PDA

View Full Version : Matty's hometown- any members from the Scranton, PA area?

JollyRoger
05-29-2013, 04:58 PM
I am currently out of town on business in Scranton, PA. I noticed a few signs around with Christy Mathewson's picture noting that this area is his boyhood home. I just drove by the high school he attended (Keystone High- now Keystone College). There is also a highway in his memory - "Big Six memorial highway." I'm hoping to hit up some antique shops (I've found a few) and find some Matty stuff (yeah right). I'd also like to attend a Railriders minor league game if I have time. Anyway, I think it's really cool that they still memorialize a great pre-war player here, and I just wondered if anyone knows of any other baseball related activities or places I should visit. Thanks for reading - Marshall

sycks22
05-29-2013, 05:19 PM
I think there's a well known paper company from there.:D

arc2q
05-29-2013, 05:36 PM
I was in Gettysburg, PA a few weeks ago and saw a memorial plaque along the road for Eddie Plank as well as a restaurant named in his honor called Gettysburg Eddie's. It does seem an awful lot of the pre-war players were from Pennsylvania.

Jay Wolt
05-29-2013, 06:04 PM
I was in Gettysburg, PA a few weeks ago and saw a memorial plaque along the road for Eddie Plank as well as a restaurant named in his honor called Gettysburg Eddie's. It does seem an awful lot of the pre-war players were from Pennsylvania.
Andy, the Plank plaque is on the property of Gettysburg College and two of the houses he lived in were down the street.
I was at the dedication of the PA State historical plaque.
His car dealership building is still standing and is a couple of blocks away from the plaque.
He's buried at Evergreen Cemetery which was in operation during Gettysburg's battle in 1863 and saw plenty of action.
General Hancock and his troops fought in there. Plank is buried in the civilian section. The soldiers section is across the street from the Eddie Plank restaurant. I was there w/ friends on Friday.

sbfinley
05-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Five or six years ago the wife and I made an antique run from that area up to New Hampshire while on a trip. Antique stores are so much better up North IMO. Found a shop outside of Dartmouth that had Exhibits priced at 25 cents in a post card bin. Good luck.

Bored5000
05-29-2013, 10:43 PM
It's funny that this thread appeared on the board now. I was going to wait a few weeks, then start a thread asking if anyone was going to Christy Mathewson Days in mid August in his hometown of Factoryville, Pa. The town of Factoryville, Pa., celebrates with a two-day festival on the weekend closest to Mathewson's August 12 birthday every year.

I am planning to make my first visit to Christy Mathewson Days this year. The local Keystone College, which was a prep school when Matty attended, always brings out an amazing display of Matty artifacts every year for the celebration. Sadly, the collection was the victim of a theft about a decade ago of Matty's 1905 Giants jersey as well as several Matty contracts. The items were stolen from behind their glass case after the college closed for the evening, and have apparently never resurfaced.

I know from reading other information about Christy Mathewson Days that Eddie Frierson often attends and gives a performance of his one man play "An Evening With Christy Mathewson." Last year, there was also a book signing with author Robert Gaines ("The Three Mathewsons"). In addition, a card and memorabilia expert on hand last year was willing to give appraisals of attendees' Christy Mathewson items. Lots of shiny stuff, I imagine.

Here is a site that talks about Christy Mathewson days and shows the super cool sign in town of Matty.

http://www.endlessmountains.org/event/606/Christy_Mathewson_Days

The Factoryville, Pa., town website that talks more about Christy Mathewson Days.

http://factoryville.org/community/christy-mathewson-days

Cool video of Factoryville, Pa., during Christy Mathewson Days. Check it out; definitely worth looking at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i9CppMoD1g

Bored5000
05-29-2013, 11:46 PM
Here is an article detailing the 1905 Mathewson jersey and two signed Mathewson contracts that were stolen from Keystone College during Christy Mathewson Days in 1999. AFAIK, the jersey and the contracts have never been found.

http://www.matty.org/mathewson_items_stolen.htm

JollyRoger
05-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the info! I'll most likely be home by then, but I'd love to attend the Christy Mathewson Days!

B][/B]It's funny that this thread appeared on the board now. I was going to wait a few weeks, then start a thread asking if anyone was going to Christy Mathewson Days in mid August in his hometown of Factoryville, Pa. The town of Factoryville, Pa., celebrates with a two-day festival on the weekend closest to Mathewson's August 12 birthday every year.

I am planning to make my first visit to Christy Mathewson Days this year. The local Keystone College, which was a prep school when Matty attended, always brings out an amazing display of Matty artifacts every year for the celebration. Sadly, the collection was the victim of a theft about a decade ago of Matty's 1905 Giants jersey as well as several Matty contracts. The items were stolen from behind their glass case after the college closed for the evening, and have apparently never resurfaced.

I know from reading other information about Christy Mathewson Days that Eddie Frierson often attends and gives a performance of his one man play "An Evening With Christy Mathewson." Last year, there was also a book signing with author Robert Gaines ("The Three Mathewsons"). In addition, a card and memorabilia expert on hand last year was willing to give appraisals of attendees' Christy Mathewson items. Lots of shiny stuff, I imagine.

Here is a site that talks about Christy Mathewson days and shows the super cool sign in town of Matty.

http://www.endlessmountains.org/event/606/Christy_Mathewson_Days

The Factoryville, Pa., town website that talks more about Christy Mathewson Days.

http://factoryville.org/community/christy-mathewson-days

Cool video of Factoryville, Pa., during Christy Mathewson Days. Check it out; definitely worth looking at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i9CppMoD1g

T206BrownHindu
05-30-2013, 07:09 PM
Hi all...I'm only about 10-15 minutes outside of (financially strapped) Scranton! The Scranton area is very rich with baseball history. My great uncle (Paul Foytack) grew up in Scranton and went on to pitch for the Tigers and Angels. I don't live very far from where Hughie Jennings is buried. 'Big' Ed Walsh was from Pittston, PA, which is only about 10 minutes from Scranton, as well.

All in all, Scranton has a great baseball history!

Mark Foytack

dealme
05-30-2013, 07:53 PM
In relation to the Matty thread, I found myself traveling through Lewisburg, PA last summer and stopped at Bucknell. There is a rather large gate in front of the football field that bears Matty's name. The gate has a large plaque honoring Matty.

I believe that the gate was constructed in hopes of luring the LLWS to the area, but that obviously didn't pan out. So there now stands a gate that sits in front of the school and really doesn't lead anywhere. I still thought it was very interesting, and was glad that I stopped.

Mark

Bored5000
05-30-2013, 09:32 PM
In relation to the Matty thread, I found myself traveling through Lewisburg, PA last summer and stopped at Bucknell. There is a rather large gate in front of the football field that bears Matty's name. The gate has a large plaque honoring Matty.

I believe that the gate was constructed in hopes of luring the LLWS to the area, but that obviously didn't pan out. So there now stands a gate that sits in front of the school and really doesn't lead anywhere. I still thought it was very interesting, and was glad that I stopped.

Mark

Matty played football, baseball and basketball at Bucknell and is also buried in Lewisburg Cemetery adjacent to the University.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=1577

Bored5000
05-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the info! I'll most likely be home by then, but I'd love to attend the Christy Mathewson Days!

B][/B]

This will be my first time attending, and I am really looking forward to it. I have passed the roadside sign many times touting Factoryville as the birthplace of Christy Mathewson, but I never realized what a big celebration the town has every August until I started doing some reading online. I am about two hours from Factoryville, Pa., but I plan on going Friday night to check out the display of Mathewson artifacts at Keystone College and to see Eddie Frierson's one-man play about Mathewson.