PDA

View Full Version : Passing of Ray Hess - 92 years

Greenmonster
06-04-2013, 11:13 PM
My friend Ray Hess passed away on May 26 in Palm Springs, he was 92 years old. Ray had been collecting since the 1930s, actually opened Batter Ups packs as a 13 year old collector. Ray was a humble guy about his collecting and his collection, he had all of his childhood cards well into the 1980s and continued to collect through to the 21st century. Eighty years of collecting baseball cards, postcards, signatures, figures, bats (store model Joe Jackson comes to mind), programs, guides, you name it and Ray would collect it.

Ray was most proud of the friends he collected over the years in the hobby, including hobby pioneers, Ray Medeiros, Lionel Carter, Charles Bray, Preston Orem, Buck Barker, Elwood Scharf, Bob Jaspersen and "the kid" Mike Jaspersen. He also befriended a young JC Baseball coach by the name of Dave Trembley who called Ray from the Astros clubhouse to check up on him just a few days before his passing.

How many people do you know that can say they saw Babe Ruth play his last game as a member of the Boston Braves at old Baker Bowl? I'm going to guess Ray was the last one still in attendance, in 2013, from that game.

Ray was a good friend, I'm going to miss him very much. For those that would like to send condolences to the family - Gretchen Woolf, PO Box 1916, Jacksonville, OR 97530

I would like to thank Tom Bartsch of SCD for making available this wonderful article about Ray that was recently published in SCD, here's the link

http://www.sportscollectorsdigest.com/featured/ray-hess-decades-of-observation-in-the-hobby

Leon
06-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Hey Jim
For those of us that are interested in the history of the hobby that was a great write up and article you shared. Hess sounds like he was one of the Old Guard. There just aren't those ethics and integrity as much anymore, so it seems. Thanks much....very enjoyable reading.

Jaybird
06-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Thanks Jim! What a life. Thanks for sharing it with us. Friends in the hobby and out are what makes life full.

oaks1912
06-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Jim, Thanks for posting this. I recall meeting Ray in the early 70's at our Northern California shows and beginning in '75 when I started going to the So Cal shows. Ray was very respectful to everyone, including kids and a positive influence on many in the hobby including myself. Ray's name has come up quite a few times in the past 3 weeks. I read George Vrechek's article on Ray last month. On a recent trip to Southern California, my co-pilot Doug McWilliams commented on how he had been the photographer of the picture of Ray with Ray Medeiros which was used in the SCD article. Just a few days ago, Steve Mitchell and I were talking about Ray as well. I haven't had a chance to look it up yet, but Steve said that there was a picture of Ray and him in an early '70's Sport Scoop..... My last communication with Ray was several years back. I became concerned several months back when a lot of his 'stuff' was being offered on Ebay, thinking that he may have passed already. Everyone's time comes at some point, but Ray seemed to enjoy quite a journey during his time.

ethicsprof
06-05-2013, 11:27 AM
a very moving piece, Jim.
my condolences to family and friends.
one of the great ones in the hobby --Ray Hess.

with deepest sympathy,
barry

SteveMitchell
06-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Mark Macrae's comments on Ray Hess are on the mark ("Ray was very respectful to everyone, including kids and a positive influence on many in the hobby including myself"). I got to meet him for the first time at the 1973 Midwest Sports Collectors Convention at the Troy-Hilton motel. Meeting Ray was like a reunion with an old friend!

Attached is a photo of Ray and me from the August/September 1973 issue of Sports Scoop magazine ("Joe Sewell" cover). Incidentally that particular issue contains photos of other "old-timers": show co-promoter Lloyd Toerpe, Paul Frisz with Pat Quinn, Sport Fan editor-publisher Bob Jasperson, photo supplier Jim Rowe, Stan McClure, Frank Nagy and others. Sadly, most have passed on but all left a lasting impression on us - including, and especially, Ray Hess.

Griffins
06-05-2013, 02:06 PM
I used to buy cards from Ray at the Anaheim annual and Garden Grove monthly shows from '73-'76. He was always very fair and treated kids well- considerably better than some of his peers. IIRC correctly he had a seemingly endless pile of '58 Bell Brands, and was always willing to answer questions about the hobby. Condolences to his friends and family.

Rob D.
06-05-2013, 04:49 PM
I remember corresponding with Ray at least once when I was a teenager and later meeting him at one of either the Detroit or Cincinnati shows (don't remember which city it was). It's always a sad day when the hobby loses someone whose primary focus isn't "maximizing his return" on a "severely undergraded" card or trying to figure out another way to squeeze an extra buck out of the hobby.

whiteymet
06-05-2013, 10:25 PM
I too had the pleasure of meeting Ray in the early 70's at a few of the early "conventions" in places like Detriot, Cincy, and Indy.

Always the gentleman, very tanned, SoCal laid back. Really made an impression on a 20 something from NJ!! He always came with stacks of Bell Brands! Completed my sets through him and got ad sheets as well as I recall.

One of the real good guys!!

Fred

gnaz01
06-06-2013, 03:38 AM
I never met Ray, but I do have the honor of owning his hobby publications and guides that belonged to him! Mark referenced above to them being sold on eBay and I purchased them. It is an honor to know they are in my collection, as well as many articles written by him and about him.

Greenmonster
06-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Thanks to all who have posted remembrances of Ray, the family has been on line viewing your comments and sends their sincere appreciation of your good words and wishes.

Mike Jaspersen
06-07-2013, 12:33 AM
I was saddened by the news of Ray Hess’ passing. I first met Ray in 1970 at a collector gathering in Southern California. Although just a teenager at the time, the age difference didn’t faze Ray in the least. In Ray’s mind, we were all just a bunch of collectors. The 1970’s was an exciting time in the hobby. Card gatherings were quickly turning into actual baseball card shows. For Ray, those cordial get-togethers became his very own national road show. I still remember asking my dad on the way to the show, Is Ray Hess’ table next to ours? Most of the time, the answer was yes. My dad was a big Ray Hess fan too. It was always better when Ray was in the room. He was the original “most interesting man in the world!” Will never forget our good times.
Pic is from Jim Nowell's 1970 Brea, California show with Irv Lerner, Ray Hess, Ray Medeiros and Lionel Carter.
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag21/mikejaspersen/Untitled-Scanned-012_zpsaf736d54.jpg (http://s1297.photobucket.com/user/mikejaspersen/media/Untitled-Scanned-012_zpsaf736d54.jpg.html)

Griffins
06-07-2013, 12:54 AM
Mike- do you know if Jim Nowell, Gavin Riley, or Steve Brunner are still in the hobby?

oaks1912
06-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Mike, Is it just me, or does Irv Lerner have more hair today than he did in 1970 :confused: It was great seeing you in Culver City a few weeks ago & I'm glad to hear that you're living back on the Coast..... Anthony. I think that Nowell and Brunner are out of the hobby (Brunner was doing records awhile back if I'm not mistaken). Riley sold his vintage collection years back (core of the Copeland collection) but I did see him set up selling new stuff several years back...may have been the last National in Anaheim... Good to hear all of the positive comments on Ray. Its rare on net54 to have all positive reviews to a single personality, but if it's going to happen, this time is sure appropriate