PDA

View Full Version : Net54baseball id "Sportscollector"

Leon
05-28-2013, 10:35 PM
I have strong reason to believe our member Sportscollector is not John Perez, as evidenced by a few of our members telling me, he said he is someone else. I have some other very damning information but it still needs to be vetted a little more. I would say that if you are doing any deals with him be very careful. For registering with a fictitious name he is banned. Please be aware.....

botn
05-28-2013, 11:38 PM
Thanks Leon. I had exchanged a few PMs with him about his ungraded cards he had offered and was not comfortable with where the PM's went nor the images he provided, for that matter. Anyway, hope it gets worked out.

ATP
05-28-2013, 11:48 PM
I made a purchase from him, and just sent you a PM Leon.
Best,
Jeff

ullmandds
05-29-2013, 05:32 AM
I purchased a 34 goudey WWG Ruth from him...despite the confusion over names and such the transaction went smoothly...hopefully the card will grade as agreed upon...it appears real and unaltered to me?!?!

Leon
05-29-2013, 06:33 AM
I received a polite email from "John". His deals might be fine but there are also some things that don't add up. It is still being looked into. Just be very careful. There was a conversation that was relayed to me, second hand, but it was not all good. I am not saying deals that have been done are bad....Hopefully it turns out ok and I will update this thread today. If it turns out my info is not correct I will apologize and we will move on. But if anyone saw the email I received, and had the conversations I have had, you would give pause. Again, hopefully it will be ok. ....thanks....

Leon
05-29-2013, 08:36 AM
I have asked to have a conversation with this person. We will see if he accepts. After that I will have more of an idea of what is going on. I got an update from the other board member this morning and the identity thing is puzzling, to say the least.

Sean1125
05-29-2013, 08:41 AM
He offered these cards to me a couple months before he registered on these forums... He pulled the same ordeal "I will guarantee this grade or refund", and the price was pretty much VCP for the grade... Never made a deal though. I even asked for some photos of his graded cards intent on purchasing two of them which he never provided me after a week of asking and probably 8 or 10 messages repeating my e-mail which he asked for each time...

milkit1
05-29-2013, 09:16 AM
That ruth looks nice :)

auggiedoggy
05-29-2013, 10:56 AM
I hope the Ruth card turns out well for you. It looks great from here! :)

atx840
05-29-2013, 10:58 AM
Hopefully the $6500+ Tinker UZIT transaction went smooth.

Leon
05-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Hopefully the $6500+ Tinker UZIT transaction went smooth.

I don't know what is going on yet but anytime someone tells me they didn't know they had to register with a real, correct name, I am suspicious. That's just the moderator in me :). I have heard from several people that did transactions with this person and they went alright. But something ain't right, that is for sure. Like I say, a nice long conversation should clear it up....and I will give an update if that happens. LL

Leon
05-29-2013, 12:10 PM
I just got off the phone with the Secret Service. There are allegedly (I was just told) multiple victims of this guy.....need I say more?

ullmandds
05-29-2013, 12:14 PM
oh sh$t!

Wite3
05-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Classic long con...sell a few legit...then rip off on the higher $$$...hope it works out though

EvilKing00
05-29-2013, 12:34 PM
OMFG! Perma ban

ATP
05-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Thoughts then for those of us who transacted with him?
Best,
Jeff

Leon
05-29-2013, 12:47 PM
Thoughts then for those of us who transacted with him?
Best,
Jeff

I have had quite a few PMs and emails saying transactions this person did with them were fine. I can't say about ones already done. It seems like a lot were good and many, I have no specifics on, were not so good.....If anyone is in the middle of a deal, and nothing has been exchanged yet, I would strongly recommend not doing it. If what I was told is true, and I have to believe it is, this guy might not be able to finish deals pretty soon.....just sayin'.....

ATP
05-29-2013, 12:48 PM
Are we talking more long con issues where he doesn't deliver after payment and disappears, or that his previous victims cards he is now selling to us...meaning that they are stolen.

Sean1125
05-29-2013, 12:51 PM
I just got off the phone with the Secret Service. There are allegedly (I was just told) multiple victims of this guy.....need I say more?

:confused::confused:

Leon
05-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Are we talking more long con issues where he doesn't deliver after payment and disappears, or that his previous victims cards he is now selling to us...meaning that they are stolen.

I can't say any specifics as I don't know. I asked the agent if there were victims. She said there are and was emphatic about it. That is all I needed to know, and I also know that it is an ongoing investigation. If anyone has been scammed, or thinks they have, you can PM me and I will give you the agents name and number to call.

Zone91
05-29-2013, 01:02 PM
And I thought I was bad by paying 99% of the time for items I purchase...had to say it Leon!!:p (FYI I know in reality this is no joking matter)

Ever since I saw him offer the Uzit card I had a gut felling this guy was trying to draw people in with smaller purchases first by doing good business then turning the table on them when it came to higher priced cards...but who would have believed me anyway (I was actually going to say it here but then I feared a all out war against me if it had not been true). The only deal I have done here...me and the seller agreed to do it threw Ebay for both our safety.

I would be very careful for those who gave their home address to this guy who knows who this guys knows...maybe robbers looking to do home break ins...just saying!! Gaining peoples trust here first to find out their collecting habits and such things to then later plan a robbery on them.

