PDA

View Full Version : Negro League Broadside

Shoeless Moe
06-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Is there any chance this is real? I know coming from dreaded Ohio.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1930s-Negro-Baseball-Colored-All-Stars-Vs-White-Limo-Ohio-17-x-12-inches-/111092108792?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item19dd9b0df8

khkco4bls
06-07-2013, 06:15 PM
First thing. Do u really think it would be in that good condition , no blemishes etc. RUN AWAY. Anything paper pretty much I don't even look at anymore. How many posts do we have to read about is it real or not , or forged. This hobby is really starting to suck because now I am questioning everything... IM so tired.

jerseygary
06-07-2013, 08:03 PM
It's a repro of a real broadside. I believe the original was printed in black and red as well. This looks like it was printed on that fake parchment paper they used to print the Declaration of Independence and colonial currency on when I was a kid in the 70's.

bcbgcbrcb
06-07-2013, 11:12 PM
Don't think so and a real one won't be worth a whole lot of money anyway.

Jaybird
06-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Agree with all above. Here's one that sold in Fusco Auctions.

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/17287030_lima-ohio-colored-all-stars-original-baseball-broadside

jerseygary
06-08-2013, 07:01 AM
Yes that's the red and black ink original I was referring to. When you compare the two side by side it's easy to tell the fake. I wouldn't even consider buying a broadside these days without thoroughly researching before hand. There are so many fake out there and even many very poorly done "recreations" that it makes your head spin.

Leon
06-08-2013, 08:41 AM
First thing. Do u really think it would be in that good condition , no blemishes etc. RUN AWAY. Anything paper pretty much I don't even look at anymore. How many posts do we have to read about is it real or not , or forged. This hobby is really starting to suck because now I am questioning everything... IM so tired.

I hope if a member doesn't know if something is real or not they will always ask. There is no limit on being careful, imo. Looking at this issue another way, finding a real item is getting to be more difficult, which makes the times we do find a great one, all the better. It's all about perspective.

jerseygary
06-08-2013, 09:14 AM
I think question posts like this are great because that's how you learn. I have an extensive background in printing, design and also making period-specific movie props and I'm always happy to help someone else who does not have the experience as I do. Same as I appreciate the help when I ask about signatures or cards, things I do not have a huge amount of experience with. Net54 is a font of expertise you can't find on any other board out there, period. We all do each other a favor by helping members who lack the hard earned knowledge some on here have. In that way we both educate hobbyists and also increase the number of collectors who are able to spot a fake and not reward the con artists with a purchase.

deebro041
06-08-2013, 10:04 AM
The only thing about asking about an item, is that some members feel an auction is being outed, when really the less knowledgeable person is just looking for help.