PDA

View Full Version : 1950's Ball W/ Foxx, Mantle, Stengel, Williams...all ID'd now. Thx!

ATP
06-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Hoping to elicit some help on a few of these signatures I have been unable to identify on this ball. I have identified almost all, of which I will list below in order of the photos, with some marked as unknown (or what I think the name looks like). Those are the ones I need help with. The time frame on the ball is around 1956 - 1957. They were not all obtained at the same time but over a period at different events/games, however I believe they will all be American League players. You can tell some of the players used the same pen but overall several different colors were used, however that may be a key to helping determine the few I am struggling with. Here is the list of names and the unknowns:

Willie Miranda
Mickey Mantle
UNKNOWN (looks like Jim Velne?)
Joe Vosmik
Ted Williams
Marty Keough
UNKNOWN (first name starts with J last name with M)
Ron Moeller
Hal Wagner
UNKNOWN (looks like Bob Ferrina)
Joe Vosmik (twice)
Frank Baumann
Jimmie Foxx
Bill Skowron
Jack Burns
Casey Stengel
Johnny Pesky
Ted Lepcio
UNKNOWN (looks like Jim Eumer?)
Tony Kubek
UNKNOWN (looks like Pete Runar?)
Sam White
George Kell
Bobby Doerr
Tom Oliver
Earl Johnson
Yogi Berra
Haywood Sullivan
Dick Gernert
Frank Malzone

I really appreciate the help anyone can provide on the unknown names. Its a great looking ball but it always gets at me if I can't ID every name.

Michael B
06-09-2013, 08:15 PM
The one you said looks like Bob Ferrina is Dave "Boo' Ferriss.
The one above Joe Vosmik is Ike Delock.
Though you did not really show it in the scan, the Pete one looks like Pete Runnells.
The one between Lepcio and Kubek is Jim Turner.

The is probably circa 1958-59 as Gernert, Lepcio and Runnells were teammates 1958-59 with the Red Sox. Jim Turner was long retired and I would guess a coach. The same with Ferriss. Interesting 'Mica' Mantle signature.

ATP
06-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Michael,
That is fantastic, you really helped me out with those four. Looks like the only one left that I cannot tell is the very sloppy one that the first name looks to start with "J " and last name "M". The Mantle signature looks like "mica" but what it really is, is Mick and they just a "flick" of the pen stroke for the "ey". Much appreciated on the help on those four.
Best,
Jeff

mr2686
06-09-2013, 09:24 PM
That one could be Jim Mahoney. He played on the 59 boston team.

MooseDog
06-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Little late but the last unknown is Jim Marshall.

ATP
06-09-2013, 10:25 PM
MooseDog, thanks for the ID on the last one. Definitely is Marshall, with the unique "J". Thanks so much for everyone's help.