PDA

View Full Version : New E121 Series of 80 Checklist Additions *New Finds*

rhettyeakley
06-05-2013, 07:14 PM
New E121 Series of 80 Checklist Additions *New Finds*. As many know I've been working on this "set" for a number of years and have recently come across some cards that I feel are worthy of actually being added to the Master Set checklist.

It has always been my opinion with this set that a new addition to the checklist of what constitutes a master set requires that something be "changed". Whether it is a change in the photo (cropping, pose, etc.), a team change, a position change, or some type of change to the overall design of the card. There are many cards in this set that can be found with slight differences in the placement of the name in association with the team and position in relation to the photo itself--I have never considered these to be true variations as it can become WAY too problematic.

That being said, I have made a few additions to the E121-80 checklist over the years including the Harry Hooper photo cropping variation along with the George Dauss name in block vs serif font on front. I consider these cards to be necessary for the "Master Set" as they both constitute a change in the design of the card. All 3 of the cards described below are IMO of the same type, while two of them are somewhat subtle, one is absolutely a "new find" that I am pretty excited about. All cards described below have the common "Type 1" backs (no rare backs below)

1.) Amos Strunk (Chicago Americans)-- This is perhaps the "most subtle" new addition, although I feel it is different enough. The regular card has his team as "Chicago Americans" with the "C" in Chicago in regular block font, the new addition inexplicably has this capital C replaced by a serif "C". see scans below. Again, pretty subtle but it is a substantive change to the design of the card (if it were T206 it would be a big deal :) ).

http://starsofthediamond.com/e121strunk.jpg
http://starsofthediamond.com/e121strunk2.jpg

2.) George Whitted (Pittsburgh Nationals)-- The regular card has a long dash between his position "R.F." and his team (how most cards in the set are designed), but the new find has this long dash removed and there is no real break between the two.

http://starsofthediamond.com/e121whitted.jpg

3.) Joe Wood (Cleveland Americans)-- This is by far the biggest new find. The common version has his team as "R.F." but the new addition (which is completely unaltered) only has as his position as "F.". Years ago I thought I had seen this variation in a lot but couldn't verify until just now with my new aquisition. It is interesting because Wood's E120 card also has his position on front as simply "Fielder". I have a feeling this Wood variation is EXTREMELY HARD TO FIND as I have actively been looking for nearly 10 years and just now confirmed its existence.

http://starsofthediamond.com/e121wood.jpg

Anyways, I am excited for new finds, and these (especially the Wood) are cool.

-Rhett

Jaybird
06-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Nice work, Rhett. I was testing myself to see if I could find the variations before I read your captions. I missed the Dauss dash one completely! I love the Joe Wood card so seeing that variation is very cool indeed. It's obviously unaltered since the spacing between the top and bottom line are very different in each version as well.

Very cool, eagle-eyes.

ethicsprof
06-05-2013, 07:55 PM
great detective work!
any ideas on why a serif was chosen to replace the ole regular C.
I noted your use of the appropriate word 'inexplicable' but still wondering.
all the best,
barry

Mark
06-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Rhett, you have no idea how pleased I was to see another of these threads. Just looking through the cards in my house and I see that my Strunk has the serif C and that I have one each of the Whitteds. My line is missing in the Series of 120 version. Thanks for advancing the science of E121's.

brianp-beme
06-06-2013, 07:50 AM
As usual, one of Rhett's posts will send me scurrying to my collection to unearth what else he has discovered there. Great job!

The Joe Wood variation is very interesting...not only is it the only 'F' designation I have seen, but it is also lacking the vertical print line seen on most (if not all) of the issued E121/W575-1 Wood cards. Once again, must scurry to see what in the heck is going on my collection. The E121 series of 80 issue is so rife with printing variations it almost seems like it was a trial run for American Caramel's Series of 120 issue. Of course that is what makes it so interesting to nutcases like us.

Thanks for sharing.

Brian

rhettyeakley
06-07-2013, 10:53 AM
I figured I'd give this a bump so any of the 5 people that care about this set get a chance to see it, then I will let it drift into page 2 oblivion and beyond.
-Rhett

Mrc32
06-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Not a set I collect, but great work.

Have you found more than one version of each? That is my bar for a official variation. Otherwise, it is a printing error.

rhettyeakley
06-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Ive seen two of the Wood and Whitted cards and one of the above posters confirmed that he also owns the Strunk variation, so that makes at least two of each.

tiger8mush
06-07-2013, 12:19 PM
Nice work! I try to pick up an E121 every now and then, if its on the cheap of a nice example. It seems the 80 series are a little more scarce/expensive than the 120s, perhaps why I only have a couples 80s but a handful of 120s.

kmac32
06-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Need to check my collection but I have only New York teams so probably nothing there.

old-baseball
06-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Good stuff Rhett. Checked my cards and I do have a Strunk variation (see below). It also has a Type 1 reverse.

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=219&pictureid=11587