PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky Baseball Help (ever so slightly O/T)

jerseygary
06-08-2013, 01:52 PM
I was wondering if the board members here could help me out with choosing some interesting baseball players who either was born in Kentucky or played in Kentucky. It doesn't have to be super-star players, what I'm interested in is good stories with interesting hooks.

These are some of the guys I have so far:

Honus Wagner - played with Louisville
Earle Combs - born in KY and got his start with Lexington (with Happy Chandler)
Happy Chandler - played minor league ball in Lexington
Pee Wee Reese - Louisville native and started with the Colonels
Humpty Badel - actual hump-back who almost made it to the majors
Fred Toney - pitched a 17 inning no hitter for Winchester, KY
Jim Bunning - perfect game pitcher and senator
Mickey Stubblefield - Negro League player and 1st to integrate the KITTY League
Casey Stengel - got his pro start with Shelbyville/Maysville
Sammy T. Hughes - Louisville native and Negro League star of the 1930's

that's a few of the guys I have so far, but was hoping some of the Net54ers could suggest some I haven't thought of. I'm particularly lacking in pre-1880's players but any pre-1955 player with a great story is possible. Baseball in Louisville is very well documented so any other region would help immensely...

DixieBaseball
06-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Gary - As far as players, interesting research, and loads of fun you can't beat a good T210 Series 6 Blue Grass League player! I think there is somewhere around 70 or so of them in the series 6 and there are a few board members who have put the subset together. The research can be a little challenging but worth it, especially if you get into local papers in those towns of Winchester, Shelbyville, Frankfort, Maysville, Paris, Lexington, and Richmond. All of those minor leaguer's have stories just waiting to be told. If you like mainstream then this set is not for you, but the poses and players are interesting. Good Luck !

deadballfreaK
06-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Pete Browning comes to mind both as a great hitter and a strange character.

tlwise12
06-08-2013, 08:05 PM
Gary,

Clint Thomas was born in Greenup, Kentucky. He was an early Cuban and Negro League star. He played a big role on three consecutive Eastern Colored League Championships and then again in the 1925 Negro League World Series as a member of the Hilldale team.

Travis

autograf
06-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Paul Derringer for the 1930's Cincinnati Reds from Springfield KY
Early 1970's Louisville Colonels included Dwight Evans, Cecil Cooper and Carlton Fisk
Joe McCarthy played for the Colonels

jerseygary
06-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Thanks to everyone who took the time to throw in names so far! Joe McCarthy is definately a guy I'd like to cover as is Paul Derringer, his wins and loss record is staggering. Another guy from the 1939-40 Reds is Junior Thompson who played with Paducah in 1936. I have to do a story and illustration on him simply because the uniforms the Paducah Indians wore that year - they have a giant swastika on the chest (Indian good luck symbol), but boy, in 1936?). The team finished first but Thompson and most of the players refused to play in the 4-team playoffs because they never received their paychecks. Never thought of Clint Thomas, that a good one as is Pete Browning, I think they're all in.

I've been looking at the T210's for inspiration, I really like that set more and more. The poses are really attractive and I like cards of small minor leagues. I'll look at an interesting photo on one and then research that player to see what I come up with, it's time consuming but hey, it keeps me off the streets at night!