PDA

View Full Version : Resource materials for pre-war minor leaguers

goudey1933
05-26-2013, 06:54 PM
What are the best books etc. used to research players in minor league sets such as the T210,T206 SL.s,etc.?Not just players but general info. on the various leagues etc.

Joe_G.
05-26-2013, 10:04 PM
Hello Scott,

You might want to start out simply studying Baseball Reference. They have made significant strides over the last couple of years updating the Minor League stats.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/

I also have a good Encyclopedia of Minor Leagues that has been a great reference for me. I'll dig it out tomorrow and share the ISBN (couldn't find it during a quick interent search). I don't want to disturb some guests we have sleeping with us tonight.

thecatspajamas
05-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, 3rd ed. by Lloyd Johnson and Miles Wolff (c) 2007 ISBN: 978-1-932391-17-6
Excellent for identifying what the leagues were for any given year, which teams were in which leagues, who the president of each league was for each year, etc.

Otherwise, as stated above, baseball-reference.com/minors/ is an excellent resource. They have been collaborating with SABR to fill in the information, and have made strides in recent years. As expected, the further back you go, the more spotty the roster info gets (often just last names on the rosters), but it's definitely getting there.

goudey1933
05-27-2013, 04:28 AM
Thanks alot.Exactly what I was looking for.Ordered it from amazon.