peoples understanding should be part of the paperwork. And I agree with Ted to hold the card till the transaction is complete. That should just be part of the agreement.

TUM301
06-14-2013, 06:41 PM
Have purchased a couple cards on installments here on the B/S/T board. Always worked out just fine for me and the seller. As a matter of fact was thinking about P Ming someone tonite about a 3 pay installment plan for an item he has up for sale.

HOF Auto Rookies
06-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Another reason why this site is so amazing other than the knowledge, it's the peoples' characters. I purchased a lot of 6 cards for a high dollar amount from Mike Navarro on here (hi Mike), and he is such a class act, that because of the dollar amount, Mike gave me time to sell my cards and pay him monthly payments without interest or anything so that I can get these cards. That was so useful, and I'm so grateful to him in allowing me to do that, because I was ecstatic in getting those cards, and was even able to pay him off sooner.

EvilKing00
06-17-2013, 04:31 AM
I wouldn't mind it, just have both parties agree, and set a play, ie, 4 payments every other Friday etc.