PDA

View Full Version : Number of T204 sets by members

sb1
05-28-2013, 04:59 PM
I wanted to do a brief survey of how many members here have complete sets or are working on a set of T204's. Many years ago most auction houses always used the term "less than 10 known complete sets" every time they auctioned a set off. Is this reasonable to assume in the year 2013? PSA has 5 current complete sets and SGC had 3 near sets. I know of one other raw complete set and have to assume there are a handful more, but perhaps not?

Anyone here have a set or working on one? If you prefer not to post but want to PM me to be counted that's fine too.

z28jd
05-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Since you have collected this set forever Scott, what is your guess on just how many T204 cards are out there? Would you say less than 100 examples of each(or most) cards. I was surprised a little by some of the SGC pop #'s when I checked. Most were higher than I expected based on what I've heard in the past

Just checked, Doc Gessler and Tom Reilly are the two lowest pop players on SGC, five each. Who knew on Reilly!

sb1
05-28-2013, 05:36 PM
John,

I would guess 50+/- of most cards, most PSA pops are 20+/- SGC's about the same or slightly less( and I think many of these from both services, are crackouts or resubmits and I know a lot are crossovers) and figure another 20 raw. It would be hard to imagine 100 of each player surviving, maybe 60+ of a few. And, most of the 50-60 per player would be Vg or lower. I also feel there are a few that have total pops of 30+/-.

Cardboard Junkie
05-28-2013, 05:57 PM
I have 10 T204s raw, but I'm not building a set. See the espn Burdick thread about 1 or 2 pages down. Looks like an uncut sheet? I would think there are more raw sets of 204s than graded. Dave.

sb1
05-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Actually the Burdick page in the video were individual cards glued on a page as were the majority of Burdick's collection.

sb1
05-28-2013, 06:57 PM
I have been PMed with the 2nd raw set of T204's that I am aware of. I really think it will be surprising if more than a handful of raw sets are reported.

shammus
05-28-2013, 07:39 PM
Scott, I'm working on this set but it will be a long-term goal for sure. I have about 55 cards so far, the majority of which are raw.

CardTarget
05-28-2013, 08:09 PM
Well, since we started collecting eBay data (4+ years) and at least 7-8 years worth of major auction house data, there are still 4 examples that have never sold individually and we have no price data for at CardTarget.

Seems like a set that would have equal numbers of cards outstanding but that doesn't seem to be the case. Several are definitely much more rare.

Michael Peich
05-29-2013, 12:06 PM
Interesting question, Scott, and glad you posted it. I think the cards are beautiful and I once thought of pursuing the set, but my interests shifted. That being said, I add them when I can and currently have 51 cards, all of them encapsulated. I know of three sets, yours being one, but think the other two are encapsulated.

I've been so focused on Southern Leagues for the past few years, especially T209-II, that I know I have missed some good recent Ramly examples to add to my set. But, Brian could be speaking for me--it's a long-term collecting goal.

I hope more people weigh in on the thread. (Sorry, Leon, I forgot my quarter.)

Cheers,
Mike

PS-Here's my Eddie Plank, freed from all those distracting, frilly borders!

z28jd
05-29-2013, 01:20 PM
It's such a nice looking set that I'm surprised we don't hear more about it, but I can think of a few reasons.

cost probably keeps some set collectors away

availability, unless you buy a large group, it is definitely a long term goal

combining those two reasons, if only a couple more people went heavy into the set, that would be all you need to drive up prices. I'm sure that has happened in the past to some people just starting out, saying they won't pay $100+ for a low-grade common from a set that big, only to see prices keep going up

players selection. They didn't pick the best group

all portraits could be a turn off to some people, not much variety

I personally have six T204 cards and honestly can't remember the last time I bought one, but I'm willing to bet it was at least 7-8 years ago. Not that I wouldn't buy more, the prices were just going too high when I stopped

sb1
05-29-2013, 02:28 PM
But John, they are all Carl Horner photos, at a very cheap price compared to the real deal. What more could a collector or early images want. :)

z28jd
05-29-2013, 03:06 PM
But John, they are all Carl Horner photos, at a very cheap price compared to the real deal. What more could a collector or early images want. :)

They lost me as a big fan when they decided not to put Pirates players in the set!

bn2cardz
05-29-2013, 03:15 PM
When I first learned of this set as a teenager I really wanted to collect the set. Then I went to buy my first one and couldn't find any. Then I finally found some and they were outside my range.

I do now have one, but I think just having the one will satisfy me for a while and I think it presents very well for the technical grade.
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k607/bn2cardz/bn2cardz/T204Hartzell_Ramly_VG3.jpg

sb1
05-29-2013, 03:22 PM
John,

Oddly they left out the Pirates and the only known Ramly premium which was obtained by box front and some change, is of............The Pirates(see scan).

Andy, nice Hartzell! At some point it was saved in an album and then soaked out as the flecking is a result of such, but super strong corners with big borders.

Peter W Thomas
05-29-2013, 03:56 PM
At one point I had 3 complete sets and was working on 4 more ranging from 90% to 70% complete. Finally drew back to 1 complete PSA set, and I am about 75% complete on an SGC set. Also trying to get as many TTT and blank backs as possible. The PSA set has all of the square border cards included.

z28jd
06-22-2013, 05:33 PM
So Scott, did we ever get a final count on this?

deadballfreaK
06-22-2013, 05:55 PM
I'm kinda stunned to hear people say there are less than 100 of each. I started a set long ago, but drifted away into other interests. I have 11 raw: Reulbach, Pelty, Street, Arrelanes, Ritchey, Jimmy Collins, Rucker, Burchell, Thomas, Ball, and Dunn. 3 graded: Harry Davis PSA 3, Mike Donlin SGC 50, and Bill O'Hara GAI 1.5. Too lazy to put up scans at the moment.

T206Jim
11-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Anyone care to hazard a guess as to how many Ramly Chief Benders exist?

ullmandds
11-20-2013, 03:35 PM
I'd say there'd have to be atleast a tribe of benders out there?

z28jd
11-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Anyone care to hazard a guess as to how many Ramly Chief Benders exist?

Scotty B gave a guess above that most of the cards exist in the 50-60 examples range, So Bender probably falls in that group

sb1
11-20-2013, 03:54 PM
I would say 40-60 of many Ramly's exist while a few may number close to 100, other scarcer ones may only number 20-25.

I would out Bender in the 40-60 category, but keep in mind these are oversized for the era and on thin stock, most of the survivor's are in the Fair to VG range.

Griffins
11-20-2013, 04:24 PM
I'd be interested to know how many examples of square frames exist- it seems like 1 is tougher than the rest, would like to know if that is actually true or anecdotal.

sb1
11-20-2013, 04:41 PM
I would say only 8-10 of most of the square frames and that may be high, perhaps 6-8, Anderson being tougher, perhaps only 5-6. I have verified 4 of them as different examples. It was not discovered until 1986 or so by a fellow board member.