Post # 5

nolemmings
05-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Sorry to hear this but am puzzled by why the Secret Service would get involved. It was my understanding that their focus, to the extent they investigate crime, was countertfeiting, although they sometimes get involved in cases of massive fraud. FBI and others I could more readily understand, even the Postmaster General, but a division of Homeland Security? Strange IMO.

vintagetoppsguy
05-29-2013, 01:50 PM

This is the same guy that cried "FRAUF" in this thread...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=168643

Leon
05-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Sorry to hear this but am puzzled by why the Secret Service would get involved. It was my understanding that their focus, to the extent they investigate crime, was countertfeiting, although they sometimes get involved in cases of massive fraud. FBI and others I could more readily understand, even the Postmaster General, but a division of Homeland Security? Strange IMO.

I am guessing there is counterfeiting involved, from what I have heard, and massive fraud. I too was surprised it was the SS....but it is. I have already given the contact info to one board member....I am not making it up....

thunderdan
05-29-2013, 02:02 PM
Leon, thanks for the PM last night. I was suspicious of this guy when his N54 name didn't match his email name, and he took over a week to send me any pics. Decided not to go through with the 1957 Topps Frank Robinson deal. You saved me a major headache with paypal. Thank you.

ullmandds
05-29-2013, 02:36 PM
In my transaction with this guy...the negotiations went rather smoothly...I thought it was odd that his net54 name didn't match the name he was using in correspondence...and I actually asked him what his name was. He gave me a name claiming john was his dad...yet his name is a very long middle eastern sounding name...once I paid him he took 2 days to send the card...which scared me a little.

I DID receive the card...which he sent express mail.

For the life of me the card looks totally real...I've owned goudeys but never 34 wwg. I never even considered that maybe he was selling stolen goods.

Card has just been overnighted to sgc...so we shall know if it's real in a few days.

pete

ps thanks Leon for the correspondences

arc2q
05-29-2013, 02:37 PM
Leon, did the Secret Service contact you because of the posts on this board? Are they monitoring his user names and internet boards?

This is the same guy who was trying to out another guy who sold him a 1981 Topps FB case in a 1984 box...he wrote that post like he was an innocent victim. Man, I'm naive about who is scamming whom in this whole thing. You got accused scammers claiming other people are scamming him...

This is just an innocent question from a relative neophyte. It seems there has been an explosion recently in accusations / stories about baseball card scams. Is this just part of any business that deals in lucrative commodities or would long-timers say the recent threads and arguments about scams, bad deals, bad sellers, etc. are an abberation.

steve B
05-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Leon, did the Secret Service contact you because of the posts on this board? Are they monitoring his user names and internet boards?

This is the same guy who was trying to out another guy who sold him a 1981 Topps FB case in a 1984 box...he wrote that post like he was an innocent victim. Man, I'm naive about who is scamming whom in this whole thing. You got accused scammers claiming other people are scamming him...

This is just an innocent question from a relative neophyte. It seems there has been an explosion recently in accusations / stories about baseball card scams. Is this just part of any business that deals in lucrative commodities or would long-timers say the recent threads and arguments about scams, bad deals, bad sellers, etc. are an abberation.

Whenever there's enough money in it that sort of person will also be there. Sometimes even if there's only a little money. That box he griped about was probably originally from a dealer who pulled most of the good packs and then resold the box full of packs that wouldn't have stars, and for sure none showing. So a small time thing- although if someone did enough of that there'd be some nice profit.

The first fake card I bought was in 1978. Cost all of $2.

Steve B

vintagetoppsguy
05-29-2013, 03:25 PM
He is raresportscardsareus on eBay. I was looking at his feedback this morning. When I went to view it again just a minute ago, he's been NARU'd. Now, every time I try to click on one of his transactions I get a message that says, "This listing has been removed." I wonder if he was scamming people on eBay too?

thunderdan
05-29-2013, 03:44 PM
This is the same Frank Robinson card he's been trying to sell to me on N54. So, not sure if this is his account or somebody he tried to use to consign it. It didn't stay up on eBay more than 24 hours.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-TOPPS-FRANK-ROBINSON-35-PSA-9-NONE-HIGHER-POP-17-/181146862481?ViewItem=&item=181146862481&nma=true&si=t4Nax%252FZRBx9WTEtwnt81ctZTtfE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

John Perez is his name here. Den Prak was his name on the email he sent me with the pics. So John being his dad is unlikely. Trying to get quick hits on this card in multiple channels for short spurts is also suspicious to me. He said he also sold a 71 Munson PSA 9 on N54, so hopefully Leon has been in contact with that person as well.

Jlighter
05-29-2013, 03:49 PM
So you're saying this may not have been his Grandfather's? Say it ain't so.:eek::eek::eek:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=169208

thunderdan
05-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Yeah, the grandfather is usually a dead giveaway. I'm immediately dismissive of such, even though I'm sure in some cases it is in fact the truth. Still, that line has been used by far too many scammers.

Tcards-Please
05-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Leon,

Have you spoken with him yet? He's been lurking on the board, but has yet to respond to this thread. His silence speaks volumes.

r/
Frank

thunderdan
05-29-2013, 04:08 PM
How would he be able to respond? I thought he was banned?

Tcards-Please
05-29-2013, 04:10 PM
How would he be able to respond? I thought he was banned?

