PDA

View Full Version : Back in the game! M116 Sporting Life questions

hoshua4710
06-04-2013, 03:17 PM
So when i was about 11 or 12 years old, i had a weird obsession with old baseball cards (as in anything pre-1960). I collected for about 5 years, and then stopped, but i still always had the desire to collect. At one point, a good friend that worked at a card shop gave me near-mint M116 Irv Young for $30.00 and although it was a common player, it made me fall in love with the Sporting Life set. Recently I started collecting again and have decided to try and go for a complete set of the M116's. Only problem is, I live in Utah which is 100% deprived of any prewar baseball collectors, and ebay looks to be my only option which as you all know can be quite limiting as to what i can find, although i did just purchase an SGC 6 Mack for a relatively good price. Any ideas as to where to look (auctions, cardshows exc...)?

caramelcard
06-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Hi,

I just completed my M116 set a few weeks ago. Was a very fun project.

As for where to look to find them. Ebay, here, and other auctions on this list:

http://www.net54baseball.com/forum/content/vintagelinks.html

You can use this link for a great checklist that ranks the cards. (8 hardest to 1 easiest I believe)

http://www.oldcardboard.com/m/m116/m116SearchIndex.asp

Good luck and welcome to the board.

Robert

hoshua4710
06-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Congratulations on completing the set, that's a huge accomplishment! How long did that take you? The OldCardboard site is great, ive been using that and a couple of other sites as a guide for the last couple months. If you dont mind me asking, how did you go about accumulating your collection? Did you mainly go through ebay and other internet auctions or did you travel to card shows and whatnot as well? Sorry if im asking too many questions haha, im just trying to map out how im going to do this over the next little bit. Thanks!

Josh

ullmandds
06-04-2013, 05:10 PM
Just my opinion...but you will need to do all of the above to ever complete that set!!! Ebay...where most m116's are likely overpriced bin's...all the auction sites and hope for lots in your range...and ultimately pay big bucks for the real tough variations...if u can find them! Good luck...i love that set!

caramelcard
06-04-2013, 05:20 PM
Yeah, all of the above. It took me 7 years or so I believe. I traded for some and bought a couple small groups.

I think this site will be your best resource along with ebay.

ethicsprof
06-04-2013, 06:42 PM
a gorgeous set. you have chosen wisely.
as a type collector, I try to limit myself to one card per type.
when it came to M116, I had to have 3: a Hughie Jennings with
300 subjects on the back PSA 7 (from Barry Sloate's last auction some years
back) and a PSA 6 bransfield and Crandall (from the ancient BST).
The BST has been quite a good resource for finding various cards along with the auction houses.
all the best and welcome aboard the board,
Barry

rhettyeakley
06-04-2013, 11:43 PM
So when i was about 11 or 12 years old, i had a weird obsession with old baseball cards (as in anything pre-1960). I collected for about 5 years, and then stopped, but i still always had the desire to collect. At one point, a good friend that worked at a card shop gave me near-mint M116 Irv Young for $30.00 and although it was a common player, it made me fall in love with the Sporting Life set. Recently I started collecting again and have decided to try and go for a complete set of the M116's. Only problem is, I live in Utah which is 100% deprived of any prewar baseball collectors, and ebay looks to be my only option which as you all know can be quite limiting as to what i can find, although i did just purchase an SGC 6 Mack for a relatively good price. Any ideas as to where to look (auctions, cardshows exc...)?

You have been given some great advice thus far. eBay, this site, and the major auction houses are the places to go when you live in antique no mans land (Utah), I know as I went to college there (BYU grad) and I currently live in a place that is even worse than Utah as far as access to anything old (Boise). Even living in this area one is able to amass quite a collection. Good luck with your pursuits!
-Rhett

Bored5000
06-05-2013, 01:53 AM
The advice already given in this thread is top notch. Keep your eye on the major auction houses for big lots of M116s. REA had a lot of 239 M116s that went for just under $8,000 with the juice this year. REA also had both of the two big rarities of the set in this year's auction (Amby McConnell's Chicago version and George McQuillan's Cincinnati version), and you probably are going to have to go the auction house route to ever get those two cards.

hoshua4710
06-06-2013, 12:56 PM
Guys thanks for all the advice. Its been a while since ive been doing all this so it really helps getting all of your help. This forum has been the best thing ive done by far!
Josh