PDA

View Full Version : Hunt Auction Pickups

npa589
05-29-2013, 09:54 PM
I didn't win this, :eek: ... but --- $6,500+ after BP??? Really?

I know it's upside down, and on the front, but, when I returned home and went to see what it sold for, I had to bat my eyes a few times to make sure I read the number correctly.

http://www.huntauctions.com/phone/imageviewer.cfm?auction_num=111&lot_num=437

Anyone pick something up they needed? I tend to despise Hunt Auctions for multiple reasons:

1. Organization
2. Awful scans
3. Poorly described/inaccurate conditions
4. Many times they do not provide back scans -- which is important for people collecting various backs...especially for T206s

cfc1909
05-29-2013, 10:09 PM
Nate

I agree 100%. They could do a better job for their consignors.

When they had the Drum find it took 3 emails and a phone call to get back scans.

They get some really good consignments though.

The brown Lenox Lajoie
The Drums
The Red Suns in 2010
The consignment that had all the packs of cigarettes along with the cards.
The Cracker Jacks being talked about in a current thread and so on.

I am sure they are aware but it appears they are happy the way things are turning out. Not sure if anyone from Hunt reads the forum.

The t206 errors have come into their own over the past year or so. REA and Hunt are proof of that.

I am sure Johnny's collection has more than doubled in value in the past 6 months...:cool::eek:

brianp-beme
05-29-2013, 10:10 PM
No one with a Brain would spend this much for one crummy card.

Brian

npa589
05-29-2013, 10:19 PM
Nate

I am sure Johnny's collection has more than doubled in value in the past 6 months...:cool::eek:

Ain't that the truth!

Johnny: time to sell? :D :rolleyes:

mighty bombjack
05-29-2013, 10:19 PM
I don't understand that end price. It doesn't compute.

atx840
05-29-2013, 10:42 PM
I was the underbidder and it was a deal at the final price. It has quite the secret.

Tobacco&Gum
05-29-2013, 10:44 PM
I think the price had more to do with the back. Someone got a really great card, congrats!

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s386/TheBabe1918/898ef205-d468-413e-9e74-af809e96d1a7_zps64400a8a.jpg

Tobacco&Gum
05-29-2013, 10:46 PM
I guess I just outed the secret.:)

mrvster
05-29-2013, 11:45 PM
If I had 10 k to dump, it would've been on that card:), card sold for an absolute bargain imho!!! winner is extremely lucky....

ship immediately to sgc....(the one tpg that deserves to slab this card, no offense other graders, they are the ones to deserve to slab, as overprint piedmont front/multi strike piedy back....i'm sure will get similar designation...card is a big card and winner is extremely lucky....I am sorry Chris:(......my heart sank for you....:(

these types of scrap are like finding a diamond in sand.....the hunt is half the fun, but the disappointment can be painful at times:o...

whoed have thunk it???:confused: 100 + year old chase cards....HA HA! I love these cards ...

put that card in Goodwin and i'm sure it would hit 10+ k easy...easy...right now

.......Nate, thanks man!!! my cards are worth more than cash to me right now, but a wagner may persuade me;)....you have become a true force in dealing T206...(.I love the flag btw:))

Brian and the haters....you will see, these are like small pieces of art, true alternative T206,

one man's trash is another man's treasure, one man gathers what another man spills....:D...

THESE CARDS have only started , and will not stop...so might as well accept and move on....and, send me your email, I will take any off your hands;)

Jim...

your insight on this set and the market , is truly ahead of our time, and your understanding of these rarities is beyond many collectors scope ;)

Congrats to the winner of the Brain card....may I have on weekends:p

and all other winners....

t206hound
05-30-2013, 03:07 AM
Wowsers! I saw that there was a WST on the front... But never would have guessed that was on the back. Honestly how can the AH not mention that in the listing or show back scans. At least the ghost that I picked up in a lot a while back was listed as a 'print anomaly.'

toledo_mudhen
05-30-2013, 04:19 AM
Crappy Scan and Crappy Description......

glynparson
05-30-2013, 04:51 AM
And I never would again. For some of the above mentioned reasons. I personally believe they cater to their buyer friends more than their consignors. At least that was my experience. Not mentioning a back like that in this market is truly pathetic.

Jlighter
05-30-2013, 06:41 AM
COOL card.:eek:

I guess I have to start analyzing Hunt's crappy website, instead of their equally crappy Auction Catalogs.

AMBST95
05-30-2013, 06:43 AM
And I never would again. For some of the above mentioned reasons. I personally believe they cater to their buyer friends more than their consignors. At least that was my experience. Not mentioning a back like that in this market is truly pathetic.

I have never consigned a card, but after reading the description and not seeing an image of that back, I would be furious if I had consigned this card. How does a card like that sneak through? I feel sorry for the card's previous owner, who just lost out on a healthy chunk of change.

Runscott
05-30-2013, 09:06 AM
I don't understand that end price. It doesn't compute.

Agreed. A lot of people state these nutty scrap prices are bargains, but apparently only a few people are willing to pay for them. Who are these people? :confused:

Jacklitsch
05-30-2013, 09:19 AM
My take is that the consigner didn't know the significance of the card and probably never will.

Matthew H
05-30-2013, 09:20 AM
Agreed. A lot of people state these nutty scrap prices are bargains, but apparently only a few people are willing to pay for them. Who are these people? :confused:

In the last few years I've seen a few enthusiastic collectors not only buying these, but constantly hyping them in this forum. Most of the time, when one of these goes for an astronomical price, it ends up in the pick-up thread, or underbid with the usual suspects discussing what a deal it was :) (Hi Chris!)

In my opinion, these guys are a good percentage of the people willing to pay the price they are going for these days, and if those guys stopped buying, the price goes back to where it was a few years ago... 1500-2000

I'm sure this how the price of anything in the hobby rises, the difference being the amount of transparency in this case.

MVSNYC
05-30-2013, 09:23 AM
My take is that the consigner didn't know the significance of the card and probably never will.

Steve- when he gets his consignor check he'll realize it. ;)

Jacklitsch
05-30-2013, 09:34 AM
Steve- when he gets his consignor check he'll realize it. ;)

Good point Michael.

atx840
05-30-2013, 09:41 AM
The reason this is a deal to me, not necessarily for investment or future resale, but simply just to own it.

One that goes into the permanent collection.

It's scrap from the start of printing that back. It has 3-5 regular overprints and one upside down 4 corner back. Plus the kicker, for me, an upside down four corner OP on the front. A true gem.

It's a "financial" deal considering the recent sales of similar type scraps....but not a bargain considering how it was listed.

$7500 was the next bid with BP and that was over my limit. This one hurt more then any other I've missed. :(

ullmandds
05-30-2013, 10:19 AM
I ditto what MAtt said!!!!

Gradedcardman
05-30-2013, 10:49 AM
The freedom to express ones opinion. God Bless America !!

So did anyone here win anything else ??

atx840
05-30-2013, 11:10 AM
How does hyping cards as a "deal" we are the underbidder on help us? We are our own enemies by bidding against each other and continually raising these prices.

There are less and less of these out there and feeding our collecting need is getting tougher...so you save up, sell some other hot items and try your best.