If he were banned, it would say "Banned" under his user name. He last logged in at 4:52pm today. I guess he is banned from the BST, but not banned here.

r/
Frank

vintagetoppsguy
05-29-2013, 04:17 PM
I thought he was banned?

That's what I thought too but, Frank is right, it does not say "Banned" under his username.

smokelessjoe
05-29-2013, 04:20 PM
I know this will be some very informative information......

I just did a Google Translate for "Den Prak" - it came up as Swedish meaning "The Practical" .... Again, very useful & informative information :)

Sean1125
05-29-2013, 05:19 PM
Wow... I am very glad I didn't end up buying some of the cards... I thought it was odd he offered some to me for $2500-$3000 less than he claimed to have sold them for later... Will watch for updates and how this plays out...:mad:

Leon
05-29-2013, 06:43 PM
If he were banned, it would say "Banned" under his user name. He last logged in at 4:52pm today. I guess he is banned from the BST, but not banned here.

r/
Frank

Since I had set his user name to his supposedly real name, John Perez, and it was admin controlled, it didn't have banned under his name. I just took that away and now it does say banned. He is banned from the whole board. I will have to look into how he was logged in as I see that too.
On top of that I just spoke with him. He tried to say that another board member was impersonating the Secret Service to me. I played along for several minutes then told him I was the one who called the secret service and spoke with them. Then he started talking about something else. He says all of his deals on this board were good and as far as I know they are, and have been. That doesn't alleviate the bigger issue of what the agent told me. I told him he should call the California division of the Secret Service tomorrow and get to the bottom of it. I went onto tell him that if his name gets cleared then he can come back. Unlike most scammers he was polite and cordial during our whole conversation. I dunno....but he won't be back on the board until I speak with the authorities and he has been cleared of wrongdoing in the hobby. I really don't see that happening but who knows.....

Zone91
05-29-2013, 07:14 PM
I do not mean to be disrespectful Leon but so seems most known serial killers are polite to....it is a fact most sociopaths are polite and appear to be normal that is how they gain peoples confidence to then use them or kill them!!!

They JUST love manipulating people and making them think they are normal people....don't be fouled Leon!!! I may be known as the 99%er on here but it is the 1% that are the most dangerous in our societies!!! He is probably just waiting to make a big score on someone here then he will go into hiding....leaving someone here in deep crap!!!

Post # 7

oldirtyfishkilla
05-29-2013, 07:54 PM
This guy was a member at sportscollectors.net under the name "sportscollecter" and caused a s$^t storm over there and was banned subsequently. His name was "Sammy" though.

EvilKing00
05-29-2013, 08:02 PM
Just a quick related note, i dont have my real name in my bio (net54 name) either, I told leon what my name is when he called me, but I have never really thought about it.

I can always update my bio, i guess.

the 'stache
05-30-2013, 09:51 AM

Wow. Just....wow.

I don't know what else to say but thank you for being on top of this, Leon.

There is a special circle in hell for people like this guy. :mad:

ullmandds
05-30-2013, 11:54 AM
On the urging of a fellow board member...I just attempted to open a dispute with paypal...but it appears as I am screwed as the invoice Den sent me was for an instant transfer...not goods and/or services...and apparently this cannot be disputed.

Does anyone know if I have any recourse?

Still waiting for response from SGC BTW!?

Taxman
05-30-2013, 12:03 PM
How did you fund the transfer? If by CC you could have some rights with the CC company.

Wite3
05-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Was it funds from a linked bank account or credit card? If credit card...you might have some recourse with the cc company.

ullmandds
05-30-2013, 12:04 PM
unfortunately...it was through my bank acct?!?!!?:confused:

Taxman
05-30-2013, 12:06 PM
Since it "could" be fraud, call the bank.

Leon
05-30-2013, 12:16 PM
This whole thing is going to get a bit bigger. My understanding is that this is a ring of scammers. I am told by a reliable source that Den was arrested 2 days ago and charged with 4 felony counts of fraud. My understanding is he is a pawn, along with others, in the scheme and the mastermind is now making himself out to be Den. Den supposedly is currently residing in a San Diego jail. I haven't confirmed it yet. Also, I am told this could get into 7 figure fraud territory, including thousand(s) of counterfeit cards. I do think the deals done recently on the board are going to be ok (not positive).....though there could be an alteration here or there. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Of course this person using Den's name has a Magic Jack phone which can't be traced. He is believed to be in Mexico going back and forth across the border into California. I haven't confirmed any of this but this is what I am being told.

Taxman
05-30-2013, 12:22 PM
Leon you are correct.

http://apps.sdsheriff.net/wij/wijDetail.aspx?BookNum=7BDtKFdwLU9aBIls4KpfB5Njsdl qXlmKyW3yhH9cKrU%3d

PERSONAL INFORMATION

Booking Nbr: 13736859 Last Name: PRAKONEKHAM First Name: DENPHET
Middle Name: Sex: M Race/Ethnicity: O
Date of Birth: 5/4/1964 Age: 49 Hair: BLK
Eyes: BRO Height: 5' 06" Weight: 120

HOUSING LOCATION

Facility: San Diego Central Jail Area/Housing Unit: 2/BKG
Address: 1173 Front Street City: San Diego

*For additional information, please click on specific link listed below*

Leon
05-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Hi Kirk...a bit more from the same site...

