PDA

View Full Version : Vin Scully & Yasiel Puig

doug.goodman
06-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Vin Scully's call of Puig's HR tonight on TV was a classic in the history of the game.

"And, a high fly ball into deep right field. I don't believe it. A grand slam home run."

Then a couple minutes or so of silence, while we watched him circle the bases, high five thru the dugout, take a curtain call, three replays of the hit.

Then Vin says "I have learned over the years, that there comes a rare and precious moment where there is absolutely nothing better than silence"

Jlighter
06-06-2013, 11:17 PM
You just scared the heck out of me.:eek:

With the thread name just being Vin Scully I thought I was going to be reading the dreaded words none of us ever want to see.

doug.goodman
06-06-2013, 11:19 PM
You just scared the heck out of me.:eek:

With the thread name just being Vin Scully I thought I was going to be reading the dreaded words none of us ever want to see.

I just changed the title so that you're the only one I scare.

That will be a terrible day.

Doug

deadballfreaK
06-07-2013, 12:37 AM
I guess I'm glad I didn't see the first title. Vin Scully is a national treasure and I'm not exactly fond of the Dodgers. I hope he can at least do it part time for several more years.

hangman62
06-07-2013, 04:44 AM
Isnt that wig he wears absolutly awful,the guy is like 90...and its a huge pile of orange and red racoon on his head

maniac_73
06-07-2013, 05:23 AM
Isnt that wig he wears absolutly awful,the guy is like 90...and its a huge pile of orange and red racoon on his head

He's a legend he's earned the right to do what he wants with his hair I think

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hangman62
06-07-2013, 05:29 AM
Oh, I agree.. he is an all time legend in Dodger history ..he was there from Jackie ..Sandy...Garvey..till today...If you look closely its all wig up there..Im not sure any of that is real..I mean all artifical.. horse hair Im guessing

EvilKing00
06-07-2013, 05:40 AM
Vin Scully's call of Puig's HR tonight on TV was a classic in the history of the game.

"And, a high fly ball into deep right field. I don't believe it. A grand slam home run."

Then a couple minutes or so of silence, while we watched him circle the bases, high five thru the dugout, take a curtain call, three replays of the hit.

Then Vin says "I have learned over the years, that there comes a rare and precious moment where there is absolutely nothing better than silence"

I think Puig is gonna be real good, wish the mets had him. BUT, I picked him up on my fantasy team sooo im happy:)

hangman62
06-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Oh yea.. Vin come up with some classic lines..what about the call on the Koufax perfect game..".2 and 2 to harvey Kueen".... but the silence on the Puig HR call, Im not sure, with a lot of that toupee adhesive they reccomend no movement or sound during the application.... it helps the wig adhere to the bald scalp

pclpads
06-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Oh yea.. Vin come up with some classic lines..what about the call on the Koufax perfect game..".2 and 2 to harvey Kueen".... but the silence on the Puig HR call, Im not sure, with a lot of that toupee adhesive they reccomend no movement or sound during the application.... it helps the wig adhere to the bald scalp

Keep talking. If you make it to 85, like Vinny, you'll probably have to eat those words. :D

whitehse
06-07-2013, 09:22 AM
I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Scully in the Dodgers dugout at Wrigley Field when I worked for the team. It was only the two of us there as it was early in the day but I am pleased to say that he was as nice to me with nobody around to witness our interaction as I had hoped he would be. He is a throwback to a different time and a true gentleman. I considered this one of my most cherished memories from the time I worked for the team.

As for the call last night...I didnt hear it but in my minds eye(ear?) I can hear it perfectly!!

kkkkandp
06-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Come on - I think his current style is quite an improvement! :D

Besides, I would much prefer to listen to his dulcet tones than those of Yankee broadcasters John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman. If only Mr. Sterling could learn a thing or two about silence from Mr. Scully.

freakhappy
06-07-2013, 11:48 AM
I think Puig is gonna be real good, wish the mets had him. BUT, I picked him up on my fantasy team sooo im happy:)

Trade him now! Get value!!!

ErikV
06-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Scully calls Puigs slam:
http://t.co/vxhdlpm9FH

GrayGhost
06-07-2013, 01:17 PM
I have loved Vin, since as a kid, he was on game of the week. Now, thru the magiv of Gameday Audio, I get to hear him at times. He's the BEST EVER

HOF Auto Rookies
06-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Trade him now! Get value!!!

+100000000 best thing to do with him right now before he hits a monster slump

hangman62
06-07-2013, 03:21 PM
OK, OK, lets not get....." wigged out" over this thread !!

the 'stache
06-08-2013, 06:45 PM
I saw it happen live on MLB Network. It was truly a magical moment. Vin is the best. I could listen to him all night. His recollections could make even the most boring game entertaining. When the Brewers play the Dodgers, I don't know what to do-watch the Dodger broadcast with Vin, or listen to the Brewer radio broadcast with Bob Uecker.

Just a few seconds before they went out to Dodger Stadium for their live look in, Eric Byrnes said that he was excited about Puig as he was when Mike Trout came up. Puig's grand slam seemed to come on queue.