We simply love these like everyone else who is a collector and some of us are passionate about sharing why we pick these up....a bit defensive maybe, part of the passion I think...I don't see a hidden agenda from the few of us on here to pump and dump our favorite items.

ullmandds
05-30-2013, 11:19 AM
In this day and age...with price guides being outdated and archaic...the way prices of cards in general increase is by them getting bid up...and for this to happen there must be 2 bidders! The dynamic of pricing is sooooo different today than it was back in the day.

IT's harder than ever to really place a fixed price on a card.

Jaybird
05-30-2013, 11:38 AM
In this day and age...with price guides being outdated and archaic...the way prices of cards in general increase is by them getting bid up...and for this to happen there must be 2 bidders! The dynamic of pricing is sooooo different today than it was back in the day.

IT's harder than ever to really place a fixed price on a card.

Agreed. I like it better this way because you have to determine in your own mind what something is worth. You can use comparisons from auction sales, etc. but really it's left to what it's worth to you. I love it. You either want it for that price or you don't. To me it's somewhat freeing. And people can stop looking to a book for their answers.

To show how much it has changed, we were at a card show a couple weeks ago and Patrick had some cards that he had gotten long ago that were still in the old toploaders. the sticker had 2 prices and was divided in half. It was printed "Book Price" and under that "Our Price". How the times have changed.

Gradedcardman
05-30-2013, 11:49 AM
Well said, Chris. Supply and demand. Basic rules of business.

cfc1909
05-30-2013, 12:07 PM

I think you are correct on this one Steve.

The consignor most likely did not realize what they had because I am sure they looked at the lot once it was up for bidding. They are probably extremely happy with the price not realizing todays error market.

Still enough collectors saw this lot or the hammer would not have been 6k. Still could have brought more with large front and back scans.

Runscott
05-30-2013, 12:17 PM
Still could have brought more with large front and back scans.

Really, better scans and you would have bid more?

Still hearing how the price realized was right (or low), but I only know one board member who pays these prices for scraps, and he doesn't always do it. While I'm certain that hyping these as good deals is not part of any hidden agenda, I do believe that whoever the 2-3 people are who actually are putting their money behind such claims, are unintentionally getting others on the board to begin 'believing' that these are the new market prices. Apparently they are only the new market prices for a few people. Thousands for this stuff? C'mon.

Gradedcardman
05-30-2013, 12:25 PM
I would agree with Jim. The mainline collectors going after set, sure these are not in your wheelhouse. To Johnny's point, a lot of T206 collectors want to broaden their collecting to the scrap and oddball items and of course the rare backs. With a proper back scan and a proper front scan, the card could easily of sold for much more. 2 anomalies on one card, seen together rarely ( I say that because I don't know if their have been more but don't want to be pointed out as a bs'er). Brain is also a fairly popular single as well. Very cool card !!

Runscott
05-30-2013, 12:34 PM
I would agree with Jim. The mainline collectors going after set, sure these are not in your wheelhouse. To Johnny's point, a lot of T206 collectors want to broaden their collecting to the scrap and oddball items and of course the rare backs. With a proper back scan and a proper front scan, the card could easily of sold for much more. 2 anomalies on one card, seen together rarely ( I say that because I don't know if their have been more but don't want to be pointed out as a bs'er). Brain is also a fairly popular single as well. Very cool card !!

So YOU are the board member bidding in the thousands for these?

Other than Chris and the person I alluded to earlier, I'm still not seeing the demand reflected by these prices. My guess is that if these two bidders alone lost interest, the market for such items could begin looking quite different. Others here are marveling at the prices and agreeing with them, but not bidding. Would love to hear from others in this pool of bidders that has established the 'new market value'.

npa589
05-30-2013, 12:48 PM
When I first saw the card, the fact that it was upside down made me wonder what was on the back, and if there were multiple strikes like I've seen on others. I simply assumed that no auction house would fail to mention something like that, and remembered recently that they at least wrote "Printing anomaly" for a ghost image, which was referenced by Erick. There is literally no excuse other than complete ineptitude for not mentioning this. If you become interested in T206s, even if you're are just being introduced to the hobby, you know within about 3 weeks that T206s with errors such as that are worth thousands of dollars. So, I surmise that a back scan was provided once asked for, or buyers close to the area personally viewed the cards.

Great for the buyer, and a sizeable difference of potential income for the consignor. I wouldn't consign a single thing to Hunt Auctions, even if I got the BP as well.

On another note, WHAT A CARD! :eek:

Runscott
05-30-2013, 03:07 PM
Great for the buyer, and a sizeable difference of potential income for the consignor. I wouldn't consign a single thing to Hunt Auctions, even if I got the BP as well.

I have never discussed consignments with Hunt, but the fact that they don't give lots the best exposure is no secret. So I doubt that any consignor is surprised by what they get. My guess is that the benefit of consigning with Hunt is that you send them a pile of stuff and they put it up in a single lot, and you are rid of it - not all auction houses will do this. I've seen some very 'messy' lots in Hunt (and won some of them) - they almost end up being surprise 'grab-bag' lots in some cases.

T206Collector
05-30-2013, 03:07 PM
This is an interesting card, no doubt. But my rule of thumb on these printing "errors" is that if it happened in another set -- say 1930s Goudey or 1950s Topps -- would anyone care?

If the answer is "no", then why does the fact that it happened in T206 matter?

I'll just keep shaking my head as people pursue these, and "nodgrass" and "Murr'y" with more vigor than a true factory error like Magie.

Obviously, collect what interests you, but I just don't understand how the interest here rises beyond a nominal premium.

Gradedcardman
05-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Small supply with some high dollar demand. I don't get why someone buys a Tesla or a 7 series BMW instead of a Camry or an Accord...same principle I guess in the long run. It's all about what you like. Brown Lenox, Brown Old Mill, Overstrike back... Makes sense to me.

atx840
05-30-2013, 03:34 PM
I will gladly pay $2,500+ for ANY signed T206 card that is not already in my collection

collect what interests you, but I just don't understand how the interest here rises beyond a nominal premium.

Me neither :D

Runscott
05-30-2013, 04:16 PM

Bring about $10,000 to the National and I'll give you a great deal on two T206 error cards.

Jlighter
05-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Really, better scans and you would have bid more?

Still hearing how the price realized was right (or low), but I only know one board member who pays these prices for scraps, and he doesn't always do it. While I'm certain that hyping these as good deals is not part of any hidden agenda, I do believe that whoever the 2-3 people are who actually are putting their money behind such claims, are unintentionally getting others on the board to begin 'believing' that these are the new market prices. Apparently they are only the new market prices for a few people. Thousands for this stuff? C'mon.

This sold at Goodwin for 7600.

http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=22901

I think the one sold at Hunts is much nicer and should have a higher premium attached.

No offense Wonka.:)

Peter_Spaeth
05-30-2013, 04:26 PM
"Obviously, collect what interests you, but I just don't understand how the interest here rises beyond a nominal premium."

I feel the same way. Beyond bragging rights on Net 54, I see no intrinsic value to these anomalies, and doubt (but what do I know) they will retain their extreme valuations over time.

dstudeba
05-30-2013, 04:33 PM
This sold at Goodwin for 7600.

http://www.goodwinandco.com/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=22901

I think the one sold at Hunts is much nicer and should have a higher premium attached.

