PDA

View Full Version : Photo player Identification help

repsher
06-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Hi Guys,

I recently picked up a couple of photos and I'm not sure who is the player in each of them.

The first one is dated May 11th 1912. I am thinking it could be Cy Morgan or Chief Bender.
102493 102492

The 2nd on is dated Oct 9th 1934. Which would be the last game of the WS (Detroit and STL).

102494 102495

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

thecatspajamas
06-10-2013, 05:31 PM
Will take another look when I get back to my computer and a bigger screen, but in the meantime keep in mind that the file date, which is the date stamped on the back, is generally a few days after the photo was actually shot. It took a while for the photo to make the rounds before being filed away in the morgue.

With that in mind, is there a reason you doubt whoever wrote Mel Ott on the back of the second photo?

Dto7
06-10-2013, 07:45 PM
First photo is at Hilltop Park in New York..most likely taken between April 23-25 1912 when the A's played at New York.

thecatspajamas
06-10-2013, 07:46 PM
This is the closest I can come to a shot of Ott from that angle (this one circa 1938), but I don't see any reason to doubt the ID on the back of the photo. I'm assuming you had eliminated him as a possibility based on the date?

horzverti
06-10-2013, 07:50 PM
The Philadelphia Athletics player is Claud (Claude) Derrick.

Nice original Bain pick-up Ryan.

horzverti
06-10-2013, 07:59 PM
...and your image with ID at top.

repsher
06-11-2013, 12:11 PM
This is the closest I can come to a shot of Ott from that angle (this one circa 1938), but I don't see any reason to doubt the ID on the back of the photo. I'm assuming you had eliminated him as a possibility based on the date?

Well that and the fact that the back seems to be scribbled out. Plus, I didn't think it looked much like him. But with the photo you've posted it does look most likely like it his him. Great news since I picked the photo up for around $15.

Thanks.

repsher
06-11-2013, 12:17 PM
...and your image with ID at top.

Wow, that was quick. Thanks for the positive ID. I certainly came to the right place.

horzverti
06-11-2013, 01:02 PM
Sounds weird, but can anyone else see the "face" figure in the dirt, behind Derrick, under his shadow in Ryan's image? Look directly above what looks like a scribble on Ryan's image or directly above the space between Park, NY (baseb... in the bottom area on the same photo that I posted.
I'd circle it, but not sure how to do that.

Anyone see it? If not, I then need a rest. LOL!

Dto7
06-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Here's the face

thecatspajamas
06-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Well that and the fact that the back seems to be scribbled out. Plus, I didn't think it looked much like him. But with the photo you've posted it does look most likely like it his him. Great news since I picked the photo up for around $15.

Thanks.

The scribbling seems to be done to the entire back of the photo, not just Ott's name, so I don't think it was meant to ex him out as the identified subject of the photo. I'm not sure why the entire back of the photo would be shaded like that, but that's my take on it.

I would do the ear check to confirm, except that I'm awful at it and wouldn't want to mislead. Perhaps if you were to post a larger cropping of just his head though someone else can confirm.

thecatspajamas
06-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Sounds weird, but can anyone else see the "face" figure in the dirt, behind Derrick, under his shadow in Ryan's image? Look directly above what looks like a scribble on Ryan's image or directly above the space between Park, NY (baseb... in the bottom area on the same photo that I posted.

I see it, but it's just like spotting a shape in the clouds to me. Now if it had appeared on a piece of toast or in the mold behind your refrigerator, THEN you might be on to something... :eek:

repsher
06-11-2013, 02:27 PM

Wow. I didn't see that before. It actually looks like there is a ball cap on the head. I wonder if Hilltop park was haunted? :eek:

No joking, if paranormal investigators saw that they would certainly list it as evidence.

horzverti
06-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Whew! Good. Glad it isn't just me who can "see" the face. :D

deebro041
06-11-2013, 07:38 PM
I see two faces, the on with the cap on, and one directly above the beginning of the scribble, looks like grasping for air.
:eek: