PDA

View Full Version : Best story of 2013

EvilKing00
06-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Any one here about this kid from SC?

Looks like there is still some youth that still gets it. No one should be able to take away your right to free speech.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2336616/Valedictorian-rips-approved-speech-recites-Lords-Prayer-school-bans-prayer.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Cardboard Junkie
06-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Unfortunately Erik, I think the audience was not applauding his use of free speech, but rather the religulous lord's prayer. I don't think they would have applauded if he read a satan worshiping prayer to exercise his free speech. Dave

teetwoohsix
06-08-2013, 12:08 PM
I think what he did was great.

You may be right David, about why the crowd cheered-but I like the fact that he ripped up the "approved" speech and said what he wanted to. It's his day in the sun, he worked hard to graduate, he should be allowed to give a speech without someone having to comb it over for "approval". Do they not trust the kids they teach to speak their mind without "approval"? And, what makes the person "approving" the speeches so righteous to decide what's ok and what's not?

Thanks for posting this link Steve :D

Sincerely, Clayton

Cardboard Junkie
06-08-2013, 12:22 PM
I think what he did was great.

You may be right David, about why the crowd cheered-but I like the fact that he ripped up the "approved" speech and said what he wanted to. It's his day in the sun, he worked hard to graduate, he should be allowed to give a speech without someone having to comb it over for "approval". Do they not trust the kids they teach to speak their mind without "approval"? And, what makes the person "approving" the speeches so righteous to decide what's ok and what's not?

Thanks for posting this link Steve :D

Sincerely, Clayton
Yes! I too think that what he did was great. In exercising the freedom to "say whatever he wants"! I sometimes feel that our "freedom of speech" is impeded by "political correctness". :)Dave.

barrysloate
06-08-2013, 02:36 PM
Isn't the valedictorian supposed to speak about his educational experiences, his college future, his past four years of high school, or something to that effect? Isn't that the whole point of the ceremony? I'm not sure I understand what he did that was so special. What if he tore up his speech and spoke about why he thought the Yankees are going to win the pennant? Would that be a noble gesture?

Jlighter
06-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Isn't the valedictorian supposed to speak about his educational experiences, his college future, his past four years of high school, or something to that effect? Isn't that the whole point of the ceremony? I'm not sure I understand what he did that was so special. What if he tore up his speech and spoke about why he thought the Yankees are going to win the pennant? Would that be a noble gesture?

Would it be noble...probably not, I would have stood and applauded though.:)

I see that the Valedictorian has earned the right to talk about whatever they feel is right. At my High School three speeches were given. Valedictorian, Salutatorian and Class President. If anything I feel the onus is on the Class President to give the type of speech you describe.

I was close to getting a speech position, and thought a little about what I would say. Instead of just reciting a regurgitated speech being given at every High School across the country that most likely would have gone through one ear and out the other; I would have highlighted a particular student who didn't get the recognition they deserved.

At least one student would remember the speech.:)

teetwoohsix
06-08-2013, 06:24 PM

Well Barry, the noble gesture to me is the fact that he ripped up an "approved" speech and said what he really wanted to say. The crowd understood the act, and cheered for him!!! Grad's gone wild!!! :D lol

Sincerely, Clayton

barrysloate
06-09-2013, 04:30 AM
Hi Clayton- but what he said had nothing to do with the ceremony at hand. I guess we're having a debate about the meaning of free speech. And since that's a political issue I'll bow out right here.:)

Have a good one.

EvilKing00
06-09-2013, 05:16 AM

yes he is supposed to talk about his educational experiences, and I think he actually did. By showing he learned all about the constitution.

barrysloate
06-09-2013, 05:27 AM
Steve- if he tore up his speech and used his time to do an impression of the Three Stooges, would you respond the same way?

Cardboard Junkie
06-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Did someone say three stooges?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agclATD-zXs:) Dave.

sam majors
06-09-2013, 03:23 PM
A file was started on that young man before he was half way through tearing up the "approved" speech!

Cardboard Junkie
06-09-2013, 03:29 PM
probably a pot smoker too

teetwoohsix
06-10-2013, 03:18 AM
A file was started on that young man before he was half way through tearing up the "approved" speech!

Sincerely, Clayton

EvilKing00
06-11-2013, 04:10 AM
Steve- if he tore up his speech and used his time to do an impression of the Three Stooges, would you respond the same way?

no, lol, um as he was told by the school not to mention god what he did was about right. If they told him not to mention moe, well then our suggestion would of been perfect.