No offense Wonka.:)

But do two people feel that way? Is the winner from the Goodwin auction still in the market for these or do they have their type? Is the underbidder still interested? It is easy for all of us to talk about the worth of these or Baltimore Ruths or Picassos, but how many out there are really going to bid that card above $7600?

sportscardpete
05-30-2013, 04:46 PM

lolol

JeremyW
05-30-2013, 04:47 PM
To me, it seems T-206 white borders are the most collected of pre-war cards. If the Wagner, Plank, Doyle, & Magie are out of your range, the one-of-a-kind "rarities" are the next best thing. They're not for me, but I can understand the wild prices & I'm not surprised by them.

glchen
05-30-2013, 04:48 PM
I think there are more people after these freaks than just a handful. Look at all of the T206 collectors who are going after back runs for specific players. For all we know, they want to add a freak to their back run also. There are a lot of T206 collectors who a lot of dough burning through their pockets, as we can see from sales of rare back commons.

Some of the freaks in T206 like the one that just sold in Hunt, I've never seen outside of low quality 1920s strip cards and the T206 set. Has anyone ever seen a 1933 Goudey like this with multiple stamps like that? I think that's one of the things that makes the price go up. There are a small, but decent supply of these so multiple collectors think that it's possible for them to own one. If there were just one known, people would probably just write it off. However, because there is a small supply, it's possible to put this on your checklist.

Frankly, I think that these are pretty cool looking also. I'd like to own one also, but probably wouldn't pay more than 1-2K for one. I'm sure there are other collectors like me, but that sets a floor for the prices for these cards, where the really enthusiastic collectors can drive them to sky high levels.

wonkaticket
05-30-2013, 04:55 PM
The card was neat no doubt.

Perhaps Hunt should spend more time putting up a website and images vs. worrying about strong arming dealers to not display at other local card shows.:rolleyes:

These are cool and I pick them up when I can if the price I feel is fair. I don’t feel these are "blue chip" by any means and more a very neat but thinly traded novelty item. They do give a really cool insight into the production and printing process of the cards we love and that makes them special.

For me I would say I don’t think it went super cheap. In fact had I seen this card I could see myself bidding so perhaps some money was left on the table? But who knows. However no amazing deal was had but that’s just my 2 cents.

I also think it’s just a matter of time before we see this card again for sale, so a second chance will be had.

Cheers,

John

tbob
05-30-2013, 05:09 PM
No one with a Brain would spend this much for one crummy card.

Brian

+1. No offense to the winning bidder but, really??? Some guy at the factory reports to work drunk one day and ruins a sheet of cards by running them back and forth in the press and 100 years later it goes for $6500?
Oh well, to each his own....

Tobacco&Gum
05-30-2013, 05:38 PM
+1. No offense to the winning bidder but, really??? Some guy at the factory reports to work drunk one day and ruins a sheet of cards by running them back and forth in the press and 100 years later it goes for $6500?
Oh well, to each his own....

I've heard that these sheets were perhaps used to calibrate the press, so the printer used it again and again to do so. When the back was too covered he flipped it over and used the other side. Then someone rescued them for the printer's floor, and over 100 years later here they are.

If this is in fact the case, these cards are extremely unique to the set, and a huge part of the sets history. JMO

CW
05-30-2013, 05:52 PM
$7500 was the next bid with BP and that was over my limit. This one hurt more then any other I've missed. :(

Being relatively new to AH bidding, the one aspect that sucks is the large bid increment you are forced to make once an item gets up in price.

Factoring in the BP makes it even more costly to place that one higher bid. I realize this is the way the game is played, but it would be easier to stay within budget and still win some cards if the bid increments were smaller (eg. $100 increments up to $10K). Maybe I'm in the minority with this thinking. :confused:

Peter_Spaeth
05-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Being relatively new to AH bidding, the one aspect that sucks is the large bid increment you are forced to make once an item gets up in price.

Factoring in the BP makes it even more costly to place that one higher bid. I realize this is the way the game is played, but it would be easier to stay within budget and still win some cards if the bid increments were smaller (eg. $100 increments up to $10K). Maybe I'm in the minority with this thinking. :confused:

At the same time, you are less likely to get outbid if you lock up a strong bid level.

MVSNYC
05-30-2013, 06:52 PM
This is an interesting card, no doubt. But my rule of thumb on these printing "errors" is that if it happened in another set -- say 1930s Goudey or 1950s Topps -- would anyone care?

If the answer is "no", then why does the fact that it happened in T206 matter?

T206Collector- your philosophy doesn't hold water at all, IMO. you can't compare T206 to other sets. same question back at ya, can you compare signed T206's to signed 1950's Topps? no way. T206 is a special animal...you should know this.

packs
05-30-2013, 07:04 PM
I would pay $45 for that card.

MattyC
05-30-2013, 07:29 PM
At the same time, you are less likely to get outbid if you lock up a strong bid level.

Peter, this is so true. Just learned it first hand. I had one bid left to make last night and it wound up occupying a critical slot. I think that in large part helped me out.

Matthew H
05-30-2013, 07:34 PM
I could be wrong, but it seems like most of the 206 freaks that come up for auction, end up in the pick-up thread. All rare cards have a thin market. What's interesting to me is that most of the market for these freaks seem to be board members that aren't particularly private with what they are buying. They all seem to be friends, and I'm sure they bid each other up! The freaks are an interesting anomaly, and the group of collectors after them are interesting too!

perezfan
05-30-2013, 07:43 PM
I don't personally see it, but maybe these printing error cards are just beginning to reach their potential (in terms of dollar value).

Such "freaks" are even more coveted in stamp and coin collecting, with a far greater premium paid for most examples. Here's one of the more famous ones...

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/Home/4/1/73/1014?articleID=50832

Perhaps Baseball Error Cards are finally starting build some steam and catch up? I believe that these anomalies will become more valuable/desirable with each year that passes (and may not always be so thinly traded).

Matthew H
05-30-2013, 07:44 PM
Good point.

ullmandds
05-30-2013, 07:47 PM
I guess it's just part of the evolution of the hobby?! I mean why are collectibles...collectible? Because most were discarded...played with...used and abused?! These freaks and miscues should have been thrown away...but weren't...so while this stuff was viewed in the past as the garbage it was intended to be...it survived...so now it is very collectible.

Def not my cup of tea...but it is what it is!!!

T206Collector
05-30-2013, 07:51 PM
T206Collector- your philosophy doesn't hold water at all, IMO. you can't compare T206 to other sets. same question back at ya, can you compare signed T206's to signed 1950's Topps? no way. T206 is a special animal...you should know this.

If you have a 1953 Topps signed Satchel Paige or Jackie Robinson, I'd be happy to trade you a signed T206 for it.

Autographs are not everyone's cup of tea, but their interest level goes beyond signed T206 cards.

Printing anomolies in baseball cards spike wicked high on T206 -- why not other sets?

MVSNYC
05-30-2013, 08:09 PM
The word is "sexy". plain and simple, T206 cards are sexier than any other set. you can't deny this, as you are a T206 "nut" yourself...you know what i mean. can't fully explain it, but the set has mucho sex appeal.

CW
05-30-2013, 08:15 PM
If you have a 1953 Topps signed Satchel Paige or Jackie Robinson, I'd be happy to trade you a signed T206 for it.

Autographs are not everyone's cup of tea, but their interest level goes beyond signed T206 cards.

Printing anomolies in baseball cards spike wicked high on T206 -- why not other sets?

Here's one way to look at it... you personally have offered $2500+ for any signed T206 not in your collection. Hypothetically, you'd pay over $2500 for a signed Harry Pattee card (likely much more), but if Mr. Pattee had signed a rare program or a vintage ticket, you would never pay that much for his signature. Part of it, as already mentioned, is the mystique of T206, and the crazy people that collect her. :)

Peter_Spaeth
05-30-2013, 08:30 PM
I would pay $45 for that card.

If I couldn't resell it, I wouldn't. :D:D I think the value is principally social, largely driven by this forum and people talking each other up. Just my .02

T206Collector
05-30-2013, 08:37 PM
I can follow y'all to a degree, of course. But I'd pay well over $1,000 for a signed E92 or E95 of anyone. Heck, I love my signed T201 collection.

It's parallel, but not the same thing.

martindl
05-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Errors & pre-production ( scraps, tests, prototypes ) generally carry a hefty premium in most mass-produced collectible fields - stamps, coins, records, toys, books, etc. Why not cards?

Errors, tests and prototypes (proofs) have long carried a premium. I thinks it's a natural evolution that scraps would follow.

mrvster
05-30-2013, 09:02 PM
I got halfway through this thread and couldn't read anymore....

I will put my reputation on the line here...

A card of such magnitude would bring 15 K plus in REA with more than 12 bidders at least....maybe 20 bidders...

I could care less what Scott, Peter, or any other hater would say....

Scott, your just pissed off you dumped them years ago for a song:eek:.....hurts, but pull up the the big boy pants and move on....

:)

Peace

JOHN VANDERBECK

Sean
05-30-2013, 09:04 PM

A card of such magnitude would bring 15 K plus in REA with more than 12 bidders at least....maybe 20 bidders...

Scott, your just pissed off you dumped them years ago for a song:eek:.....hurts, but pull up the the big boy pants and move on....

Peace

JOHN VANDERBECK

Johhny, no need to get riled. Some of us value scraps and errors, some don't. If everyone wanted them I couldn't afford them. :D

mrvster
05-30-2013, 09:19 PM
It BOTHERS me to no end.....

I have to read constant Griping about the of ignorant board members putting down cards they HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE ABOUT....:mad:

uhhhh....is this a wst????:D is this a bleed through???uhhhh...i'll give you $40 for it:p

DUH!!!

I'll take all of them for $45.00 each:D

SO I AGREE

SEND ME YOUR SCRAP!!!THEY ARE NO GOOD......THEY ARE WORTH ONLY PENNIES:p

email me and we can work something out:D.....

These test scraps don't deserve to be in any ignorant collectors possession

JOHN VANDERBECK

JOHN VANDERBECK

:mad:

Sean
05-30-2013, 09:23 PM
:D:D:eek::D:D

Matthew H
05-30-2013, 09:39 PM

Peace

JOHN VANDERBECK

I don't doubt your analysis at all.... what would this card have brought in REA 4 years ago? All I'm saying is that it seems the more recent bidding pool has driven it to that level, and it's not a ton of guys, it's a few here...

mrvster
05-30-2013, 09:51 PM
in all due respect, you have no clue about the market for these cards....

I have been getting blown up by collectors who didn't see the card, and they i'm sure would have gone balls to the wall, this card would have gone triple possibly.....find another one HA

YOU CAN"T

....and the "thin" market is quite "thickening" by the hour....I almost wish it wasn't occurring....these cards are well outta my reach now....I cannot afford the cards I love, yes it increases the value of my collection, but at this point I really don't care!!

I don't want to sell them(unless wags is around:D)

Jamie, I haven't heard from you......

I know that card would have went nuts if you joined!!!:)

MVSNYC
05-30-2013, 10:08 PM
Slightly OT...you guys watching these T206 Drums in Legendary?

wonkaticket
05-30-2013, 10:14 PM
Slightly OT...you guys watching these T206 Drums in Legendary?

Yep, good times.

Leon
05-30-2013, 10:29 PM
Has anyone ever seen a 1933 Goudey like this with multiple stamps like that?

I got my one freak T206 and that is all I really wanted to pay up for.

As for Goudey, there are probably a few around...

CW
05-30-2013, 10:29 PM
Peter, this is so true. Just learned it first hand. I had one bid left to make last night and it wound up occupying a critical slot. I think that in large part helped me out.

What did you pick up, Matt?

atx840
05-30-2013, 10:32 PM
If anyone is in need of a nice graded Drum for 10k let me know...Ill even throw in a blank back of the same player. :D

Johnny...we know what's up :D

Error/proof/scrap collectors look at the set different and likely most wont get what we find so special that we will spend thousands to get the ALC junk....I respect that, to each there own. I have never had heart palpitations over a PSA 8...of anything or any other type.....but when I saw that back pic my heart was pounding.....I was nervous for days leading up to the closing. I watched it close as the underbidder and am still a bit upset. All part of the fun of the hunt.

We all likely have cards that do this to us, I sure hope everyone does and we should all respect that....thats the beauty of this hobby....so many types and ways to collect and equally so many different kinds of people...all connected by old cardboard. We are all a little crazy in our own little way.

MVSNYC
05-30-2013, 10:35 PM
Chris- don't sell yourself short...it's $12K w/ juice ;)

Matthew H
05-30-2013, 10:37 PM
Johnny, I believe you, since you are the expert. I'm speaking from the outside looking in. I have been around long enough to see the price explode... It happened pretty recently. The price boom happened just as a few new collectors stepped in. I'm sure a few more have stepped in since.

The market takes a specialized eye so I ask you, Why is that card worth 3x more then this one:

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=21804

Runscott
05-30-2013, 11:02 PM

Peace

JOHN VANDERBECK

You've seen a lot of scrap, and that's great, but you also toss about huge numbers when discussing them. Since this is a discussion board, I'm discussing my thoughts about those numbers, and quite frankly - they are ridiculous. As far as 'big boy pants', you can take care of your own nether regions, and I'll take care of mine. Diapers, lederhosen - whatever turns you on - I won't say a word.

mrvster
05-30-2013, 11:12 PM
I really don't mean to get so upset when I have to read "scrap" bashing....

and the market for them....

Scott is a true hobby veteran, and knows better....I am disappointed how off he really is and why??:confused:

The Mc Graw scrap went SUPER cheap.....

I know who consigned it to REA, and the person expected at least 10 K for it, but it fell real short.....collectors have not even realized the significance of these types of "errors" , in the case of the McGraw, the "test" run of the sheet...actually, multiple sheets.....on the back of this scrap ......there are approx. 15 of these type floating around....an obvious sheet where as the printer was setting up the print runs/ filling ink wells/ aligning sheets/ ect...

printer grabbed the McGraw sheet, but only used the back.....these type, like the McGraw has the player runs horizontal on the sheets offset enough to "piece" together partial sheets....that's why these particular type of scrap are so interesting.....they are essentially "missing puzzle pieces" to the insight of the history/ print design of the sheets ....the clues are lost in time....the McGraw is part of that approx. 10 or so of this "missing " puzzle...Jamie owns 2, Dan owns one, Hank another, ect ect....I AM JEALOUS OF THESE because about 8 years ago, I lost 2 examples on ebay for $400.00 each.....another sickening loss of mine over the years.....anyway, McGraw ACTUALLY WENT FOR LESS THAN HALF OF WHAT IT SHOULD HAVE......

If you are following any kinds of T206 trends, thesere appreciating exponentially(RARE BACKs, WAGS, PLANK, RARITIES, ECT)...so essentially the same rates of growth apply to the anomalies....

as the collector interest in these particular rarities increase/so does demand/ supply is EXTREMELY short....like stated before, simple economics....there are like I said less that prob 15 like the McGraw.....

take for, example, upside down back(factory cut, not scrap).....much RARER THAN BL 460......'

YES

RARER than BL 460....they will catch up in pricing and exceed inmho as the advanced collector will yearn for SOMETHING different.....

phew...

the reason the McGraw went so cheap, there are a few of these seen over the years but the bidding for that card was Extremely weak......

BRAIN

printer used BOTH SIDES OF THE SCRAP SHEET(most scrap only have the overprints on one side if they are found) to set up the presses.....obviously multiple times both front and backwards and prob twenty or so different set ups for the piedy designated backs.....

after the sheet was abused by the printer, it was tossed aside showing all the battle scars.....inadventanly, the printer actually had created an "alternative" T206 sheet, which miraculously was salvaged either by a garbage picker, or someone at home when the sheet traveled home....

the sheet had survived much brutality to yield a virtually unique T206....unless ther are other survivors off the sheet, the brain is the only survivor from that pyschadelic sheet....

a diamond being produced out of a piece of coal might be a good analogy...

these are truly the future of T206 collecting inmho....

future looks bright

Matthew H
05-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Johnny... So It's unique. It's the only example from it's sheet.

Did anyone get back scans of the rest of the cards? I see a couple in the bottom row that look like they might be hand cut.

mrvster
05-30-2013, 11:28 PM
You were on your way to actually writing the book on these cards....I always, and still do, respect your opinion.....but over the years, you have basically "turned" on these types of cards....I can not figure out why/how:confused: since evening owning SOME HUGE CARDS such as the Downey overprint(iv been trying to pry that out of the current owners hands for a few years now).....The Dorner Multi Strike back, and countless other "Huge" scrap/ print anamolies....you know how rare some of these examples are, and the only way I can figure out the animosity toward them is the fact you sold yourself short on them and are having seller's remorse:confused: like in the case of you selling the bl 460's....it's no different, but you don't admit it, why?????????? that's why I said to pull up the big boy pants cause I can't take the scrap bashing from a hobby veteran....

I know Peter hates T206 altogether, so I let that alone:)

but you, I am quite confused that you are still down playing these after all these years???

I know these are all opinions, but if anyone knows about their rarity, it is you...

Runscott
05-30-2013, 11:30 PM
Scott is a true hobby veteran, and knows better....I am disappointed how off he really is and why??:confused:

Johnny, it is all very confusing. Luckily, this is just a discussion forum where cardboard collectors toss their opinions around, so no one should lose too much sleep over any of it. My opinion is certainly just that - you could always prove me wrong by getting into a bidding war with one of the 'big boy pants' guys, and turning those numbers of yours into facts.

mrvster
05-30-2013, 11:35 PM
any time!! I will gladly try my best to explain why/how these were created and the particular rarity levels....which should directly reflect an approx. market value.....

YES!!!

BRAIN is a ONE of A kind T206(unless another Brain or player arises from that particular sheet salvaged from the garbage/print floor over a hundred years ago is amazing in itself:eek:....even is another does come to light, chances are the over prints will be different creating what I have termed "snowflake " scrap....meaning, each scrap is unique unto itself, even originating from the same sheet, they are cut/ struck / offset differently from card to card.....

creating even similar scrap to be unique:cool:

mrvster
05-30-2013, 11:43 PM
I must appoligize for getting so defensive and sensitive about the scrap.....they are truly "misfits" and are mis understood....their rarity is shadowed by factory issued pre planned cards....these scraps are the abstract art anomalies created accidentally as you know and can be SUPER CONFUSING.....but you are one that can help advance the knowledge of them....

I have not been bidding on any because they are very sadly outta reach and it really is killing me.:o I would have loved to own/ or even bid on the Brain card.....I am very happy for the new owner....and am sorry Chris didn't get it....It took me years to find my Chance CYCLE front no name piedy back overprint....I LOVE THAT CARD....

sorry for my rants tonite!!

PLEASE GET BACK TO US SCOTT:)

Runscott
05-30-2013, 11:52 PM
You were on your way to actually writing the book on these cards....I always, and still do, respect your opinion.....but over the years, you have basically "turned" on these types of cards....I can not figure out why/how:confused: since evening owning SOME HUGE CARDS such as the Downey overprint(iv been trying to pry that out of the current owners hands for a few years now).....The Dorner Multi Strike back, and countless other "Huge" scrap/ print anamolies....you know how rare some of these examples are, and the only way I can figure out the animosity toward them is the fact you sold yourself short on them and are having seller's remorse:confused: like in the case of you selling the bl 460's....it's no different, but you don't admit it, why?????????? that's why I said to pull up the big boy pants cause I can't take the scrap bashing from a hobby veteran....

I know Peter hates T206 altogether, so I let that alone:)

but you, I am quite confused that you are still down playing these after all these years???

I know these are all opinions, but if anyone knows about their rarity, it is you...

Where in the world are you coming up with this stuff? Just because I think the numbers you throw around are rubbish, doesn't mean I have "animosity" toward printer scrap. That's about the weirdest logic I've seen from you yet.

mrvster
05-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Btw...

no other scrap in the lot...

I have devoted most of my collecting efforts to finding them.....If you ever want an opinion on a scrap, shoot me an email anytime....I will give you an honest opinion.....

LEON

has one of the best scraps, and what I call the ROSETTA T206......which even ties a Ghosted Young and the elusive brown OM....just a breathtaking card!! ties many backs together....even his card only has the multi strike on one side....btw...can you also feed my need for the Matty type I:)

Chris

I am still upset for you....I think that gem will come your way at the national;)

wish I was going.....Id buy scott a brew and everyone else

PLEASE POST LEON

mrvster
05-30-2013, 11:57 PM
:confused:I am a freak like the cards I collect:D

no one can predict what a card will go for at auction......but I have been pretty close on most;)...

hard to determine on one of a kinds......depends who shows up that day....

but I have felt you downplaying them for quite some time now....why:confused:

I know most are ignorant to them, but you have/had somewhat of a clue, what happened??:confused:

Runscott
05-31-2013, 12:08 AM
I must appoligize for getting so defensive and sensitive about the scrap.....they are truly "misfits" and are mis understood....their rarity is shadowed by factory issued pre planned cards....these scraps are the abstract art anomalies created accidentally as you know and can be SUPER CONFUSING.....but you are one that can help advance the knowledge of them....

I have not been bidding on any because they are very sadly outta reach and it really is killing me.:o I would have loved to own/ or even bid on the Brain card.....I am very happy for the new owner....and am sorry Chris didn't get it....It took me years to find my Chance CYCLE front no name piedy back overprint....I LOVE THAT CARD....

sorry for my rants tonite!!

PLEASE GET BACK TO US SCOTT:)

Johnny, the t206 printing process interests me. But if I didn't want to spend $500 on a piece of scrap ten years ago, why would I want to spend $5,000 for a similar card today? I owned examples of most scrap back then, studied them intently, and published a paper. Since then I haven't seen too much new in that area. I've learned more since then, but acquiring additional knowledge did not require that I spend loads of money - that's mostly due to all the new T206 collectors who have joined the hobby and shared their research with us.

It's a difference of opinion, but if I have $6,000 to spend on a collectible item, and can choose between either the T206 scrap in question, or some of the other things in my collection, it's really a no-brainer.

This thread was about a particular scrap and it's value. I stated my opinion - I have no earthly idea how that turned into you thinking I felt "animosity" toward scraps. I still think they are interesting - I just don't place the same value on them as you and some others. I have been offered pretty good money for a couple of 'error' T206 cards in my collection, and I turned down one offer because I thought it would be stupid for the collector to pay me that much.

Runscott
05-31-2013, 12:11 AM
I don't personally see it, but maybe these printing error cards are just beginning to reach their potential (in terms of dollar value).

Such "freaks" are even more coveted in stamp and coin collecting, with a far greater premium paid for most examples. Here's one of the more famous ones...

http://net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=101108&stc=1&d=1369963940

Perhaps Baseball Error Cards are finally starting build some steam and catch up? I believe that these anomalies will become more valuable/desirable with each year that passes (and may not always be so thinly traded).

I have to admit, I do have a fondness for that stamp :)

Runscott
05-31-2013, 12:14 AM
but I have felt you downplaying them for quite some time now....why:confused:

There is a synapse in your brain that isn't connecting correctly: it is taking my disagreement with you over the value of scraps and equating that to me hating scraps. It's really quite a weird logic leap, but I've explained it now in several posts and you aren't getting it.

By the way - no animosity toward you either. I think it's great that you have such a passion for these cards. We should team up as 'card guys' and go attack the game-used collectors. It would be healthier for us.

mrvster
05-31-2013, 05:14 AM
;)is hitting it on the head....these will mimic the coin collecting parallel anomalies and stamp error values....just took a little time to catch on with collectors...

Scott,

Of course I respect your opinion.....and again sorry for getting so heated, but I think you do understand my logic....My firing synaps at this level do go nuts when I do hear any scrap getting a bad rap:)......

stop the scrap hating!:D

If I was joining you and Chris at the national, I 'd have you hunt me down a few of these beauties that are flying under the radar....

maybe you still can hunt for me Scott there??;)

MVSNYC
05-31-2013, 05:34 AM
I have to say, over the last few years, I also thought the numbers Johnny was throwing around (5K, 8K, 10K, etc) were ridiculous...BUT, we've seen first hand recently with the sales of these scraps/errors that he knew what he was talking about. the prices realized are insane...but they are legit.

mrvster
05-31-2013, 06:27 AM
Thanks my bro....you have been living through it:) bitter- sweet almost in a way I guess:confused:......we used to think it was just a handful after these.....but there are many more joining by the day....I hate throwing around any number, but predictions are directly correlated to supply and demand in simple economic terms(sorry i'm a business school graduate)....the demand will simply increase on these, while the supply will become even tighter as the population realizes their significance to the set, the rarirty, besides the just plain :cool: factor....haters keep hatn' i'll keep a lovn':)

Leon
05-31-2013, 06:49 AM
....btw...can you also feed my need for the Matty type I:)

Just for you Johnny. I love your passion my friend...I suppose this is the type 1....?

http://luckeycards.com/pt206mattyproofandregularx2.jpg

scooter729
05-31-2013, 06:58 AM
I don't have an opinion on the T206 scraps, but I am extremely surprised that other sets from the era don't see prices at least in the ballpark for their scrap.

For instance, I bought this E92 missing color on eBay within the past year for $85. If this were a T206, I assume it would be several thousand?

Should the price disparity be THAT big??

MVSNYC
05-31-2013, 07:18 AM
Johnny has Type I Cardboardism

...There's no cure. ;)

atx840
05-31-2013, 07:34 AM
We have seen common low grade Drums and RH hitting 10k+ prices, BL350s going to 3k. Two multi strike scraps this year hitting $6500,$7600 a miscut front hitting $4700 and one at $9600. Test prints at 9k. What would Leon's cards go for now? Jeff's miscut Cobb?

Johnny was predicting these prices two years ago when I started. Now they are a reality and we haven't even seen the BIG errors come up yet :D

Never say never.

For the record I don't own any of these crazy types, I highly dislike these prices and if it meant my error cards market value dropped to 1/4 but so did the rest I would be a happier collector.

npa589
05-31-2013, 07:40 AM
Johnny has Type I Cardboardism

...There's no cure. ;)

Love this...

Runscott
05-31-2013, 08:07 AM
;)is hitting it on the head....these will mimic the coin collecting parallel anomalies and stamp error values....just took a little time to catch on with collectors...

Scott,

Of course I respect your opinion.....and again sorry for getting so heated, but I think you do understand my logic....My firing synaps at this level do go nuts when I do hear any scrap getting a bad rap:)......

stop the scrap hating!:D

If I was joining you and Chris at the national, I 'd have you hunt me down a few of these beauties that are flying under the radar....

maybe you still can hunt for me Scott there??;)

I would be afraid to go anywhere near a scrap - someone might kill me to get it, or knowing I had bought one, murder me in my sleep. These things have gotten dangerous.

T206Collector
05-31-2013, 08:11 AM
I don't have an opinion on the T206 scraps, but I am extremely surprised that other sets from the era don't see prices at least in the ballpark for their scrap.

For instance, I bought this E92 missing color on eBay within the past year for $85. If this were a T206, I assume it would be several thousand?

Exactly! If the phenomenon is limited to T206, then it is not scrap collecting -- it is weirdo-T206 collecting. Nothing wrong with that, but even I don't limit my pursuit of signed prewar to T206.

Promotion is a double-edged sword. I love sharing my signed T206 conquests here and on my website. But it certainly has raised interest and prices for these. Good when I go to sell, of course, but bad in the near term.

bn2cardz
05-31-2013, 08:47 AM

Exactly! If the phenomenon is limited to T206, then it is not scrap collecting -- it is weirdo-T206 collecting. Nothing wrong with that, but even I don't limit my pursuit of signed prewar to T206.

Promotion is a double-edged sword. I love sharing my signed T206 conquests here and on my website. But it certainly has raised interest and prices for these. Good when I go to sell, of course, but bad in the near term.

I like that e92 and would have scooped it up if I noticed it. You are right though, t206 prices for scrap compared to their common counterpart is astronomical compared to other sets. Even t205s get a premium but no where near where its counterpart in the t206 would get. I would think the natural move would be that people that do like scrap but can't afford t206 may navigate to another niche in the t206 world or they will have to go into other sets. So it may be that t206 is just leading the way for other sets.

ullmandds
05-31-2013, 08:48 AM
This has turned into an interesting debate! I'm still a few steps over to Scott and Peter's side here...it seems ridiculous and irrational that freaks and scraps from other sets of the same era get pretty much no respect as compared to t206. It's a mania...people have gone manic over anything and everything T206...and that's fine...that's good for the hobby I suppose.

But there are tons of other unique/one/close to one of a kind cards...it's gotten to the point where many collectors consider every vintage card to be one of a kind because it's condition and print characteristics are unique to itself alone.

"It's the only sgc 20 with ink blotch by his head in existence!"

I still believe that in no way will the t206 price trend continue well into the future...NO WAY!!!!

tonyo
05-31-2013, 09:16 AM
This is one of my favorite threads recently (along with the Dots Miller thread).
It seems to have a bit of everything.

One thing I'm curious about; the auction description didn't have a photo of the backs, but several people must've asked for a shot of the backs. Is it the fact that the Brain card had the piedmont print on the front that made people suspect there might be gold on the back?

Loved this by Chris:
We all likely have cards that do this to us, I sure hope everyone does and we should all respect that....thats the beauty of this hobby....so many types and ways to collect and equally so many different kinds of people...all connected by old cardboard. We are all a little crazy in our own little way.

Johnny I do appreciate your enthusiasm for the printer scraps and the descriptive explanation. Made me sit up and take notice.............. I have a few t206's in my modest monster that I consider uniquely interesting (due to stamps or random handwriting or the like), and I do enjoy those. I can see the attraction.

Leon would you mind posting your t206 printer scrap? I really thought it was cool the first time I saw it and would love to see it one more time.

Thanks,
Tony

Runscott
05-31-2013, 09:26 AM
T206 scraps have become their own individual 'set' to collect. It is easy to group them into different types and there are a lot of them compared to other card types. The fact that there are 524 cards in their parent set also makes a big difference. To me it is a no-brainer as to why they get so much attention compared to other scraps. I just don't see some of the non-aesthetically-pleasing ones as being worth so much. But they are to some people, and that's great.

Runscott
05-31-2013, 09:30 AM
By the way,Johnny - almost all the t206 cards in my personal collection have something wrong with them, so to say that I have "turned" on them is absurd. I have even paid a premium for a few freaks that I still have.

Just because I'm not sleeping with you doesn't mean I don't love you :)

atx840
05-31-2013, 09:50 AM
It's a big set with a long print run. Millions and millions printed, very durable paper with bold colors that lasted. There are just more errors out there from that set....enough show up to keep people interested and keep The demand going.

Either you dig them or you don't.

The front scan showed enough for me to know it was a factory print and not a WST. That's all I was going for and valued it at 2-3k (that's low). I had a suspicion the back was also messed up as the front OP was upside down and off center....not a cylinder transfer but a true test print sheet.

Hunt sent me this and that's what made this card jump to the final price.

http://i.imgur.com/7Kji96O.jpg

Leon
05-31-2013, 09:51 AM
Leon would you mind posting your t206 printer scrap? I really thought it was cool the first time I saw it and would love to see it one more time.

Thanks,
Tony

Always glad to oblige, Tony. There might be someone in Kenya who hasn't see it yet :). I am so glad I got it before the freaks took off. If I am not mistaking this is STILL the highest price ever paid for a T206 scrap. Someone correct me if I am wrong please...It was $9780 around 4-5 yrs ago. I think it would go higher today...but who knows??

http://luckeycards.com/pt206ghostmultioverprint2.jpg

wonkaticket
05-31-2013, 10:00 AM
This thread is interesting. Neat to see what drives others and why I have always taken the stance that all of our collectibles are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. ;)

I have a modest collection of mistakes, errors and oddballs compared to others.

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn3/net54shared/giant/Errors.jpg

For me on these I sort of take the stance if I can get a really nice example of each type that’s great. Also if I can get it for a price I feel is within reason that’s an added bonus. I don’t see myself needing or wanting dozens upon dozens of these or facing choices of dropping say 10-20k on one of these as compared to a major tier card of a superstar or scarce type card.

http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn3/net54shared/large/T215.jpg

The buying pool isn’t limited to the few that post here while I agree the pool may be smaller say compared to other items it’s not that small.

I also agree that having a few strong bidders enter the fray can seriously tweak prices and those prices can fall. Case in point we have seen this with plenty of cards and it would be silly to think that these are immune from the rise and fall that have hit other cards such as T211, T210, T209B&W, E-Cards, and certain 19th Cards etc.

Cheers,

John

atx840
05-31-2013, 10:30 AM
True beauties John.

Most of these are getting beyond the usual suspects on this forum's budgets...we sit and watch several a month go. Its really not like we are enjoying these sky high prices.:eek:

On a much smaller, positive note I was able to reunite these sheetmates after 100 years.

http://i.imgur.com/KSjgptG.jpg

wonkaticket
05-31-2013, 10:44 AM
That's cool Chris.

tonyo
05-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Very nice John.

Is the Magie portrait grouped with the rest in your photo only because it is the famous spelling error, or is there some other printer error associated with this card?

ullmandds
05-31-2013, 10:50 AM
great cards chris and john...modest my ass!!!

wonkaticket
05-31-2013, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the kind words, it's just the plain ol' error Magie.

Cheers,

John

mrvster
05-31-2013, 01:18 PM
FINALLY GELLED!!

I have to say, I waited all day to check on this thread....I'm glad it was started and sorry for the little bitch fest of mine:o

I will read more comments later...

I was gonna ask Leon to post that again and those 2 cards are some of my favorites of all time....

Peter I have much love for...

SCOTT YOU ARE BACKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!:D;)

That's the Scott I KNOW!!

I may be crazy....I am obsessed with these....

BTW...I truly dig scrap in other sets, I believe in due time they will get attention also(as long as the sets they are in become popular)

Chris John....:eek: I am envious of your scrap!!

you 2 have COME A LONG WAY ON THIS SCENE....

your cards are just FXXXing RIDIC!!!
many more will follow

trust me on this...

more from me later, i'm having scrap(not crap) seizures seeing these images:p

Peter_Spaeth
05-31-2013, 01:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-lJZiqZaGA

:D:D:D

CW
05-31-2013, 06:32 PM
John and Chris, you are sick men.

And I mean that as the highest compliment.

:cool:

Runscott
05-31-2013, 07:11 PM
This really is a great thread - I love to see Johnny show the occasional negative emotion (it doesn't happen often). Chris is a very subdued version of Johnny, but he definitely has the scrap bug.

I have not told many people this, but the reason my monster number is so small, despite the fact that I basically only collect photos and T206's, is that the only T206's I allow in my collection are 'oddball's - two names (6 have 2 different names), ghosts (2) - and they are sweet ones, missing ink, wrong back colors, two factories, tough backs, etc. So I'm not a purist freak collector, in that I would rather spend thousands on several rare photos as opposed to one piece of scrap, I'm in the general area. Given how many T206's have passed through my hands, it really enhances the collecting experience to build the set the way I'm doing it. When I hit 522 (no Wagner or Doyle), it should be quite the oddball grouping.

Peter_Spaeth
05-31-2013, 07:21 PM
Back men out, scrap men in. :D

T206Collector
05-31-2013, 08:28 PM
Back men out, scrap men in. :D

I never cared much for backs either. :D

Does anybody on here now have my old Frank Baker missing blue?

mrvster
05-31-2013, 11:00 PM
This has turned out to be a great thread! I hate flying off the handle, but I'm like the number one scrap advocate:)

Scott.....I know you collect oddball T206 and I think i'm still mad I didn't pick up all those sweet scrap you used to own;)....I still remember the Downey, and how cool it looked, but 10 years ago at $750.00 I almost did it......and the dorner multi strike sweet cap back, which took me 9 more years to find another.....don't mean to bring up the past:o

your a collector, I have always looked up to and still do.......sorry for being a hot head:o

scrap and the freaks make me not think sometimes......:o....as you guys know...

Leon is the man, and thanks for all the compliments from everyone...

The God's honest truth is the cards really can't be enjoyed as much , if it not for this forum to share info.....and every single collector I have met have been the greatest people.....I will add more tom and maybe some scrap:D

botn
05-31-2013, 11:10 PM
This has turned out to be a great thread! I hate flying off the handle, but I'm like the number one scrap advocate:)

And the number one user of emoticons.

RCMcKenzie
06-01-2013, 12:07 AM
It's an interesting debate and the cards are cool looking and worth what people will pay for them.

Argument A- The T206 printers were artesians, honing their craft and carefully calibrating their tools.

Argument B- They were sloppy and probably drunk.

I guess if I had to vote I'd vote for B.

Matthew H
06-01-2013, 12:42 AM
I'm convinced that collecting scraps is awesome.... But... One T206 or 40 old judges... Hmmmm, I'll have to think about that one :)

Sean
06-01-2013, 01:30 AM
I never cared much for backs either. :D

Does anybody on here now have my old Frank Baker missing blue?

I bought a brown/yellow scrap Baker 6 or 7 years ago. Is that yours?
I'm sorry I can't post scans, but my computer is down, so I'm posting from work, and I don't have access to scans.

bobfreedman
06-01-2013, 01:34 AM
http://www.milehighcardco.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=30721

It involves two HOFers. I stick mostly with memorabilia but this type of collecting is very similar to coin collectors collecting errors (i.e. 1955 double die etc...). It has its own subculture and cult following. Nothing wrong at all with it and it is IMHO very good for the hobby.

atx840
06-01-2013, 01:39 AM
Nice one Sean.

http://i.imgur.com/rLoCwhs.jpg

Matthew H
06-01-2013, 01:56 AM
I'm sorry I can't post scans, but my computer is down, so I'm posting from work, and I don't have access to scans.

Burning the midnight oil, I love it! I busted my ass nearly 80hrs this week.... Looking forward to the next slow period.

mrvster
06-01-2013, 05:54 AM
i'm an emotional guy:)

may the Schwartz be with you!!!;)

VintageBall
06-01-2013, 08:32 AM
What's at the top of the list when it comes to these types of T206 cards? What do error/misprint collectors value the most? Printer's scrap? Misalignments? Overprints and ghost prints? Blank backs?

Also, where does something like this card fall? It's misprinted on the back (misaligned with two different factory overprints).

How much is something like this worth? Does the player on the front matter, in terms of value, these days?

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=192&pictureid=11506

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=192&pictureid=11507

atx840
06-01-2013, 08:44 AM
Neat card Robert. A little insight into the OP print process.

mrvster
06-01-2013, 11:01 AM
you have a very special card there Robert:eek:

never seen one like it:eek:

Gradedcardman
06-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Very tough Robert to put a value on the card. I agree with the Master Johnny V that is incredibly unique. With parts of 4 separate cards and a HOF to boot just simply a great card.

bcbgcbrcb
06-01-2013, 03:02 PM
Are T206's the only card set to ever have misprints? Don't think I have ever seen one on the board over the past few months that is not a T206..........

sb1
06-01-2013, 03:09 PM
T204 misprinted back

bn2cardz
06-01-2013, 03:24 PM
Are T206's the only card set to ever have misprints? Don't think I have ever seen one on the board over the past few months that is not a T206..........

A few posts ago in this thread someone put a e92, also there is an entire thread of t205 freaks and t207 freaks. Or was that sarcasm?

Peter_Spaeth
06-01-2013, 03:33 PM

No other card set matters to the cognoscenti. :)

Leon
06-01-2013, 04:09 PM
A few posts ago in this thread someone put a e92, also there is an entire thread of t205 freaks and t207 freaks. Or was that sarcasm?

Considering who the remark came from I will go out on a limb and say sarcasm. :) I would guess I have printing errors from approximately 20 different sets other than T206.

cfc1909
06-01-2013, 04:28 PM

T206Collector
06-01-2013, 05:34 PM

Could be! Please post scans! Cool...

Oh... The one posted above looks like it! Does it have a pencil erasure? Somebody had written "1B" on it, and I gently erased it with an art eraser.

mrvster
06-02-2013, 05:26 AM
you are becoming the master also;) thanx:)

teetwoohsix
06-03-2013, 01:29 AM
When I think of "unique" and "rare" T206 cards, it's the scraps/freaks/miscuts/ double&triple and multi back print, etc. That's why they are and probably will continue to spike in price. And, if the prices weren't so high, way more collectors would be going after them. ;)

If you can't afford a Magie/Wagner/Plank/Doyle Nat'l, and want rarity in your collection-this is where you end up. Or, go for tough front/back combinations.

The supply is limited, the cards are unique and rare, and I still don't think they have topped out yet.

As far as other sets, I would surely look at the freaks/miscuts/scraps/etc. the exact same way, if I collected those sets. The E92 shown earlier in the thread would be way more desireable(to me) than the regular one with no flaws, if I collected that set. That's just my take on it.

Sincerely, Clayton

Sean
06-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Could be! Please post scans! Cool...

Oh... The one posted above looks like it! Does it have a pencil erasure? Somebody had written "1B" on it, and I gently erased it with an art eraser.

The Baker that Chris posted is mine (thanks Chris). Is that your old card?
I don't see any erasure on it, but there is some paper loss on the back.
It's graded PSA 1 for some reason. I thought this type of scrap is always graded authentic ? Was it graded when you owned it ?

atx840
06-03-2013, 12:36 PM
I think when you were testing your scanner this was sent my way. It's an odd one, doesn't appear to be handcut or missing the same layers as the yellow/browns. Possibly its faded/chemical...not sure...still a great card.

T206Collector
06-03-2013, 01:39 PM
The Baker above is missing the blue ink pass in the printing process. There was a "1B" written just to the left of the name, and in the top area, I think you can see some erased script text.

Sean
06-03-2013, 08:35 PM
I can definitely see a small mark in front of Baker. Can't tell if it said 1B, but it could have. I don't see other marking, but I will look closer when I get home.

Sean
06-04-2013, 05:00 AM
I've looked closer and still don't see an erasure at the top, but clearly something was erased in front of the name. Even the "B" in Baker is partly erased. This must be your "missing blue" card. It does have more color than a yellow/brown scrap, but seems to have missed most of the blue pass. And it appears machine cut, unlike scrap cards. :confused:

This is why I love Net54. So far:
You guys explained why this is not a scrap like I thought;
Johhny told me that my Tinker/ Sovereign wet sheet transfer wasn't a WST, and Tim and Ron Kornacki explained that it was a cylander transfer;
Chris, Tim and another member whom I've forgotten (sorry :o) told me how my Plank was missing the dark blue pass, and that it wasn't really the sister card to the white Plank, as my card was from a print run at Factory 30 and Whitey was printed in Factory 25.

This kind of stuff is the reason that I joined Net54. :D Well, this and also so that I can score big with the ladies. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys.

mrvster
06-05-2013, 04:56 AM
you are a true "fringe" collector like me;) how have you been my friend?

Sean....your collection of freaks is SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also have Plank envy:D

T206Collector
06-05-2013, 06:51 AM
I don't think it was graded when I owned it. I would've had SGC do it, not PSA.

I knew it was an anamoly, and someone paid me a premium for it, but I am certain it is worth a lot more today. But then, I would have spent the funds on more T206 cards, so I think I did okay. Pretty sure I picked it up for around $40 about 10 years ago. Believe it or not...

Gradedcardman
06-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Don't let this die !!