PERSONAL INFORMATION
HOUSING LOCATION

Facility Information & Directions Public Visiting Guidelines Visiting Schedule
SERVICES
(Browser must allow pop-up windows for this link)

Email this Inmate Schedule a Visit with this Inmate Register with VineLink for Status Notification of this Inmate Shop the Commissary

ARREST INFORMATION
Arrest Agency: San Diego Police Department Date Booked: 05/28/2013 Time Booked: 18:10:49
Bail Information
Eligible For Release, But Court Approval is Required, Bail Amount: $110,000
* Note: Bail amounts subject to change from Court Proceedings.
RELEASE
Sentenced?: No
Projected Release Date:
CASE / CHARGE INFORMATION
Case # Arr Chg Code Section Code Description *CL Court Court Date Time *ROC Bail Amount
1 1 530.5(A) PC GET CREDIT/ETC OTHER'S ID F SDF 05/30/2013 13:30 Arraign $50,000
1 2 487(A) PC GRD THFT:MONEY/LABOR/PROP F SDF 05/30/2013 13:30 Arraign $20,000
1 3 487(A) PC GRD THFT:MONEY/LABOR/PROP F SDF 05/30/2013 13:30 Arraign $20,000
1 4 487(A) PC GRD THFT:MONEY/LABOR/PROP F SDF 05/30/2013 13:30 Arraign $20,000
* Note: CL - Charge Class (F - Felony, M - Misdemeanor, I - Infraction)
ROC - Reason On Calendar

New Search

Rich Klein
05-30-2013, 12:38 PM
Simply WOW

We have hit the big time

botn
05-30-2013, 12:39 PM
unfortunately...it was through my bank acct?!?!!?:confused:

Sure there are lawyers on here who know better but the type of electronic transfer of funds you did is not protected by this type of fraud. The bank can retrieve money if the transfer was not one you authorized. ETFs do not have the recourse we are afforded through credit card purchases. Obviously this guy thought about that when he structured your deal. At this point, assuming the card does not grade, your only recourse would be to sue or hope he/they are made to pay restitution, which ends up being pennies on the dollar. Just ask JP Cohen.

vintagetoppsguy
05-30-2013, 12:40 PM
but it appears as I am screwed as the invoice Den sent me was for an instant transfer...not goods and/or services...and apparently this cannot be disputed.

Scott recently disputed one that wasn't for goods/services in this thread and he won. You might PM him for more details.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=167278&highlight=paypal

sb1
05-30-2013, 12:41 PM
On the urging of a fellow board member...I just attempted to open a dispute with paypal...but it appears as I am screwed as the invoice Den sent me was for an instant transfer...not goods and/or services...and apparently this cannot be disputed.

Peter,

Call paypal directly, I did when the Hope for Charities deal hit the fan, it too was out of the normal purchases realm. They made an exception and filed for a refund which I obtained after the standard waiting period.

Scott

botn
05-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Hi Kirk...a bit more from the same site...

PERSONAL INFORMATION
HOUSING LOCATION

Facility Information & Directions Public Visiting Guidelines Visiting Schedule
SERVICES
(Browser must allow pop-up windows for this link)

Email this Inmate Schedule a Visit with this Inmate Register with VineLink for Status Notification of this Inmate Shop the Commissary

ARREST INFORMATION
Arrest Agency: San Diego Police Department Date Booked: 05/28/2013 Time Booked: 18:10:49
Bail Information
Eligible For Release, But Court Approval is Required, Bail Amount: $110,000
* Note: Bail amounts subject to change from Court Proceedings.
RELEASE
Sentenced?: No
Projected Release Date:
CASE / CHARGE INFORMATION
Case # Arr Chg Code Section Code Description *CL Court Court Date Time *ROC Bail Amount
1 1 530.5(A) PC GET CREDIT/ETC OTHER'S ID F SDF 05/30/2013 13:30 Arraign $50,000
1 2 487(A) PC GRD THFT:MONEY/LABOR/PROP F SDF 05/30/2013 13:30 Arraign $20,000
1 3 487(A) PC GRD THFT:MONEY/LABOR/PROP F SDF 05/30/2013 13:30 Arraign $20,000
1 4 487(A) PC GRD THFT:MONEY/LABOR/PROP F SDF 05/30/2013 13:30 Arraign $20,000
* Note: CL - Charge Class (F - Felony, M - Misdemeanor, I - Infraction)
ROC - Reason On Calendar

New Search

Is Jeff admitted in CA?

vintagetoppsguy
05-30-2013, 12:43 PM
There is something that I don't understand unless I just missed it. He was arrested 2 days ago, but was logged onto this site yesterday. How does that happen? Multiple people sharing the same account?

Taxman
05-30-2013, 12:43 PM
If you talked to them and paypal does not honor the refund. You might try filing a claim with the San Jose Better Business Bureau. It worked for me on a bad deal(resealed wax) about 3 years ago.

ullmandds
05-30-2013, 12:55 PM
everyone...thanks for your advice...it's going to be a busy afternoon!!!

Leon
05-30-2013, 12:55 PM
There is something that I don't understand unless I just missed it. He was arrested 2 days ago, but was logged onto this site yesterday. How does that happen? Multiple people sharing the same account?

