PDA

View Full Version : Looking to build my first set

maniac_73
05-30-2013, 08:10 AM
Hey All, I've mainly been a collector of Auto baseball and vintage memorabilia. Recently I've decided that I would like to tackle building my first set. I decided on 56 Topps as I like the pictures and design, Great year for players and it seems to be a more affordable set from that era as my pockets aren't super deep.
I was thinking about collecting SGC graded as I admit I like the holders better then PSA. Is there anty reason against collecting SGC over PSA? I prefer graded over Raw as I don't have the expertise to spot a fake.
Any tips that anyone has on building a set for a first timer? Anything I've missed or should think about?

Thanks everyone and I look forward to shatring my journey as this forum has inspired me!

Zach Wheat
05-30-2013, 08:16 AM
Hey All, I've mainly been a collector of Auto baseball and vintage memorabilia. Recently I've decided that I would like to tackle building my first set. I decided on 56 Topps as I like the pictures and design, Great year for players and it seems to be a more affordable set from that era as my pockets aren't super deep.
I was thinking about collecting SGC graded as I admit I like the holders better then PSA. Is there anty reason against collecting SGC over PSA? I prefer graded over Raw as I don't have the expertise to spot a fake.
Any tips that anyone has on building a set for a first timer? Anything I've missed or should think about?

Thanks everyone and I look forward to shatring my journey as this forum has inspired me!

Maniac,

Hey congrats on that set! The 56 Topps is one of my favorite sets as well. PSA graded cards seem to bring a higher resale value over SGC due to set registry factors.

Once you have purchase some cards, you should be able to spot reprints or fakes from original cards. I bet you will pick those skills up pretty easily. I have not had an issue with purchasing "fake" cards from the 56 set.

Have fun on the quest.

Z Wheat

cubsfan-budman
05-30-2013, 08:24 AM
I would go with SGC if I had to choose between the 2...but for commons especially, I dont think you need to worry about fakes much. So far, for my 1959 set, I've tended to buy the high-dollar cards slabbed, in order to avoid fake cards, as you're planning. But for commons, I just don't think its worth it. The chances of getting fake 1956 commons is super low and buying EVERY card slabbed would be pricey indeed.

vintagetoppsguy
05-30-2013, 08:43 AM
I would go with SGC if I had to choose between the 2...but for commons especially, I dont think you need to worry about fakes much. So far, for my 1959 set, I've tended to buy the high-dollar cards slabbed, in order to avoid fake cards, as you're planning. But for commons, I just don't think its worth it. The chances of getting fake 1956 commons is super low and buying EVERY card slabbed would be pricey indeed.

I absolutely agree. I just completed my first 1956 Topps set. It was mostly raw with the stars SGC graded. Take the advice quoted above. If this is your first set, go mostly raw. You'll save a lot of time and money.

That said, I am working on another '56 Topps set now, but this time it's all SGC graded NM or better. It's my all-time favorite set and that's the only reason that I'm doing it graded this time. I've sold a lot of other stuff to build it.

If you absolutely have to go graded, go SGC. As noted above, PSA cards will bring a higher resale value over SGC cards (for the most part), but when people say that, the part they leave out is that PSA will cost you more upfront.

brob28
05-30-2013, 02:41 PM
Good advice all the way around. I agree with getting star cards graded until you have a good feel for the set. While there may not be a whole lot of counterfeits out there, there are plenty trimmed and altered so starting with some graded cards should help. I finished my set mostly raw last November -for my money one of Topps most beautiful sets.

BTW - David great point on the PSA cost being greater up front, that point is rarely made within the discussion.

vintagebaseballcardguy
05-30-2013, 05:23 PM
I absolutely agree. I just completed my first 1956 Topps set. It was mostly raw with the stars SGC graded. Take the advice quoted above. If this is your first set, go mostly raw. You'll save a lot of time and money.

That said, I am working on another '56 Topps set now, but this time it's all SGC graded NM or better. It's my all-time favorite set and that's the only reason that I'm doing it graded this time. I've sold a lot of other stuff to build it.

If you absolutely have to go graded, go SGC. As noted above, PSA cards will bring a higher resale value over SGC cards (for the most part), but when people say that, the part they leave out is that PSA will cost you more upfront.
Would you recommend this formula for '52 Topps as well? Some of those commons are pricey??

maniac_73
05-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Thanks everyone! Great advice all around. I'm going to start with Raw and maybe get the stars graded. The raw fits better in a binder anyways lol