PDA

View Full Version : Thought you all might appreciate this...

ZenPop
06-11-2013, 01:29 AM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm145/johnmav2/MoonAlice_SF_UnionSquare_600px.jpg

I'm an artist / designer... and I finally got to combine my love of baseball cards with my love of art / music... I did a poster last year for a band Moonalice, in which I used the 1952 Bowman set (one of my very favorites) as a frame for my illustration in the center...

I arranged the cards in groupings... (eg. Pitchers with their hands above their heads, catchers, portraits with blue sky and clouds behind them, Phillies, since the leader of the group is a big Phillies' fan and (of course) Giants all in a row...since I'm a big Giants' fan and the concert was in San Francisco, etc.)... Like all Moonalice shows they distribute posters after the show... so it was a pretty cool experience...

nebboy
06-11-2013, 07:47 AM
Very nice design
I like the groupings, and overall design is very strong.

ZenPop
06-11-2013, 08:47 AM
I appreciate it!

4reals
06-11-2013, 08:51 AM
Thank you for sharing! As a novice designer I appreciate this kind of work very much. Did you use Indesign? I'm currently piecing a sheet together for another member on these boards so I know the time it takes!

Paul S
06-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Very cool. You got a bit of Magritte in you! :)

(Plus, you picked wbat may be my very favorite 50's set).

CW
06-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Looks great!

darkhorse9
06-11-2013, 11:18 AM
Really cool design and I hope the band is great. But it is important to note that those baseball cards are copywritten images and using them in an advertising capacity could land you in some financial hot water.

I don't want to be a curmudgeon and I hope that's not going to be the case, but it's always important to remember the intellectual property laws in such things even when there is no direct financial gain on the use. My two decades in marketing have taught me such.

ZenPop
06-11-2013, 07:48 PM
To answer a few questions...

The piece was created in Photoshop... I do use InDesign, but not on this particular piece... lots of layers... and I drew the middle in Photoshop with a Wacom Tablet...

LOVE Magritte... so there's that.

I thought (when I created it) that it was in the Public Domain... turns out the problem was with regards to using images of Mays and Mantle... but that got resolved (not sure how, as I wasn't part of the discussion)... The poster was a give-away at the time and that may have been part of the answer, as well... taught me a lesson about that... I do my own original illustration work, but I thought it would be cool to use my favorite '50s set as a border... I think I have to go back further in time, next time...

Here's another example of the kind of work I do... more illustrative stuff...

http://www.zenpop.com/images/FINAL%20ILLUSTRATIONS/8Baseball14b.jpg

Volod
06-12-2013, 03:06 AM
Wow, really nice work. Every time I see images of a 52 Bowman sheet, I feel like Lawrence Harvey's character in "The Manchurian Candidate" reacting to a deck full of queens of spades - my face twitches, my fingers tremble, and I have a childish urge to run down to the corner mom n' pop store and buy as many Bowman packs as my nickles allow.

ZenPop
06-14-2013, 01:51 AM
I'm like you on that... If I could transport back in time... I'd be ready with my nickels, dimes and quarters to buy a bunch of fresh packs... that would be awesome.

Rickyy
06-14-2013, 11:30 AM
Niccceee!

Ricky Y