PDA

View Full Version : JP Sports selling Derek Jeter Steiner letters

jimjim
06-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Not sure if any of you are on the JP Sports email list, but I just got an email blast today that included autographed Derek Jeter letters on Steiner Sports letterhead that essentially were authenticating game used items that were supposed to be sold by Steiner. They said blah blah blah "this item is game used and authentic" sincerely Derek Jeter.

I assume a former Steiner Sports employee took them at some point in the past, and just now sold them to JP Sports. JP is selling them for the autograph value. Unfortunately, I see a HUGE opportunity for someone to buy one of these letters and attach them to fake items, and then sell the fake items as game used Jeter items. Just seems too easy. I can't understand why JP thinks it is OK to sell these to the general public.

Big thumbs down in my opnion.

MGHPro
06-04-2013, 08:17 PM
There is also a seller on ebay selling them. JP Sports were all for hats and batting gloves so while people could use them to certify fake items they arent very high end, but there were some very important letters sold on ebay. I think they should be cut and sold as a signature.
Matt

Deertick
06-04-2013, 08:29 PM
A similar issue arose last year with Stan the Man COA's.

Mr. Zipper
06-04-2013, 08:59 PM
I saw those Jeter letters and cringed.

They are so generic and there is no text in the letter indicating the accompanying item is also signed or has a hologram, so they could be matched with anything.

I have seen letters for sale that do mention the item is also signed or has a hologram, so at the very least those would require someone to produce a convincing forgery or hologram to complete the deception.

I hate the idea of cutting sigs, but maybe they could put a stamp on the back indicating the letter is no longer valid as a COA or something similar.

daves_resale_shop
06-05-2013, 04:13 AM
I agree with Steve here...

Steiner should be doing something to protect against someone coupling these coa's with another item... What's even more concerning is why these items are on the market?

Does steiner have Jeter sign them in bulk & then later combine them with an item?

Are there items that these were bundled with that were destroyed?

JPRS is selling them as cuts, and actually gave one away at there stratford show as a door prise a month or two ago (this one was professionally framed and matted of course)...

I saw those Jeter letters and cringed.

They are so generic and there is no text in the letter indicating the accompanying item is also signed or has a hologram, so they could be matched with anything.

I have seen letters for sale that do mention the item is also signed or has a hologram, so at the very least those would require someone to produce a convincing forgery or hologram to complete the deception.

I hate the idea of cutting sigs, but maybe they could put a stamp on the back indicating the letter is no longer valid as a COA or something similar.

sports-rings
06-05-2013, 06:46 AM
I just had a wonderful experience with Barry Valentino.

He's the Auction Director at Steiner Sports.

I will reach out to him right away and make him aware of this.

I also promised I would create a new thread and mention my great dealings with him this week during and after their Internet auction (where the Robinson glove sold for over 300,000).

sports-rings
06-05-2013, 07:11 AM
I just heard from Steiner Sports...

they are aware of this and they are working on this matter!