Short answer is yes. My guess, and this is only a guess, is that John Perez aka Den Prak, wasn't really Den Prak at all...nor John Perez, but in fact the ring leader whose name is unknown right now. There is a chance they gave each other login info on the board. It seems they were sharing some info between them with paypal, ebay or other accounts. Allegedly Den and several others are this ringleaders pawns. All that being said, I am only sure that Den is residing in jail, as evidenced by the above posts. Everything else is conjecture. I hope the whole kit and kaboodle get thrown in jail. My guess is that the ringleader is going to be difficult to catch unless there is cooperation from the Mexican authorities. It's a very tangled web....and a very large one.

Ease
05-30-2013, 01:55 PM
Simply WOW

We have hit the big time

x1000. Pretty wild eh?

howard38
05-30-2013, 02:24 PM

Cardboard Junkie
05-30-2013, 02:25 PM
Net54 COULD replace baseball as "The National Pastime".:D

ullmandds
05-30-2013, 03:17 PM
the verdict is in...my ruth was graded A for added color...paypal was kind enough to grant me 1 exception to their rule and file a claim for the full amount minus the grading fee I presume?!?!

If our friend, Den Prak, or whomever is at the receiving end of the paypal account does not respond in 10 days...paypal will pay me the full amount. If he does respond...who knows what may happen?!?!

brob28
05-30-2013, 03:22 PM
That's great news Peter - the paypal part :D

Cardboard Junkie
05-30-2013, 03:24 PM
Good Luck with that, Peter. I think you'll be ok. Dave

brob28
05-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Thinking of Leon's earlier post that this goes into the 1,000's of cards. The '57 Robinson shown in another post was in a PSA holder, hopefully these were not getting past TPG. On the other hand if these guys were creating their own slabs I sure hope there is a good way to spot them that comes out of this.

deadballfreaK
05-30-2013, 03:35 PM
Wow! I'm sure some of those cards could have fooled me. Good thing I'm broke! :o

Sean1125
05-30-2013, 03:39 PM
If anyone needs paypal help please PM me.

cobblove
05-30-2013, 03:39 PM
Could it be another WIWAG type deal? I wonder if these guys were getting into Fake PSA slabs and high grade modern stuff. Like Jordan 10s and what not. Will be interesting to see what comes of this. So these were the only transactions he did on here correct? But he did maybe 7 figures? Of what? Whats his ebay id if yall have it?

mullinsm
05-30-2013, 03:42 PM
the verdict is in...my ruth was graded A for added color...paypal was kind enough to grant me 1 exception to their rule and file a claim for the full amount minus the grading fee I presume?!?!

If our friend, Den Prak, or whomever is at the receiving end of the paypal account does not respond in 10 days...paypal will pay me the full amount. If he does respond...who knows what may happen?!?!

Just curious...if PayPal refunds your money, do you get to keep the card? It's still an authentic Ruth, after all.

Regardless, good luck! Sounds like it is going to work out for you. :)

Zone91
05-30-2013, 03:44 PM
Leon

Great job on this case!!!:) Now he can be a big time loser in jail!!!

Post # 1

Leon
05-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Could it be another WIWAG type deal? I wonder if these guys were getting into Fake PSA slabs and high grade modern stuff. Like Jordan 10s and what not. Will be interesting to see what comes of this. So these were the only transactions he did on here correct? But he did maybe 7 figures? Of what? Whats his ebay id if yall have it?

Please be careful quoting what I say in this thread as fact. Most of it is what I believe, or have been told, and is not substantiated. I was told it was in fact Jordon rookies on the fake cards and maybe some slabs....but again, don't take that as gospel. The reason this is sketchy is because of the amount of fraud, multiple scammers (a ring) and the ongoing investigation. The guy that told me he was Den, whom I spoke to yesterday, is obviously a skilled scam artist. I have got almost all of my info from another board member who I will not name. The Secret Service agent told me very little, of course. I wouldn't expect them to divulge much information. I asked if there were multiple victims, I was told yes. I said, if I were to say on my chat board that these people are bad people would that be true? I was told yes. There really wasn't a whole lot more in that conversation. I then forwarded some emails and offered my help in any way possible. Hopefully we will be able to find out more as it comes out....

Edited to add...I received 3-5 emails and PMs from board members that did good deals with this person. I didn't receive any emails or PMs of bad deals. The scammer even kept saying that all of his deals on the board were good, and he was correct. I have to believe it was to set up a bigger, fraudulent deal. There was a 40k one in the works that got stopped at the last hour....thank God. That might have been what they were going for on the board, I don't know.

deadballfreaK
05-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Just curious...if PayPal refunds your money, do you get to keep the card? It's still an authentic Ruth, after all.

Regardless, good luck! Sounds like it is going to work out for you. :)

Get the refund and keep the card! Offer it to the DA as evidence or keep it! F that crook. What's he gonna do, sue?

ullmandds
05-30-2013, 03:57 PM
thanks sean...

Peter_Spaeth
05-30-2013, 04:14 PM
"Edited to add...I received 3-5 emails and PMs from board members that did good deals with this person. I didn't receive any emails or PMs of bad deals. The scammer even kept saying that all of his deals on the board were good, and he was correct."

How was he correct if he sold Peter a recolored Ruth?

cobblove
05-30-2013, 04:16 PM
Thanks leon.
I was trying to just ask a question and thanks for the reply. I wasnt sure exactly what was going on and my questions were only questions and not facts.

