PDA

View Full Version : loupe recommendation

baker85
06-09-2013, 08:13 AM
If I wanted to buy a loupe to get a better look at pre war cards, what kind of loupe would you recommend? do you personally ever use a loupe?

steve B
06-09-2013, 08:26 AM
Yes, I have a few. I find the folding magnifiers to be a bit more useful than the more fixed funnel shaped loupes. I've never developed the skill the Swiss machinist I worked for had of holding the loupe in his eye like a monocle.

The two I use the most are a 10X folder that's a bit small. Good for a quick look in good light. And a larger 40X folder that had its own light. Both were very inexpensive from a supplies seller at an antique mall. I think the 40X was under $10, certainly no more than $20. It has a few shortcomings. The switch for the light has never really worked. And the screws for the hinge kept coming loose. I don't use the light much, and a bit of blue locktite kept the screws in place. The optics aren't spectacular, but very good for the price.

Steve B

bubblebathgirl
06-09-2013, 08:40 AM
If I wanted to buy a loupe to get a better look at pre war cards, what kind of loupe would you recommend? do you personally ever use a loupe?

Does your purpose for this have to do with grading?

t206blogcom
06-09-2013, 08:41 AM
I use a couple of loupes that I used to use when looking at my slide film on a light box. I don't remember price as it's been 10 years or so since I bought them. But you should be able to find them at a photography store.

baker85
06-09-2013, 08:44 AM
what level of magnification should I be looking for?

baker85
06-09-2013, 09:10 AM
this is more for curiosity then anything else.

auggiedoggy
06-09-2013, 10:14 AM
what level of magnification should I be looking for?

I just bought a 30x loupe for $18.99 (CAD) on eBay. Not hard to find and most were cheaper but we Canucks always pay more for stuff.

MMarvelli
06-09-2013, 11:35 AM
I have used loupes for many years. I have an 8x and 10x and there isnt that much of a significant difference. One handy tip is when you place the loupe the 'correct' way you have to actually place the loupe on the surface of the card for focus. I always use it the inverted way, where the focal point is off the card. Not only does this keep any possible harm from touching the card, it lets in more light.

Another obvious rule of thumb for a loupe...use it when buying, lose it when selling.

Cardboard Junkie
06-09-2013, 11:49 AM
I have a 10X loupe and a 40X (25mm) loupe with led and ultraviolet led's. Also have a 60X hand held microscope with led and ultraviolet led's. A large hand held magnifying glass with both led and ultraviolet led. I also have a digital desk microscope 2000X Yup 2000X. With this I can zero right in to the individual fibers on an edge an actually see the ends of the fibers, not just the fibers. I can see the "grain" of an edge cut. I am also building a light box out of a 5 gal fish tank. The section on equipment in the detecting alterations and reprints have some useful information but is behind considering the current technology (for example it states that 20X is too strong?? Absurd!). A person can buy a powerful digital microscope for under 50 bucks that would have cost 50K not long ago. :) Dave. ps all the loupes and glasses I have were very inexpensive (mostly from china via ebay).