Leon
05-30-2013, 04:17 PM
"Edited to add...I received 3-5 emails and PMs from board members that did good deals with this person. I didn't receive any emails or PMs of bad deals. The scammer even kept saying that all of his deals on the board were good, and he was correct."

Except that one....but I am not positive he even knew the card was bad when he sold it, not that it matters. But you are correct. Where I was going with this is that I don't think he had scammed on the board yet..(this altered card withstanding)

Peter_Spaeth
05-30-2013, 04:21 PM
Is this related, also involved scam out of San Diego?

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=117134&highlight=san+diego

Paul S
05-30-2013, 04:32 PM

Re coloring: Doesn't sound like he would know if his Ruth was tainted, anyway. Just my 2cents, but if i read Leon correctly, he was surf fishing before he goes deep sea for a marlin, ergo the 40k deal that was nixed at the 11th hour.

glchen
05-30-2013, 04:36 PM
Also note that the SK Ty Cobb that this guy was complaining about PSA grading on (Link (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=169208)) also came back as Altered, so it's possible it may have been recolored also. Also sold to a boardmember, but it looks like he accepted a return.

auggiedoggy
05-30-2013, 04:56 PM
I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I joined this forum! We have interesting topics, baseball expertise, how to spot fake cards, drama & suspense and now crime busting! :cool:

What's next and should I go out and buy some popcorn?

p.s. Well done Leon, btw!

EvilKing00
05-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Just some questions about this guy who had an account here:

1 - How long was he a member (ie when was his profile created)?

2 - How many posts did he have?

3 - any clue how many transactions he had before this mess?

Just wondering because I try and look an peoples profile info and try and judge if I should send them money or not. May not be a good way to judge but its all I have come up with so far.

PS - that's the reason I add every person who I have had a good deal with to my sig, that way, I , as well as the person on the other end of my deal gets some "feedback".

EvilKing00
05-30-2013, 05:15 PM
I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I joined this forum! We have interesting topics, baseball expertise, how to spot fake cards, drama & suspense and now crime busting! :cool:

What's next and should I go out and buy some popcorn?

p.s. Well done Leon, btw!

Yea popcorn and some 3D glasses, I heard net54 is going HD3D

Theo_450
05-30-2013, 05:45 PM
everyone...thanks for your advice...it's going to be a busy afternoon!!!

File a police report! You need that sort of documentation.

ullmandds
05-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Thanks ted...if i end up filing fraud through my bank i was told that may be a good idea.

ergoism
05-30-2013, 06:05 PM

Yes, that's him.

The scammer in this thread is one of the biggest the hobby has ever seen. I gathered much more information about him after two failed scams against me over a year apart. I was the one that had a $40,000 deal in the works, figured it out, and alerted Leon. I've connected him to multiple alts on CU, net54, and blowoutcards. He has been doing this for many years and is now perfectly replicating PSA slabs as well. It's believed that he is operating out of Mexico and will be very hard to stop. He was the ring leader of the Cyrus Stivers case and Stivers never even met him nor knew who he was. He does everything from out of the country and uses other people as pawns, some of them don't even know they're selling fraudulent or stolen cards.
His best scam is putting authentic, trimmed/altered/lower grade cards into fake PSA slabs. These things look scary legit.
If you have ever dealt with this person, it's highly likely what you received was either stolen or counterfeit.
I've connected him to the following scams:

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/football/466880-guess-mr-rodgers-superfractor-staying-stunning-20-000-psa-fakes-cant-fool-me-1.html

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=92552

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/basketball/444316-lebron-exquisite-rc-patch-auto-bgs-9-86-99-robbed.html

All of the following are likely banned or inactive now but here's some of his various alts (I'll update this list as I learn more):
net54 = sportscollector, sam1952
blowoutcards = supercollector2012, expertcollector
CU = Will update this soon.

eBay ids: reedca76, moderncollector2012, encapsulated_icons, top_shelf_cards, highest-grade

SetBuilder
05-30-2013, 06:19 PM
Thanks ted...if i end up filing fraud through my bank i was told that may be a good idea.

Peter,

Was the card real? Will you be able to get your money back and still keep the card?

Just wondering.

vintagetoppsguy
05-30-2013, 06:23 PM
All of the following are likely banned or inactive now but here's some of his various alts (I'll update this list as I learn more):

eBay ids: reedca76, moderncollector2012, encapsulated_icons, top_shelf_cards, highest-grade

I did some checking on Sam1952 after another board member accused him and Joey Farino of being one in the same (which they weren't). Sam1952 also has an eBay user id of jasonchicas based in San Diego.

ergoism
05-30-2013, 06:28 PM

I did some checking on Sam1952 after another board member accused him and Joey Farino of being one in the same (which they weren't). Sam1952 also has an eBay user id of jasonchicas based in San Diego.

I had that one noted too and checked it out. This scammer finds people via Craigslist to go into business with selling cards. It's likely that account was just someone else who was a pawn of his.

CW
05-30-2013, 06:55 PM

Perhaps he used his "one phone call" from jail so he could log onto Net54 and post his "goodbye, I'm leaving" thread?

:confused: ;)

Good to hear Paypal is working with you, Peter (this hobby should be nothing but fun and it sucks when you have to deal with this crap).

It's crazy to think the secret service is involved, but it's good to know they have our back!

MBMiller25
05-30-2013, 07:16 PM
It's interesting to me that these scams always seem to involve PSA graded cards/ holders. Hypothetically If your were PSA and were supposedly the biggest TPG out there, wouldn't you address the fact that your holder is easily breached, etc?

It's not hard to tell when a SGC holder has been cracked open, and frankly Beckett holders are damn near bomb proof and are destroyed when/if the holder is cracked.

I own many high end cards in PSA holders, and would frankly be a bit more at peace with their product if I wasn't left wondering if my cards might be fake, etc...

Sean1125
05-30-2013, 07:17 PM
It's interesting to me that these scams always seem to involve PSA graded cards/ holders. Hypothetically If your were PSA and were supposedly the biggest TPG out there, wouldn't you address the fact that your older is easily breached, etc?

It's not hard to tell when a SGC holder has been cracked open, and frankly Beckett holders are damn near bomb proof and are destroyed when/if the holder is cracked.

I own many high end cards in PSA holders, and would frankly be a bit more at peace with their product if I wasn't left wondering if my cards might be fake, etc...

I am also rather concerned at their lack of response to issues like this. I would think it reasonable to at least address it.

ullmandds
05-30-2013, 07:19 PM
it'd be super...if I got to keep the card...and get a refund?!?!?!:eek:

DavidG1966
05-30-2013, 08:11 PM
Fake Packs Authenticated by PSA and FBI Investigations and Fake PSA Slabs and Secret Service Investigations.... What could be next?

Maybe this guy knows?

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q581/DavidG1966/ontv_zps49f475fc.jpg

martindl
05-30-2013, 09:05 PM
it'd be super...if I got to keep the card...and get a refund?!?!?!:eek:

But then you'd be dishonest too.

Sean
05-30-2013, 09:11 PM
But then you'd be dishonest too.

I think that if paypal issues a refund and doesn't request the card, it's yours.
Unless the seller wants it back after he serves his time. :p

whitehse
05-30-2013, 09:31 PM
Yes, that's him.

The scammer in this thread is one of the biggest the hobby has ever seen. I gathered much more information about him after two failed scams against me over a year apart. I was the one that had a $40,000 deal in the works, figured it out, and alerted Leon. I've connected him to multiple alts on CU, net54, and blowoutcards. He has been doing this for many years and is now perfectly replicating PSA slabs as well. It's believed that he is operating out of Mexico and will be very hard to stop. He was the ring leader of the Cyrus Stivers case and Stivers never even met him nor knew who he was. He does everything from out of the country and uses other people as pawns, some of them don't even know they're selling fraudulent or stolen cards.
His best scam is putting authentic, trimmed/altered/lower grade cards into fake PSA slabs. These things look scary legit.
If you have ever dealt with this person, it's highly likely what you received was either stolen or counterfeit.
I've connected him to the following scams:

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/football/466880-guess-mr-rodgers-superfractor-staying-stunning-20-000-psa-fakes-cant-fool-me-1.html

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=92552

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/basketball/444316-lebron-exquisite-rc-patch-auto-bgs-9-86-99-robbed.html

I cant help but wonder if the scammer in question is related to the "Haiku" scam that was set up on Blowout as well. Haiku gave some great deals and was generally accepted as a "good guy" and ripped many off on the Blowout boards. There are epic threads over their discussing this scam but I could not find a name or location. I posted a thread asking for this information.

TMKenKen
05-30-2013, 09:59 PM
Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/member-sales-trade-feedback/415488-haiku-suspended-rumors-massive-scam-emerge-172.html

7nohitter
05-31-2013, 02:50 AM
If only people used their powers for good instead of this bull...

WhenItWasAHobby
05-31-2013, 05:49 AM
It's interesting to me that these scams always seem to involve PSA graded cards/ holders. Hypothetically If your were PSA and were supposedly the biggest TPG out there, wouldn't you address the fact that your holder is easily breached, etc?

I had similar thoughts reading through this thread. It seems like the fake PSA holder scam has been going on for at least 6 years - starting on Craigslist if I recall correctly. It's somewhat comforting to know that federal law enforcement is now involved, yet one has to wonder how many bad slabs are out there (quite a few I suspect over that length of time) and why wasn't PSA more proactive in improving their product? I know there were CU threads about this problem and of course they would be instantly deleted. PSA once used a hologram and some decoder gimmick - both of which were discontinued - but nothing really that "packs a punch" in addressing the problem.

arc2q
05-31-2013, 09:07 AM
What is the story about the photo of the guy holding the graded slab with a Cookie Monster picture inside and the Cops mugshot in the background? I have seen reference to this on multiple threads but no context. What is this story there?

vintagetoppsguy
05-31-2013, 09:20 AM
What is the story about the photo of the guy holding the graded slab with a Cookie Monster picture inside and the Cops mugshot in the background? I have seen reference to this on multiple threads but no context. What is this story there?

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=163800&highlight=andrew

Julz24
05-31-2013, 09:23 AM

I've been wondering the same thing.

vintagetoppsguy
05-31-2013, 09:30 AM
I've been wondering the same thing.

Basically another (former) Net54 member claimed he owned the famous T206 Nun’s Wagner and offered it for sale here on the boards not knowing its provenance. He was busted rather quickly, but stuck to his story. He offered “proof” that he owned the card by taking a picture with it. The pic was clearly photoshopped. Then the thread was spoofed by other members posting the same pic, but with him holding other famous items/memorabilia. He stuck with his story until the very end, never admitting he made the whole thing up. He was banned.

arc2q
05-31-2013, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the quick responses on the Nun Wagner / Cookie Monster card guy. I love the fact that he has dirty socks on the floor and lots of lotion on his dresser.

t206fix
05-31-2013, 09:58 AM
and lots of lotion on his dresser.

The life of a baseball card collector is a lonely one :(!

Paul S
05-31-2013, 10:08 AM
Don't forget, the sock on the floor is classic when you're holding The Wagner.
The photo has been passed around and PShopped more than your answer here:D

the 'stache
05-31-2013, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the quick responses on the Nun Wagner / Cookie Monster card guy. I love the fact that he has dirty socks on the floor and lots of lotion on his dresser.

It rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again.

the 'stache
05-31-2013, 11:21 AM
I just finished reading this whole thread, and my head is spinning. :eek:

I hope this guy ends up in a cell with a substantial man named Rufus.

nsaddict
05-31-2013, 11:41 AM
Rufus or his toothless cousin with the tattooed eyeballs, Ben Dover :)

Leon
05-31-2013, 11:53 AM
I just received a PM from another board member that analyzed the card he bought from these scammers. It is 100% altered. It looks like a large percentage are going to be altered. I believe he has opened a paypal dispute too. To anyone that bought a card from them be advised it could be altered and act quickly. That might be the only chance to recoup monies.

the 'stache
05-31-2013, 12:04 PM
I just received a PM from another board member that analyzed the card he bought from these scammers. It is 100% altered. It looks like a large percentage are going to be altered. I believe he has opened a paypal dispute too. To anyone that bought a card from them be advised it could be altered and act quickly. That might be the only chance to recoup monies.

Leon, you deserve a day off from this.

Leon
05-31-2013, 12:20 PM
Leon, you deserve a day off from this.

Thanks....I am very protective of our board. Once I know no one has been totally scammed I will leave it be. What ya'll see on the board is only a little bit of what is going on, there is some more behind the scenes.

Bocabirdman
05-31-2013, 12:39 PM
I say we chip in and pay this guy's bail.....and meet him at the gate.:D

the 'stache
05-31-2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks....I am very protective of our board. Once I know no one has been totally scammed I will leave it be. What ya'll see on the board is only a little bit of what is going on, there is some more behind the scenes.

I know you are, Leon, and believe, I greatly appreciate it. I've run a few forums in my day, and I know the amount of work behind the scenes (just parsing and backing up the database, keeping the php software up to date, etc) can add up on an active forum. With this being added to the mix, I can only imagine how much running around you're doing at the moment (physically and virtually).

Once I get a little more savings built up, I'm going to be buying some nice vintage cards at auction, on Ebay, and from our B/S/T board here (It just takes a while longer being on disability). I will do my due diligence, of course, but I feel better knowing that you are watching out for the safety of your members. And when there's trouble, the other members speak out. They police the hobby, so to speak. They bring suspicious auctions or members to the attention of everybody here. In doing so, they are also educating me. I'm learning what things I should be looking for. And when that is combined with what you're doing, it makes me feel much more confident about transacting here on the board.

At some point in the (hopefully) not too distant future, when I am able to get a round a little better, I'm going to go to one of the shows you guys put on. I would love to meet you and some of the other members. I can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon. I'll just try not to drool! :p

thehoodedcoder
06-01-2013, 07:24 PM

you should always pay with a credit card. paypal succumbs to them.

pay with a credit card, if you have a problem open your case with the credit card company. once you open the claim with paypal, you lose some of the power from the credit card company.

the credit card company will instantly credit you the money, then ask questions later. that is what you get for the 6 to 22 percent interest they charge on unpaid balances. they take the fraud hit on them, instead of leaving it on you. don't be fooled, if you pay with a bank card and the transaction is put through as a debit, then you have way less power in the dispute, then if it is put through as a cc transaction on the card.

kevin

thehoodedcoder
06-01-2013, 07:58 PM
hi,

my concern is about how fast cards move through some peoples hands. people buy to sell and then flip cards. its one thing to not deal with this guy but how do you know the cards you have are good.

what is the concrete way to tell if you have a card in one of these fake cases and flips. can someone really dive into the details and post a clear example of how to to indentify them?

kevin

Wymers Auction
06-01-2013, 09:16 PM
hi,

my concern is about how fast cards move through some peoples hands. people buy to sell and then flip cards. its one thing to not deal with this guy but how do you know the cards you have are good.

what is the concrete way to tell if you have a card in one of these fake cases and flips. can someone really dive into the details and post a clear example of how to to indentify them?

kevin

Good question Kevin I recommend you start a thread about that very topic.

aaron
06-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Leon.... if one wanted to contact the individual that you are talking to, how might one do so?

-Aaron smith

jwilson6204
06-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Just read through this whole thread. wow. I believe I talked with one of his pawns out of San Diego about a month ago on the phone. He wanted to trade a graded Cobb for one of my cards. Was a bit fishy as his card was worth about $3K more than mine. He never called back after I asked him about 30 questions and said I would require his card to go through a review at PSA first.

peterose4hof
06-29-2013, 07:38 AM
Any new information about this case?